Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > good video camera

good video camera
adamj575
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2007, 09:27 PM

Hi, i am in the market for a good video camera. one major requirement is for it to work with the new imovie. i had originally wanted a hard drive recorder but recently learned that those dont generally work with imovie and that i would be better off getting a mini dv recorder then import via firewire cable to my mac. i am at a loss and dont know what to buy. please offer any suggestions for my quest. Thank you!

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2007, 11:26 AM

Depends on your budget.. you wont go far wrong with a sony tho.
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2007, 01:56 PM

If you're prepared to spend around $600-$1000 (there are two online stores with really low prices right now), I recommend the Canon HV20. I just got mine, and I'm very happy with it. It was the model I was looking at - I wanted miniDV and absolutely wanted mic-input - so I went to a local camcorder store and was told that the HV20 is by far their best selling model. The sales rep said that people have been returning disk based camcorders and getting the HV20. Be aware that you also will need a Firewire 4 pin device cable because it doesn't come with one.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 12:44 PM

If you are prepared to spend $150, the only good option is the JVC GRD347. I use the model below it: great build quality, interfaces perfectly with all iMovies.
JVC GR-D347U Refurbished mini DV Camcorder - 16" CCD Sensor, 28x Optical Zoom, 800x Digital Zoom, 2.5" LCD RB-GRD347US at TigerDirect.com

bearcatrp
Senior User
Aug 26, 2007, 07:42 PM

Don't let folks tell you that a hard disk cam corder will not work with iMovie. Just a few steps different to load your footage. You access the hard drive on your camcorder just like an external drive, drag the footage to your desktop, use mpeg stream clip (free) from squared5 to convert to dv, import it into iMovie, then begin to edit. I do it all the time with my sony SR100 and works great. If your getting a HD camcorder, hope you have a mac pro as rendering HD footage needs a powerful machine. Doable with smaller computers but will take alot longer. Good luck on your decision.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2007, 09:26 PM

You can get an overview over what is on the market on camcorderinfo.com.

You didn't mention your budget. It's not about hard drive or not hard drive, it's the format the camcorder is using. The new iMovie accepts AVCHD, so you can use those.

Check out the 3-chip Panasonic models. I always liked Panasonic video camcorders for their color quality, and I would still choose a 3-chip over a 1-chip (like Sony and Canon, at least the lower end models). Panasonic has 3-chip models even if your budget is tight.

riley46
Sep 4, 2007, 11:19 PM

Since you don't have any particular items of interest, I would suggest that you do some research and read reviews about mini dv recorder for various brands in order to see which one that suits your requirements best. I did some searching and this is what I came up with, "mini dv recorder"inurl:reviews - Yahoo! Search Results .

Hope it helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules