Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Router and Airport Extreme

Router and Airport Extreme
finknottle
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2005, 07:21 PM

I have an Airport extreme base station connected to a cable modem. This might seem like a dumb question but do I need a router - or is there one in the airport extreme? I would like to have a hardware firewall. If I do need one, what type of one would you recommend or any models that anybody thinks are very good?

Thanks in advance!

Cold Warrior
Sep 11, 2005, 07:53 PM

the airport extreme is a router. I don't know if it has a firewall -- I have an AE in my closet. Never used it. Got a WRT54G the same day so the AE has been collecting dust for nearly a year. But your mac has a firewall you can turn on.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 02:49 AM

I think the firewall may be on by default, at least in 10.4.2. Check under System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have the firewall turned on already but I was reading recently and then listening to the Security Now Podcast that one should have both a hardware and software firewall. Would you disagree with this?
Thanks again!

brachiator
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 09:38 AM

Oh, sorry! Seems I forgot to RTFP... ;-) No, I wouldn't disagree that having the hardware firewall is also helpful.

According to the Apple document Designing Airport Networks, at p. 17:

You can separate your wireless network from the outside world with firewall protection.
The AirPort Extreme Base Station and AirPort Express have a built-in firewall that
creates a barrier between your network and the Internet, protecting data from Internet-
based IP attacks. The firewall is automatically turned on when you set up the base
station to share a single Internet connection. For computers with a cable or DSL
modem, AirPort can actually be safer than a wired connection.
This doc and the rest of the Apple support site for AE should be the best place for you to start. Good luck!

finknottle  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2005, 07:04 PM

Perfect! Thanks very much for the quick answer!! I'm set so.
Thanks again

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 04:09 PM

I might sound dumb, but i'm new to these airport thingies..
So, if i get an iBook and an Airport Extreme Base Station, i'll be able to use wireless internet connection.Am i right in this one?What else do i need?I've got a DSL connection of 2 mbps.

brachiator
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 04:18 PM

Yeah, pretty much. You'd plug the ethernet cable from the DSL modem into the Airport, configure the Airport from the iBook (including, I hope, enabling the security and encryption features), and you'd be off to the races. \

Oh, and it doesn't sound dumb. Just be sure to read the manuals and such. It is pretty straightforward.

Screwball
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2005, 05:18 PM

Thanks a lot!
I previously thought it was much more complicated!Thanks again

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2005, 02:53 PM

I have a Aiport Base Station Extreme with out the antenna port, I also have an extra Wireless unit from Linksys - WRT54gs (should not have gotten the gs, oh well).

Here is my question.

I would like to extend the range of my wireless as I am in an old wood house and the wireless reception is very poor.

I have tried to set up the ABSE with WDS but the Linksys does not see the signal. I am wondering if I am setting it up wrong or if they just cannot talk to each other other than though wires.

Does anyone have any hints on this.

thanks,
West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

Forum Links
Forum Rules