Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Modem options

Modem options
scdean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2001, 04:50 PM

Since I've been f@#$ed out of my Global Village USB modem since upgrading to 9.1, what are my options? Does anyone make a PCI internal modem? My internal modem port was replaced with a GPort serial port. I might try my older Global Village 33.6 modem there, but I would prefer 56K. Should Zoom be responsible for making GV products work with newer operating systems? They sure are happy to rest on the laurels of the name brand. Or is Apple to blame for changing Remote Access enough that the USB modems don't work under 9.1

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2001, 11:48 PM

You have one real option, get a new serial modem.

PCI modems have never, and will never work in Macs.

Zoom seems to have dropped their support for global village, and won't help you in any way at all. Pretty stupid IMHO.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

scdean  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2001, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the reply. I tried my 33.6 GV serial modem in my Gport and it does work. Has anyone used or heard of Mac Modem Magic 5.0 from macntosh.com? They claim to have scripts that work with virtually all modems including GV and with OS 9.1 and X. having said that, I also read where this is a scam. Anyone?

Forum Links
Forum Rules