Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Function Keys

Function Keys
tony.eastwood
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2001, 10:52 AM

Hi

Can someone give me a clue on disabling Function Keys. I don't need this option. I want to go back to the way things were pre System 9 but don't want to downgrade to 8. whatever.

I can't use the keys I used to in Quark. Some F keys work but others don't, particularly those utilising option and command and shift or tab combinations.

Do I need an Apple Script? Is there something I can disable? Removing keyboard from the control panel just crashes Quark when I try to use an "old" function combination.

Hope someone can help.

regards and thanks in advance

Tony Eastwood

AppleScript
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2001, 11:55 AM

You can turn the new function keys off in the Function Keys section of the Keyboard control panel. The option you want to turn off is Use F1 through F15 as Hot Function Keys.

(45)

tony.eastwood  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2001, 02:57 PM

Been there, done that - with no luck.

In Quark 4... and this still works... pressing F13 brings up fonts used in a document. Pressing alt F13 used to show picture usage in a document. Now it just tells you that F keys can be assigned. Not for things like this they can't.

Is this a Quark thing or an Apple thing?

It's been bugging me for months but now it's bugging a new co-worker and he's bugging me. Guess I'm well and truly bugged....

Any other suggestions or have I missed something in the previous answer?

Thanks for responding anyway.

Regards

Tony Eastwood

Forum Links
Forum Rules