Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Non Apple Monitor

Non Apple Monitor
BlueJungle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2007, 12:13 PM

Hello all,
I know this has been somewhat covered before so I tried another mac forum, but I have gotten no response. (I'm posting here as well, so I apologize for any overlapping of questions.)

I just purchased a desktop Mac, but I wanted to get a non-Apple monitor. I was looking at the Dell 2407 FPW. I have found out that other Mac-users like this monitor as well. However, someone told me that the Dell colors might not work so well with the Mac. The accuracy of the colors are very important to me.

What monitor would you recommend? Someone suggest Sony's Trinitron.

Also, would I need an adapter of sorts for any non-apple monitor?

Thank you for your time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2007, 12:30 PM

Displays are displays. As long as you've got the right type of connector, the display will be compatible. Modern Mac cards have DVI ports. You would only need an adapter if you were getting a cheaper display with a VGA connection.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Apr 19, 2007, 01:05 PM

If color accuracy is really a concern to you, you should take a professional, calibrated monitor. For most people, that's overkill, though. Macs these days work with pretty much any display you can buy these days. Dell displays seem to be rather popular on this forum (although in Europe, Dell displays are anything but cheap, we seem to prefer Samsung).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Darthmaul4114
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2007, 01:23 PM

i currently use a 2405FPW...works like a charm and its way cheaper than an apple cinema display. plus its got a built in card reader, and way more inputs. colors work fine for me
1.5Ghz 15" Alluminum Powerbook, 1.5Gb RAM, 64mb VRAM
iPod 4g 40GB
Dell 2405FPW

riley46
Apr 28, 2007, 03:18 AM

If you like a big monitor, then Westinghouse LCD TV might be the one to go to. Many consider it to be good especially when playing games and surfing the internet. Just my $0.02 cents.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 06:25 AM

I have a 20" Sony Trinitron Multiscan 20sfII. It's an excellent CRT, crisp and bright as anything. Mind you, that's Carbon Ray Tube, archaic technology in other words. I haven't heard anything good about Sony flatscreens, most people seem to go with Dells or Apples nowadays. If you're really crazy about colour accuracy, you could get an Eizo or something of the sort.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
I have a 20" Sony Trinitron Multiscan 20sfII. It's an excellent CRT, crisp and bright as anything. Mind you, that's Carbon Ray Tube, archaic technology in other words.
I'm sure you mean Cathode Ray Tube

Cathode ray tube - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back on topic... I have a Dell 2407 connected to my Mac Pro and I love it. I find the USB hub and built-in card reader very useful as well. I haven't had any issues with it at all. and I saved a lot of money over buying an Apple display. The 2407 also has multiple inputs including component, so you can hook up gaming consoles. I used to have an Xbox 360 and I worked great with this monitor.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

red rocket
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2007, 07:48 AM

No kidding. Can't believe I wrote that.

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2007, 02:46 PM

If you really value color accuracy, budget for a display calibrator. The Gretag-Macbeth Eye-One series have great Mac software and are reliable. It would be about $200, but then every monitor you ever have will display the most accurate color it is capable of. I have no experience with the sub-$100 Huey calibrator, so I won't say anything about it.

I'm lucky enough to borrow one from work, but at only $200 (it used to be more like $2000 for a nice one) I'm considering getting one of my own.

On a side note, I've never had a problem with it on my or ANY OTHER Mac, but on my Windows box the internal USB ports don't provide enough power and I have to hook it up through a powered hub. Another little issue that adds up to Macs > PCs. Also, why does XP have to bleep and blorp and throw up three dialog boxes every time you plug in a USB device? Absolute crap, I tell you.

BlueJungle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2007, 12:30 PM

Thank you all!

I just got my Mac Pro and my Dell 2407 monitor. The monitor shows some pictures a bit blotchy, but I 'm hoping it's due to image resolution of those particular pictures. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with it.

(side note: while my sister was fiddling with her new PC notebook... I was already making slideshows and comic book movies... she says, the Mac commericials are a 100% accurate...)

I will look into a color calibrating software. Thank you.
( Last edited by BlueJungle; May 9, 2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: correction)

bearcatrp
Senior User
May 11, 2007, 02:09 PM

Since the subject of monitors is going on here, can anyone tell me if they have dell's 30 inch monitor on a mac pro? Been Eying this huge bad boy and if I can sell my 24 inch iMac, plan on getting this monster. Thanks in advanced.
Randy

Forum Links
Forum Rules