Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > AOL Keeps Quitting

AOL Keeps Quitting
majdadefp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 03:59 PM

Hi,
Anyone have this problem? iMac 400 DV with AOL for OS X loaded (the machine is running Panther), and for no apparent reason AOL keeps quitting. The machine has plenty of RAM (512mb) and a 40GB HD, so I don't think it is a memory issue. Accessing AOL via Netscape or Explorer does not lead to this problem, but for some reason AOL's own software won't run properly on the machine. AOL is saying that there is a hardware problem. Anyone have any insight on this one?

I, Macman

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2005, 05:42 PM

Are you talking about AOL instant messenger (AIM)?
If you are, then the easy option would be to use Ichat instead.

It's a better client, better gui, more features and is fully compatible with AIM.

Sean

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2005, 06:16 PM

AOL's Mac software is much better than it used to be but still isn't very good. It does crash. Fortunately there is little reason to use it, unless you're trying to access AOL premium content. What are you using it for?

Chris

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 05:19 PM

My dad runs AOL on his iMac G4 and the AOL software crashes fairly frequently. It's their software ... it has issues.

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2005, 11:20 PM

AOL and Apple just never got along. In my opinion putting AOL on a Mac is like letting my 2-year-old sribble over a rembrant.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2005, 11:27 PM

There are only two reasons you need to run the AOL client:

1) You use AOL as your internet service provider.
2) You need to view AOL premium content.

You do not need to run the AOL client to surf the internet, or to use your AOL email account.

Chris

majdadefp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2005, 01:32 AM

So . . . really . . . how do you guys feel about AOL's software . . .? Just kidding--thanks for the comments-- I am actually asking to try to help a customer, though I will say that I use the AOL client to access my AOL mail (and at times check out some of their content) and am having none of the issues that he is having. I run it on my iMac 600 with Panther and my clamshell 466 with Tiger. This particular customer also has a G4 and apparently has no AOL issues with that machine, just with the iMac G3 400 I sold him. He is leaning toward this being a hardware problem, but I am not convinced-- I tested the machine before sending it out and had no problems. Anyway, thanks everyone for your input. I especially like the comment about the two-year old and the Rembrandt.
I, MacMan

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 11:37 AM

My parents (PC users) have been on AOL for years, and most of the people I know refuse to use any other Email address of mine besides my AOL address that's on my parents' account. I tried using AOL on my iBook for a while, and it CONSTANTLY crashed (about 80% of the time).

I stopped using AOL at all. I use iChat and Mail to use my AIM name and check my AOL Email. There's no reason for me to use AOL anymore, and I'd suggest everyone to steer clear of trying to use it on a Mac.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
I use iChat and Mail to use my AIM name and check my AOL Email.
I agree with you. That's the best way to do it.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules