Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Whatcha been playin'?

Whatcha been playin'?
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2007, 11:29 AM

No platform wars, please. This thread is just to share what you've been playing, why you like it (or don't like it), and what you're looking forward to.

1. Forza 2
Oh my god. I've never been much of a Gran Turismo fan, so I was really hesitant about buying a sim racing game. What sold me was reading about the level of customization available. I'm a Sim City/Animal Crossing kind of guy, so having complete control over the way my car looks, as well as drives, was alluring. That was the initial appeal, and I LOVE that aspect of it, but now I'm just as hooked on the racing itself. The game could be a bit prettier, but that's not a concern. Great, great game.

2. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
I never played the old ES games, and I stayed away from Oblivion for a long time, but I decided to finally hop on board. I've barely put any time into yet, so I'll have to talk about this later. Again, the customization at the beginning of the game: really cool.

Any other takers?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2007, 12:06 PM

1. Need For Speed Carbon - Sucks.. got far enough into it, just played to finish it so I can delete it off my system. Most Wanted is better in all areas. (Graphics, Gameplay, and overall fun)

2. Jade Empire Special: Edition - Pretty good so far. It's like a real time, martial arts version of Knights of the Old Republic if you like the genre.

3. Resident Evil 4 - Was a greatest hits so I picked it up. So far so good. It brings back that feeling I had playing the first one, with a bit more options and freedom.

4. Resistance Fall of Man - Still like this game, finished it the first time. The second time seems like all type of stuff is unlocking as far as weapons now so its a little different to approach now. Plus I haven't gotten a chance to play it since I got my new TV, so good excuse to fire it up again. Not the super game, but solid enough to hold me in the more I play it. Still haven't really tried it online, might test it out this weekend to see what it's like.

Looking forward to this year: Drake's Fortunes, Heavenly Sword, Army of Two, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
( Last edited by exca1ibur; Jun 15, 2007 at 01:07 AM. )

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 14, 2007, 06:24 PM

Forza 2 for now, dont know what I will play next.

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 14, 2007, 11:23 PM

Resistance Fall of Man

greatest game ever
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 12:37 AM

Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction.

I know. It's over six years old. I don't care, it's digital crack. Finding uber l337 h4x itamz is too much of a draw for me. Battle.net is annoying though, full of assholes and dupers. What's the point of playing if you just dupe items and can always get anything you want? Searching for stuff is most of the fun.

This is mostly because I've run out of games for my PS2. I brought a bunch of them with me to China, but I've either played through them or tried them and realized I hated them. So when I get back I'll probably pick up some more PS2 games and not spend so much time on Diablo.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 08:58 AM

Battelfield 1942 Desert Combat all the time - I'm helicopter crazy! No survivors!!!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 09:00 AM

Forza 2.
I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I am. I'm a big fan of the Need for Speeds and other "arcade" racing games. I bought Forza after getting hooked on the demo and even bought a racing wheel because of it. Great game.

Prince of Persia Classic
As soon as I heard Price of Persia was coming to the xbox live arcade I had Microsoft Points ready. I would've bought the original without any graphical make over or anything. The original Price of Persia is one of my favorite games of all time. The new version is amazing. The graphics are so good and they've done some great things with the controls.
I like how you can run at a wall, jump into it and the prince will push off the wall to reach a ledge behind you. How if you stand backwards on an edge and jump he'll backflip.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 09:14 AM

World of Warcraft. Yes, even with its inherent flaws, it's still as addictive as freakin' crack.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 09:35 AM

OpenArena here, very addictive game.
Signature depreciated.

Rumor
Jun 15, 2007, 05:17 PM

Neverwinter Nights. The online play is great. I play on some PVP servers and my Sorceress kicks some serious ass. She will even more when I rebuild her to be Con based.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Has a ton of great heroes. The online play sucks for the most part due to the fact nobody ever plays it.

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat. I haven't played online in a while, just trying to get through the single player game.

Battlefront 2. I'm still a Shotgun Surgeon, though not as good since I don't play as often.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2007, 05:39 PM

Kongregate: Play Castlewars

very hard to put down

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 07:18 PM

Guitar Hero 2.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 11:36 PM

Add Guitar Hero 2 to my list. As a matter of fact, I'm sitting by my wife as she plays it right now. I had it for PS2, but I'm loving it in 720p.

And I'm getting even DEEPER hooked on Forza 2.

mdc, what are you driving right now?

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 18, 2007, 02:30 PM

Jets'n'Guns Gold
and the ever present StarCraft...
occasionally Postal [the original, the only one that matter to me - urinating on people wasn't enough of a draw for Postal2]

doolally
Jun 18, 2007, 03:00 PM

Dominions 3

This is one of the deepest games I've ever played. Even after months of playing and experimenting, it's still revealing its treasures.
--
"What is it you see, in the horizon's bruised smear, that cannot be blotted out by your raised hand?"
www.thecrookedcrow.com

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2007, 12:09 PM

Lego Star Wars II. My kids got me hooked on it. I don't care that it took more than a year to come to the Mac, it's great. And Han shoots first!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2007, 01:03 PM

Sims 2. I had forgotten about my happy little family, and I've been tending to them a lot recently. That is, when I'm not absolutely torturing their neighbors... I'm a sadistic bastard sometimes.

I need a new FPS for my Mac that isn't Halo or UT2004... maybe Call of Duty 2?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Add Guitar Hero 2 to my list. As a matter of fact, I'm sitting by my wife as she plays it right now. I had it for PS2, but I'm loving it in 720p.

And I'm getting even DEEPER hooked on Forza 2.

mdc, what are you driving right now?
I haven't played in about a week since I've been really busy, but I'm still early into the game. I just got gold on all the races in the first group. My main car is a very souped up Renault Clio.
A friend has gotten really into the customizing and has been auctioning his, really good, artworked cars. He gifted me a Aston Martin DB9 which is fun to drive.

And you, how far are you and what are you driving?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2007, 02:39 PM

dammit, i want forza now

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2007, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
World of Warcraft. Yes, even with its inherent flaws, it's still as addictive as freakin' crack.
I'm curious, what's on your list of flaws with WoW? Me, I'm still rockin' out WoW like whoa!

Recently, oddly enough, I've rediscovered Wii Sports and have been doing bowling and tennis with the old lady. We love it.

abeato6
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2007, 06:53 PM

i definitely have to play forza loool
MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 128MB
WD My Book Premium Edition 500GB
iPod 5G 30GB
80GB PS3

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 12:50 AM

I'm having a blast with Lord of the Rings Online on my PC. I tried WoW but couldn't really get used to the cartoony nature and lack of a main, epic story line, so LOTRO has got me hooked. I even installed it on my BootCamped MacBook to play at a friend's house one night and it ran like a champ on the GMA950 with things scaled down. Highly recommended.

Guitar Hero 2 is still addictive as ever. I'm working on expert for all songs now... hopefully that should keep me busy until Rock Band comes out.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2007, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454 View Post
I tried WoW but couldn't really get used to the cartoony nature and lack of a main, epic story line, so LOTRO has got me hooked.
Hmmph, I got into WoW because of the incredible art direction and its epic lore and story! I've thought about trying LOTRO, though, despite not hearing many fabulous things about it. I'd like to give it a go.

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 04:57 AM

I've thoroughly enjoyed WarioWare Smooth Moves for a while now.
But, I was thinking of getting into Guild Wars, anyone here play?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 07:42 AM

Pacman for the 360 is my latest addiction.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2007, 10:38 AM

Still playing original Ghost Recon, Hardwood Solitaire, and a litle American Army and GRAW in BootCamp.

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 21, 2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I've thoroughly enjoyed WarioWare Smooth Moves for a while now.
But, I was thinking of getting into Guild Wars, anyone here play?
I use to play Guild Wars, but could'nt stand the fact that the whole game is pretty much instance based.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 22, 2007, 01:09 AM

it's all Forza 2 for me at the moment, with a bit of Gears and Vegas when I get the chance...

i dont have a single favourite car, i'm in love with too many, but i'd have to say my fully worked f430 makes me very, very warm inside

i think it's probably the best sim there's been - ever - if you're talking purely from a driving mechanics viewpoint. played with all assists off (except for ABS on cars that actually have it) it's easily the best, most immersive drive i've ever had. and the best fun i've had on a racer since GT3.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 22, 2007, 01:17 AM

Been playing Generals: Zero Hour on my PC a lot lately. Seriously thinking of a few hardware upgrades so that I have an excuse to buy Tiberium Wars.

This fall, I can see myself shelling out for a console for the first time since the N64. Most likely a 360 since I've gotta have Halo 3, Gears of War and Grand Theft Auto IV.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 01:23 AM

Little time to game these days, but what time I've been sneaking in has been on:

Super Paper Mario. entertaining but not fantastic. Mario Party 8. A lot of fun, but I'm playing with my daughter so that's really what makes it fun. I've heard the knock on MP8 (same ol' same ol'. Nothing new. Etc) but seeing as how I've never played a Mario Party game before, I find it fun. Playing these hot on the heels of Zelda:TP makes me wonder if Nintendo ever puts voice acting in any of their games. Argh! This blippity-blip sound effect and speech balloons doesn't really thrill me. Speech isn't really needed in SPM or MP8, but the lack of it bugged the hell out of me in Z:TP.

X³ Reunion on the Mac. A lot of fun. I've limited my playing time because it seems like a game that is going to really consume my life. Open ended gameplay, trading, combat, upgrading ships, etc. Fun. Nice graphics and runs well on my MBP.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 03:01 AM

NHL 07 (back at it after a long break, finally trying to finish up a full season - President's Trophy is locked, oh yeah!).

Call of Juarez.

HHTQ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 05:21 AM

WoW
Armed Assault
Titan Quest Immortal Throne

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Playing these hot on the heels of Zelda:TP makes me wonder if Nintendo ever puts voice acting in any of their games.
Not anything substantial. Link screams, the Mario characters have a couple of phrases they say, otherwise no.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 12:10 PM

Tiger Woods PGA Tour '07 - four tournys into the first season (won them all).

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - fun to play different characters but I'm stuck on some floating ship and cant' figure out how to progress forward on the ship. Something exploded and blocked the path and now I have no where to go.

Oblivion - finished it when I had my 360 and bought it again on my PS3. Just finished all the Mage Guild quests and am starting on the Dark Brotherhood ones.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2007, 12:27 PM

Civilizations and Dark Castle.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Rumor
Jun 22, 2007, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Tiger Woods PGA Tour '07 - four tournys into the first season (won them all).

Marvel Ultimate Alliance - fun to play different characters but I'm stuck on some floating ship and cant' figure out how to progress forward on the ship. Something exploded and blocked the path and now I have no where to go.

Oblivion - finished it when I had my 360 and bought it again on my PS3. Just finished all the Mage Guild quests and am starting on the Dark Brotherhood ones.
Are you playing the 360 version or the xBox version?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 04:35 PM

My recent Wii purchase has put a dent into my Civilization playing time, as I can't rest until I smash the last urn and cut the last piece of bushy grass in Zelda..

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 03:39 AM

Update: I've been out of town working at a youth camp, so I've been rockin' the DS for a week...

Planet Puzzle League - AWESOME puzzle game. I can't believe how much I like it.
New Super Mario Bros. - I've been it twice, but I'm going through it again. This game isn't supposed to have legs for this long, but I love the classic formula.

Still playing Forza 2, GH II, and Oblivion. Still lovin' them all. Still not having enough time to play them like I'd like to.

I was a MAJOR Civilization II fan. I played it for about 3 years, but never got into the following two. Well, I'm buying Civ III Complete for Mac, and I'm guessing that everything else is going to be going on the backburner very quickly.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Pacman for the 360 is my latest addiction.
Is that in the arcade? I've been loving Settlers of Catan as far as XB arcade games go - simple but highly addictive for anybody who likes strategy games ala Risk.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2007, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Well, I'm buying Civ III Complete for Mac, and I'm guessing that everything else is going to be going on the backburner very quickly.
My advice would be to skip Civ III and go directly to Civ IV. I find Civ IV is much more playable without too much micromanagement. Of course, unless you have a G5 or a Intel Mac, Civ IV will be too slow to play....

I play it on my 12" 1.5 GHz G4 PB, and it is too slow to play on maps above Standard size.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2007, 02:08 AM

Pokemon Diamond
Super Paper Mario
Act Raiser

riley46
Jun 26, 2007, 01:07 AM

I don't have a console right now but hopefully intend to get one in two or three months. Right now, I'm playing chess online when I have the urged to exercise my thought processes.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 01:45 AM

Knight of the Old Republic
Heroes of Might and Magic 5
Sonic 2 on Wii
Masters of Orion 2
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Rumor
Jun 26, 2007, 03:42 AM

How is Heroes 5?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
How is Heroes 5?
It's good. It's different than Heroes 3, but feels a lot like it at the same time. The battle mechanics are similar, along with the castles and stuff. I mean, the game feels a lot like Heroes 3. But the maps don't. In Heroes 3/2, usually you'd get this large land with these neutral castles that you could take, but I haven't seen one neutral castle or town in Heroes 5. Also, maps don't usually have the same number of mines. Usually in your territory you have only one of each type.

So the game feels comfortable, but the maps are unimaginative. They introduced random maps in the expansion, but I don't have the expansion.

Oh, it's also weird to be back to waiting on computers for their turns. I haven't had to do that since Heroes 2 on the Pentium 2.

Speaking of which the computer AI is... odd... It will often warp it's hero into a patch of land behind trees and just sit there. I'm not sure why. As soon as I try and conquer the computer's in question's lands, it usually becomes active again and chases me away.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
My advice would be to skip Civ III and go directly to Civ IV. I find Civ IV is much more playable without too much micromanagement. Of course, unless you have a G5 or a Intel Mac, Civ IV will be too slow to play....

I play it on my 12" 1.5 GHz G4 PB, and it is too slow to play on maps above Standard size.
Ah, see...

15" PowerBook, 1.67 GHz, 1.5 GB of RAM. Nowhere near the requirements listed for Civ IV to run smoothly. Plus, I really like Civ III for some reason. I played Civ IV on a PC, and instantly missed Civ III, and I have no idea why.

[EDIT] Just got SimCity DS today. I'm a Sim nut, so hopefully this one translates well. I heard the graphics are kinda crappy, but I knew that going into it.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jun 26, 2007 at 07:32 PM. )

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2007, 08:35 PM

Well, Civ IV will run on your hardware, it will just be slow on larger maps or at the very end when you have a lot of units, and that's after you turn off the animations and eye candy. But Civ III complete is a fine game too, so whatever floats your boat.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 10:30 PM

Civ IV ran like a broken down old mule on my Dual 2Ghz G5, so I really have a tough time imagining it running well at all on a G4. Just my two cents.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 10:36 PM

Chalk another one up for being deeply in love with Forza 2.

Just started doing the endurance races and I'll be a level 40 in no time. Everything has been easy up to the R4 and R3 races....seeing as you can't upgrade the car at all (like you could in GT4).

I wouldn't say it's the best car by a long shot, but my jet black 902HP Lingenfelter Vette is a little to outrageously fast for its' own good. Technically its rated as a 'U' (one step above 'S') with a P.I. of 999 along with a few other 'U's. They are not good race cars per se but are fun on the Nurburgring straitaway.

I started off with a Corrado Vr6, solid entry car, I usually stay away from the Civics and other 4-bangers just because I hate the way they drive. Unless it's a 550 HP Mitsu Evo that can put any Ferrari in its' place

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 27, 2007, 04:08 PM

just picked up Grim Grimoire for the PS2...very interesting game.

Forum Links
Forum Rules