Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Pauses before an Application loads

Pauses before an Application loads
manofsteel300
Jun 16, 2001, 10:01 PM

Today when i booted up my computer everything seemed to be in working order. However, whenever i launch a program I experience a 4 second pause before it begins to load the program. My computer is unusable during this time, and just hangs. After the 4 seconds are over, it continues to load teh application. What is going on? Thank you in advance.
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Phorte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2001, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by manofsteel300:
<STRONG>Today when i booted up my computer everything seemed to be in working order. However, whenever i launch a program I experience a 4 second pause before it begins to load the program. My computer is unusable during this time, and just hangs. After the 4 seconds are over, it continues to load teh application. What is going on? Thank you in advance.</STRONG>
Well, I would first start by trying a PRAM reset and rebuilding the desktop. Also, what programs are you running? Perhaps it is attempting something with your internet connection, which can sometimes cause pauses.

Cipher13
Jun 21, 2001, 06:52 AM

Are you on a network of any sort? Are you hosting a server - say, a file server with program linking on?

Try trashing your System and Finder preference files.

Whats your memory situation? We need more info. Computer type, system version, stats, etc.

How much RAM do you have, and how much virtual memory? Etc.

<PC_Ron58>
Jun 21, 2001, 08:37 AM

<STRONG>Today when i booted up my computer everything seemed to be in working order. However, whenever i launch a program I experience a 4 second pause before it begins to load the program. My computer is unusable during this time, and just hangs. After the 4 seconds are over, it continues to load teh application. What is going on? Thank you in advance.</STRONG>

<PC_Ron58>
Jun 21, 2001, 08:41 AM

I notice a small delay when opening folders or files on my B&W G3 when I have a CD in the drive. I think the drive spins down after a short amount of time, and each time you perform an "open" command, the drive spins back up, and you wait for a few seconds.

This is quite noticable and I always remove CD's from the drive if I'm not using them.

manofsteel300  (op)
Jun 21, 2001, 01:16 PM

Hey thanks guys for replying.

I also posted this to the hardware section of these boards, because i wasnt sure if it was software or hardware. Hehe. turns out it was software (a virus) but the guys over at the hardware boards helped me figure that out. If you want to know it was the sevendust/666 virus, and i managed to clean it out.

Thank you anyway.

-manofsteel300
DOS Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq, Tandy, and millions of others are by far the most popular, with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans, on the other hand, may note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans, and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -- New York Times, November 26, 1991

Forum Links
Forum Rules