Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Invisible applications??

Invisible applications??
flyhigh37
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2001, 01:42 PM

Ok, so speaking theoretically......
Say I needed to place an appliction onto a computer that needed to be constantly running, but had to make it so that all users would never detect the application (not that they would be looking for it, so it really would just need to be minimally hidden). How can I make an application invisible from identification, specifically I would assume in the top-right menu bar, and even in the folder it resides in. thanks for the tips!!
-flyer

reader50
Administrator
Jun 24, 2001, 02:45 PM

You can make SETI@home invisible using ResEdit or other utility. First change the name of the S@H Control Panel to one or more spaces " " so it's name will not show when it launches.

You can get rid of the S&H boot icon by changing it to something generic in ResEdit. You can also get rid of the green menubar icon with ResEdit. The tricky part is setting the screen to blank in 0 minutes, I have not figured that one out yet. Probably not too difficult though.

Remember to set each copy of SETI@home to a Team MacNN account. And thanks, we can use all the units from every school or business Mac that you can slip SETI on to.

George Orville
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2001, 02:57 PM

Change Invisability is an easy to use FreeWare provided by Alsoft.....
It can be downloaded from.....
http://www.alsoft.com or try
http://www.versiontracker.com and the use the search function.....
bigbiker

flyhigh37  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2001, 08:51 PM

sweet, well the change invisibility program works like a charm, and has completely solved the issue of hiding the application's location. However I still need to somehow hide the application from the top right menu-bar, where all open applications are shown. I'm not too skilled in ResEdit, and although helpful, reader50's advice isn't detailed enough for me. 1st, is there a way to hide it without actually editing the program??? and 2nd, if I must edit the program, how exactly would I get it to just not show up in the application menu-bar. thanks alot!!
-flyer

<anonymous>
Jun 24, 2001, 10:03 PM

Open the Seti application (closed) in ResEdit and then open the 'Size' resource, open ID 1. Scroll down to the 'Background only' radio buttons and select 1, yes (change from 0, no). Background apps don't show up in the application menu (far right pulldown menu).

<anonymous>
Jun 24, 2001, 11:04 PM

Here's an AppleScript to toggle visibility of a file:

ftp://gaea.netopia.com/pub/applescript/osaxen/FileVisibility.sit.hqx

Don't know if it's the same one mentioned above.

Forum Links
Forum Rules