Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > changing HD in LaCie firewire HD??

changing HD in LaCie firewire HD??
Toccatexx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2004, 01:43 PM

Hello
I have an old LaCie firewireHD with a 30 GB hd. big then!

as Im adding a 250 to my G4 dual ( it has two HD's in it, 80 each), can I take out the 80 GB from the dual's lower bay and place it inn the LaCie enclosure?

thanks

Tocca

Dr.Michael
Feb 12, 2004, 05:50 PM

Sure, no problem except that any warranty from Lacie will be lost then.

I changed the drive in my Lacie USB case. Works great.

Make sure to pull the plug before you open the case and ground yourself before you touch electronic parts (and while you work on them).

Michael

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 09:50 PM

Lacies warranties are only a year. After that, I'd be willing to risk destroying a 30gb drive in the hopes of upgrading it. Is it just a matter of removing the case screws and pulling out the cable?

Dr.Michael
Feb 13, 2004, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
Lacies warranties are only a year. After that, I'd be willing to risk destroying a 30gb drive in the hopes of upgrading it. Is it just a matter of removing the case screws and pulling out the cable?
Right.
There is the power supply and interface electronics in the case and the well known power- and ATA connector just like in any pc or powermac.
Just open the case, internally in my usb case the harddrive has also been fixed with screws that had to be removed. Then you only have to disconnect power- and interface cable and put it together again with the new drive. Thats it.

Very easy.

M.

Forum Links
Forum Rules