Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9:Icon "checkers"

OS 9:Icon "checkers"
MacRick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2001, 04:34 PM

First: I'm running a PowerMac 7600/132 (yes, I know it's slow!) with 336 megs of RAM, OS 9.0.4 and the original 1.2 GB internal as startup drive plus a 3.0GB second internal (named HD B) and a 9GB external (named HD C). Whenever I get some data on the external drive, it starts up with the external in the second icon position-in other words-in the middle. It changes position on startup! Does anyone know why or how I can stop it? I've already gone through the "arrange" and "view options" on all three drives and it shouldn't do it. Nothing is set to go by size. Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 25, 2001, 07:07 PM

Disk icons appear in the order those volumes are mounted in. You might switch the SCSI IDs to try and force a different mount order.

Or you could give the disks non-sequential names. No A,B,C or 1,2,3. Name them:

Mac HD (the startup)
Stupid (the 2nd internal)
Doghouse (the external one)

Or something else, where the mount order will not bother you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules