Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 83)
Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Are those numbers accurate ? At best i thought the Wii would surpass the XB360 after holiday '07. Go gimmick go !!!
Can't say who is right, but this site disagrees by a good margin: http://nexgenwars.com/

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2007, 08:35 AM

I quite dislike it when people throw around generalizations like the Wii is a kiddy console. Ps2 had some Barbie games, does that make you a little girl for owning one?

But in my eyes, Wii vs 360/Ps3 isn't even an issue. While they share the same ultimate goal to entertain they go about it in quite different ways. So I'm content to own both and enjoy both.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 09:17 AM

Here's one point against the Wiimote - doing a 180. Try it. YOU CAN'T. Why? Because in order to do a complete 180 with a Wiimote you'd have to literally turn yourself around, or tuuuuuuuuurn slowly enough. That's why the Wiimote will never, EVER, _EVER_ beat a 360/PS controller for FPS games.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
I quite dislike it when people throw around generalizations like the Wii is a kiddy console. Ps2 had some Barbie games, does that make you a little girl for owning one?
The PS2 had a much more broad spectrum of titles. Yeah, it had Barbie games, but it had more mature games also. It was such a great machine because you could find a variety of almost any kind of game for it. Try saying that about Nintendo consoles.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 09:22 AM

I swear they only put Resident Evil on the GC to try and fight the kiddie image. Too bad I think the franchise sucks.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Here's one point against the Wiimote - doing a 180. Try it. YOU CAN'T. Why? Because in order to do a complete 180 with a Wiimote you'd have to literally turn yourself around, or tuuuuuuuuurn slowly enough. That's why the Wiimote will never, EVER, _EVER_ beat a 360/PS controller for FPS games.
What does that even mean? Is there a 180 button on your 360 controller that isn't on mine? Because I just have to hold left on the stick until my character turns fully around, which is the same thing you'd do on the Wii (either hold down the analog stick or keep the wiimote pointed left until the turn completes).

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 10:39 AM

Wanna hear something funny?

I use that nunchuck so infrequently that I forgot it existed

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
The PS2 had a much more broad spectrum of titles. Yeah, it had Barbie games, but it had more mature games also. It was such a great machine because you could find a variety of almost any kind of game for it. Try saying that about Nintendo consoles.
The Wii has a decent variety (considering how long it's been out). There are games squarely targeted at adults: RE4, Godfather, Scarface plus the upcoming No More Heroes and Manhunt 2. It just seems people percieve anything as cute or silly as a child's game, when often that isn't the case.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
The Wii has a decent variety (considering how long it's been out). There are games squarely targeted at adults: RE4, Godfather, Scarface plus the upcoming No More Heroes and Manhunt 2. It just seems people percieve anything as cute or silly as a child's game, when often that isn't the case.
Agreed. Viva Pinata may look cutesy, but it's also a damn fun game, even for us grown-ups.

I do think the Nintendo consoles get a higher percentage of kid games, though. Doesn't make them "kiddie" consoles IMO.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2007, 06:38 PM

One thing that I find a little strange is that there are no traditional RPGs on the Wii yet (virtual console doesn't count). Zelda is the closest thing, but it's very much an action RPG.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 09:38 PM

You don't need motion for those.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 19, 2007, 09:52 PM

You don't need motion for most Wii games. That doesn't stop them from putting them out on the Wii.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 09:58 PM

True, but I don't even how you could stretch it for an RPG. Shake the controller everytime you need to go into an item screen? For saving?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 11:09 PM

The next post took its place....

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 11:12 PM

The Wii's momentum will taper off within a year due to the problems the N64 and Gamecube had; they're 90% powered by Nintendo.

The 360 will start to become old news after the Halo 3 buzz wears down. People are starting to get extremely POed about the rampant system failures, and it's going to start biting Microsoft in the butt.

The PS3 will start taking over after the next price drop. As soon as MGS 4, Killzone 2, and a few other exclusives are on the shelves and developers finally start tapping into its power, it's going to build a ton of steam.
Knowing me, I could change my mind tomorrow, but we'll see how it goes.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2007, 11:31 PM

I can understand why you think what you think Jawbone, but you're sounding a little too confident there
NONE of us can claim to know what WILL happen with that kind of certainty. I'm a 360 owner, but I like all three systems fairly objectively.
IMO (3 letters you should familiarize yourself with), the wii's success will have nothing to do with 64/GCN sales stats, as it has been marketed as (and publically accepted as) a completely different kind of system, and has distinctions from its competitors that the cube did not. I'm not a massive fan of the wii yet (based on games library alone), but it's not doomed to failure by any man's measure. All it's doing at the moment is sell.

As for the 360, Halo 3 won't be the last system-selling AAA Xbox title. If all you've based your ideas on is E3, remember that E3 this year was all about 07 holiday season titles, and MS and Sony left plenty of titles under wraps for other events set for later in 08. Ever heard of a little game called Fable 2? Or Too Human? GoW2? They all come after Halo 3. They're not minor releases.

As for PS3, only time will tell. It's a system with a lot of potential, and I'm as excited as anyone about MGS4, but MGS and Killzone 2 may not be the earth-shaking titles you think... from what I've heard (I believe it was even on this forum), each successive MGS title has sold less than the one before it, despite the fact that the series just keeps getting better and better. Killzone? Could be awesome, but no one's even layed hands on it yet, so it could just be a graphics showpiece.

Right now, Wii has the casual gaming market by the balls, and 360 has the definite upper hand with the hardcore crowd. Based on upcoming releases, I personally can't see that changing any time soon.
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 12:14 AM

Meh.

Fable was a let-down by everyone's standards. Too Human? Who knows. Gears of War? Overrated with a sucky multiplayer system.

Certainly I'm not guaranteed to be right. I could be ENTIRELY wrong. And part of me is actually rooting for Nintendo, just because I have strong feelings for the company. A small note: everything I post is my opinion, not fact. I don't believe I've presented it as such. Everything I post in regards to the future is speculation.

As for the Wii's stellar start, it's interesting that they're STILL not able to put them on shelves. Some have speculated that it might be intentional. I don't think that's necessarily beyond reason. They're riding momentum right now. Whether or not they sustain it depends on third-party support, and whether or not other developers can think of it as more than just a gimmicky toy to slap onto existing game.

*ahem*...in my humble opinion

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2007, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Fable was a let-down by everyone's standards... Gears of War? Overrated with a sucky multiplayer system.
Fable was a let-down? I must have missed the memo... probably while I was busy finishing it for the third time. Not the greatest action RPG of all time, but it rocked, and you're the first person I've heard say otherwise (maybe you're saying it was a disappointment because lionhead said it would be the best RPG ever? Missing that mark doesn't make it a disappointing game).

And since when does Gears suck online? The fact that it's biggest online console game since halo 2 would beg to differ... Have you played Annex mode yet? If not, check it out. And even when you forget multiplayer, the single player campaign on Insane is freaking AWESOME, albeit quite short. I've played through it 6 times, and I have very limited time for games so that's pretty crazy for me... It's the first time I can say that about a game since Sonic 2 on Master System.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2007, 12:33 AM

Fable is widely regarded to be a let-down compared to what was promised. That doesn't make it a bad game.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2007, 12:43 AM

Wow, that's something I wasn't aware of... I didn't read much about Fable before release, so had no expectations, and I loved it... all of my friends had the same experience.
My apologies, Jawbone, I should have researched before posting (I've gotten the impression that you're a bit anti-xbox and honestly thought you were speaking from bias)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 01:23 AM

Fable wasn't bad. It just wasn't anything close to a blockbuster title.

No harm, no foul, BTW. I actually have a 360. I've owned too many systems in buying/selling/trading. I have no allegiance, really.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2007, 01:26 AM

i stand corrected
my fanboy alarm is officially switched to 'off'.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 01:31 AM

Forgot to mention...

I think part of the reason I found Fable so disappointing is that I read up on it FOREVER, pumped about about this "Project Ego" that the gaming media were going crazy over. Then I played it and wondered where all the cool stuff I anticipated was. They promised the world an unbelievable experience, and instead just churned out a better-than-average RPG.

But honestly, everyone should have thought that Molyneux was just flapping his gums when he described the game at first. There's no way a game is ever going to be as cool as he made it sound.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by pyrite View Post
i stand corrected
my fanboy alarm is officially switched to 'off'.
I'd still keep it armed, honestly. I might wake up tomorrow the biggest Sony fanboy of all time.
I blame the fact that I'm not on some sort of medication. ADD sucks.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2007, 01:41 AM

Yeah, I'm sure you saw the vid where he said a similar thing at this yr's E3 Fable 2 demo, saying 'What's the point of making something if you're not trying to make it the best of all time'... I agree with this in principle as a motivator, but this desire shouldn't be advertised when pushing a new game... the exact kind of disappointment you're talking about is almost certain. Humble presentation is always a winner.

NoBadBreaks9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2007, 04:41 AM

Wii ftw, total party system

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 05:19 AM

The Wii's momentum will taper off within a year due to the problems the N64 and Gamecube had; they're 90% powered by Nintendo.

The 360 will start to become old news after the Halo 3 buzz wears down. People are starting to get extremely POed about the rampant system failures, and it's going to start biting Microsoft in the butt.

The PS3 will start taking over after the next price drop. As soon as MGS 4, Killzone 2, and a few other exclusives are on the shelves and developers finally start tapping into its power, it's going to build a ton of steam.
You're insane if you think all the 360 has is Halo 3. Mass Effect and Bioshock are both looking like game of the year material.

I like the PS3, but until it drops to at least $399 and gets a decent game, it will remain in third place.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2007, 09:37 AM

I'm still waiting to see how Heavenly Sword turns out on the PS3.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 09:38 AM

Interesting analysis.

KisforKennedy
Baninated
Jul 20, 2007, 11:20 AM

Yep. PS3= a shitty systemt today, a great system tomorrow, and once the price goes down a bit, I'll be getting one.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Interesting analysis.
I thought so too.
Get your tongue out of your cheek!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 11:49 AM

I thought so too.
Get your tongue out of your cheek!
Actually, I was being serious.

But I bear no ill will towards being misunderstood (unlike someone else who doesn't read this forum might think), since I'm usually not serious.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 12:06 PM

When I'm misunderstood, people get hurt.
I'm putting white text here just because I know you'll check it.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 12:10 PM

Example, please.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 12:16 PM

Apparently Bully is coming to the 360 and the Wii:
HaHaUK.com: Bully: Scholarship Edition coming to Wii & 360

Rockstar's support of the Wii has surprised me. How long until we get a GTA for the Wii?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2007, 12:17 PM

It's a good thing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 12:36 PM

This is exactly the kind of thing the Wii needs.

People realize it's selling, and want to bring over everything they can for it. It results in a lot of garbage with sloppy waggle controls coming over, but also gets support from studios that were nowhere near the Gamecube.

Good news for Nintendo fans.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2007, 12:37 PM

Example, please.
Madonna's horse-riding accident. Huge misunderstanding.

riley46
Jul 21, 2007, 10:33 PM

I think Wii is now getting much ahead of the field. Introducing WiiFit, the new craze in town.

highstakes
Senior User
Jul 23, 2007, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by riley46 View Post
I think Wii is now getting much ahead of the field. Introducing WiiFit, the new craze in town.
Brilliant move on Nintendo's part, and I think Sony/MS should follow Nintendo into target the "weight-loss" market that will guarantee sales.

Fat people + technology (at home privacy+entertainment) = $$$. Nintendo's ad firm should team up with Subway's Jared when WiiFit hits the stores

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
Brilliant move on Nintendo's part
Seriously?

highstakes
Senior User
Jul 23, 2007, 11:13 AM

Seriously?
Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but it is a damn good move for Nintendo. More diverse crowd for their home console.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 11:18 AM

Solid marketing move ≠ Brilliant

I also get the feeling one of us must be misjudging the home console fitness market.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 12:47 PM

Microsoft Xbox 360 Sales Plunge 60% As Problems Mount

Microsoft said it shipped 700,000 Xbox 360 units in its latest fiscal quarter, compared to 1.8 million in the same quarter in 2006.

Microsoft’s growing troubles with the Xbox 360 video game console appear to be catching up to the company. Sales of the gaming machine plunged 60% in the fiscal fourth quarter, Microsoft disclosed Thursday. In its earnings statement for the quarter, Microsoft said it shipped 700,000 Xbox 360 units during the period, compared to 1.8 million in the fiscal fourth quarter of 2006 — a fall off of 61%.

Microsoft’s Xbox operations are housed within the company’s Entertainment and Devices Division. The group saw fourth quarter revenue drop 10% year-over-year to $1.16 billion on an operating loss of $1.20 billion. The group lost $423 million the previous year.

Microsoft blamed the 183% increase in the EDD operating loss on a $1.06 billion charge against earnings that the company incurred to cover the cost of extending the warranty period for the Xbox 360 to three years. The move came following Microsoft’s recent admission that the gaming system was suffering from an “unacceptable” number of general hardware failures. Microsoft has also been hit with two class action lawsuits in the past two weeks claiming that a design flaw in the Xbox 360 causes the system to irreparably scratch game discs. Microsoft has denied the claim.
I think this partially explains Nintendo's continued assault on marketshare. No one wants a defective system or a gameless system.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 01:05 PM

Looks like Gamestop is selling 20gb PS3s for $449 now. Not too great of a deal IMO, but cheaper than any other PS3 you can get.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2007, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Looks like Gamestop is selling 20gb PS3s for $449 now. Not too great of a deal IMO, but cheaper than any other PS3 you can get.
Yeah, not a great deal at all, you are better off trading a few games and getting the 60GB. They used to have that $100 off if you trade in your PS2, and they had a 10 game trade in for $100 off also. No idea if they still do that though.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Yeah, not a great deal at all, you are better off trading a few games and getting the 60GB. They used to have that $100 off if you trade in your PS2, and they had a 10 game trade in for $100 off also. No idea if they still do that though.
So what you're saying is:

20 GB PS3 $450
Trade in a PS2 - $100
and 10 games - $100

PS3 still costs as much as a Wii

Ouch.

Edit: And before someone comes bitching about all the PS3 does over the Wii, the point is $200 is a huge discount... you'd think it'd be lower by then)

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2007, 01:17 PM

8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2007, 01:18 PM

Yeah, I heard that. What he doesn't seem to flat-out say is that its because only the 360 is getting the online extras.

Still, funny as hell.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2007, 01:50 PM

For the $50 million they paid are you REALLY surprised?

Forum Links
Forum Rules