Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Ext large FW HD's recomendatons?

Ext large FW HD's recomendatons?
Toccatexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 03:56 PM

Hello

I now have a Canon DV cameara and plan to use the iMovie4.

Id like to get a firewire ext HD to use as a 'holding place' for video from this camera and old VCR tapes.

I have a G4Dual now, plan to get a G5 dual when the flat panels have smaller pixels.

G4 is 400 FW.

it seems that the 200 - 250 GB range is a good "value" with plenty of room.

Ive had LaCie drives in the past and found them to be an excellent company. they may have quantum drives.

I have a WD HD in the G4 in additon to a "barracuda" Ive had no problems with these.

should I buy by 'price?' WD vs LaCie

should I buy just the drive and a recomended separate encloser?

should I get a 800 FW now realizing that it will only get these speeds on the 'future' G5, or save and get the 400 FW now and deal with these issues later?

thanks for your advice and experience

Tocca

Weezer
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 05:47 PM

You should definitely just get the drive and then an enclosure. You can get drives as cheap as 25 cents a gig nowadays after rebate, which is much cheaper than if you get a regular external.

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Feb 10, 2004, 11:02 PM

www.firewiredirect.com has some good stuff. I am going to purchase a replace for my 80GB any day. I would like to get a 320GB FW 800 (even though I have a G4 - it will be 'more' useful when I get a G5)

Dr.Michael
Feb 11, 2004, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by Toccatexx:
Hello

I now have a Canon DV cameara and plan to use the iMovie4.

Id like to get a firewire ext HD to use as a 'holding place' for video from this camera and old VCR tapes.

I have a G4Dual now, plan to get a G5 dual when the flat panels have smaller pixels.

G4 is 400 FW.

it seems that the 200 - 250 GB range is a good "value" with plenty of room.

Ive had LaCie drives in the past and found them to be an excellent company. they may have quantum drives.

I have a WD HD in the G4 in additon to a "barracuda" Ive had no problems with these.

should I buy by 'price?' WD vs LaCie

should I buy just the drive and a recomended separate encloser?

should I get a 800 FW now realizing that it will only get these speeds on the 'future' G5, or save and get the 400 FW now and deal with these issues later?

thanks for your advice and experience

Tocca
Some days ago I opened a thread on this. Maybe it contains valuable information for you (if you don't mind my lousy english).

Michael

Sarotech or Lacie external case

Toccatexx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 12:55 PM

thanks for the advice.

Wheezer:

can you direct me to sites where I can look for drives that are on the order of 25 cents/ gig?

Ive found only about $1 / gig

thanks Ill look for the encloseres at the other posters reference to firewire.

thanks again

\Tocca

Forum Links
Forum Rules