Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New MBP and Key->screen marks?

New MBP and Key->screen marks?
MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2007, 05:50 PM

So I just picked up a new 15" 2.4ghz Santa Rosa MBP with the Matte screen.

Much to my Wife's joy, it is replacing my old 1ghz TiBook, which will now be hers (actually, who am I kidding? She commandeered it months ago). Back when I first got my TiBook I was ignorant to the problem of the keys touching the screen when the lid was closed. I got some nice little key marks etched into the screen, before I wised up and got one of those micro-fiber cloths to put between the keys and the screen.

Now I have my new MBP, and the question is: is this still a problem? And how about the track pad button? It looks to be much much higher than my TiBook. Do I need to get a cloth that will cover the whole top surface, including the track pad button? If so, any recommended protectors?

ddma
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 06:15 PM

No, since the 2nd generation Aluminum PowerBook G4 to the latest MacBook Pro, Apple has fixed the issue.

D.
The stupidest user.
.ddma.SAY - http://www.didierma.com

rjt1000
Senior User
Jun 24, 2007, 06:25 PM

I keep a sheet of clean white printer paper between keyboard and screen both on my Pismo (where keyboard marks are a known issue) and my G4 12 1.33 PB (where it is not). Maybe overkill on my G4 PB? But my screen is in great condition and the sheet of paper is cheap and no hassle (at least for me). I'm sure I'll do the same with the 15" MBP I'm planning to buy later this summer.
( Last edited by rjt1000; Jun 24, 2007 at 06:37 PM. )

pete
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 08:49 PM

I think it is still a problem. Both the MBPs I had last year and my newest SR get marks from the keyboard. Not as much as the earlier PBs but the marks are still there. On my new one, it's on one side and nothing on the other side. Only keyboard, not trackpad.

Taylor C
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2007, 09:25 PM

Where can I get one of those microfiber cloths? Doesn't one come with the iClear kit?
15" MacBook Pro - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 2GB - 7200RPM 160GB HD
20" iMac - 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo - 1 GB - 250GB
8GB iPhone

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Taylor C View Post
Where can I get one of those microfiber cloths? Doesn't one come with the iClear kit?

Yep, it sure does, and it does the job nicely.

Just remember to throw it in the wash every once in a while. I forget, and I get key shaped dust marks on the screen when I do.

pete
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 09:48 PM

I use a piece of white paper too...works perfectly.

treday630
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2007, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by pete View Post
I use a piece of white paper too...works perfectly.
Or just use that sheet paper that packed with the MBP.

Forum Links
Forum Rules