Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Good places to buy a camera

Good places to buy a camera
Biest
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Madison, WI (College) and Frankfurt, Germany (Home)
Jul 21, 2007, 02:19 PM

Hello,

So I am looking for a good camera store online where I could buy a Nikon D80 with a 200mm lens. I have looked through newegg and amazon and was wondering if anybody here has good recommendations for online stores.

I am buying it in the states, since the dollar is right now dropping to the bottom of the sea.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Ben

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2007, 03:31 PM

Probably bhphoto is the cheapest place or craigslist -- which is where I got my D80.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2007, 09:07 PM

I buy everything from BH Photo. Not the cheapest but definately the most reputable. Make sure you don't get gray market or bait & switch...check BBB.org if you buy from someone else.

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2007, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Probably bhphoto is the cheapest place or craigslist -- which is where I got my D80.
What lens are you using with that?

OreoCookie
Jul 22, 2007, 01:47 AM

I have the D70's 18-70 kit lens and an earlier version of Nikon's 2.8/80-200 zoom. Nikon's kit lenses are a good place to start … I'll plan to replace the 80-200 zoom by a Tokina 50-135 zoom once I return to Munich.

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2007, 02:02 AM

I have the D70's 18-70 kit lens and an earlier version of Nikon's 2.8/80-200 zoom. Nikon's kit lenses are a good place to start … I'll plan to replace the 80-200 zoom by a Tokina 50-135 zoom once I return to Munich.
little bit expensive considering the euro/dollar conversion at the moment... just a thought

OreoCookie
Jul 22, 2007, 02:14 AM

I checked the prices, it's not so bad. At bhphoto the lens runs at $679, in Germany I can get it for about €520, i. e. it's about the same. (Don't worry, I check these things.) Plus, the lens I have sells for more than what I bought it here in the States.

The body and the bag were much cheaper, though. I'm thinking of getting a flash here.

Biest  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2007, 03:29 AM

I checked the prices, it's not so bad. At bhphoto the lens runs at $679, in Germany I can get it for about €520, i. e. it's about the same. (Don't worry, I check these things.) Plus, the lens I have sells for more than what I bought it here in the States.

The body and the bag were much cheaper, though. I'm thinking of getting a flash here.
well i thought you had checked it, but one never knows

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2007, 03:38 AM

Another vote for B&H. I've bought almost everything from them so far. If you're going to buy in person it's a blast, too. Brusque^3, but fun

Amazon.com can have some good deals, too - and they're a bit easier to deal with if you don't have an American account or credit card, though B&H are generally a few bucks cheaper.

Do some reading on the grey market vs. US warranties before you buy, too. In most cases, if you're not going to be in the US the grey ones are no different.

Happy shopping, either way!

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2007, 11:34 AM

I had been a repeat BH customer but wanted to try and save some cash on a new digitial P&S. Shopped around and all the good prices had bad reputations (bait & switch) on the Better Business Bureau's web site (bbb.org). B&H offered me a discount and free shipping so I only lost out of $20 over the shady companies. I buy with B&H because I trust them and their prices are competitive.

riley46
Jul 30, 2007, 02:23 AM

Aside from the one that is mentioned, you can also check Beach Camera. I haven't bought from them yet but I just thought it might be worth mentioning it. Actually, I bought my one and only camera on eBay by the way.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 12:29 AM

I have shopped several times with B & H, and I was always very satisfied.

Amazon usually is expensive with cameras, and I'd really recommend buying at a specialized store.

Avoid Adorama. They are only a few percent cheaper than B & H, but their service is sub par.

Don't touch stores like Broadway Photo and other bait&switch stores with a ten foot pole (or any other long instrument of your choice). Check out resellerratings.com if you think a good deal is too good to be true. Avoid scam search engines like shop cart USA.

B & H has great service and well trained people. Don't risk your money and your peace of mind for possible savings of 3 to 5% of the purchase price. You are already getting a great deal by buying over the net.

Forum Links
Forum Rules