Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 9500 Printing OS Windows - Postscript error

9500 Printing OS Windows - Postscript error
Richard Clark
Senior User
Jun 8, 2001, 04:36 PM

We have two 9500's that are showing the same problems. When opening a window to print (i.e. window from HD) a post script error occurs.

Disk First Aid and Norton Utilties did not find any problems. Regular documents like Word, Photoshop etc. print fine. It's just within the system windows. The printing software had been re-installed and the postscript error continued.

Here is a run down on both systems

9500/200 9500/200
OS 8.5.1 OS 9.0.4
RAM 160 MB RAM 320 MB
XLR8 G4 upgrade Newer Technology G4 upgrade

Both are Asante 10/100 Network PCI cards for ethernet.

Part of me wonders if it's because of the upgrade cards. But they are different brands and there are different OS's running. The only similarity right now is that they are both 9500's.

Has anyone had the same or similar problems? Thoughts ? Ideas? Please let me know. Thanks in advance for your help!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2001, 07:05 PM

Hi Richard,
Do you get the same printing errors with just the default OS extension set? It is possible that there is an extension that might be causing the problem...
What printer is it that you are trying to print to?
good luck,
dave

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2001, 04:05 AM

Troubleshooting printer problems can be very stressing.

Like ddiokno said, it would be helpful to know the exact brand/model of printer you are using.

Likewise what type of communication protocol are you using, AppleTalk, IP, IPX, anything else? Are you printing through the normal Laserwriter driver, or are you using something like DAVE for SMB networks or the NetWare queues print "drivers"?

Also, could you cut and paste to the forum the exact postscript error you are having?

You only mention having this problem with desktop windows, does this problem also apply to full fledged applications?

I look forward to your response!

Richard Clark  (op)
Senior User
Jun 18, 2001, 09:06 AM

Thanks for responses.

The two computers are connected to a network (Appletalk & IP) that use these printers:

QMS Magicolor 330 (3)
Apple LaserWriter 360
Apple LaserWriter Pro 810 (2)
Apple LaserWriter 1600/600
Techtronix Phaser ? (2)

We don't use DAVE, SMB or Netware.

The weird thing with this problem is that the full fledged programs work fine (Photoshop, Quark, Freehand, M.S. Office etc.). It is just printing the system windows.

I'm going to try a couple different things and will post them here. Thanks again for the comments and qustions!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2001, 09:42 AM

Hi richard,
Another thing to try is plugging in directly to one of the printers to see if you get the same error?
good luck,
dave

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2001, 09:54 AM

Richard,
Another thought... are you printing directly to the printers across the network, or is it going through a print spooler (on an NT server)? Sometimes the interpretation of print jobs through spoolers gets garbled (sometimes it is the way quickdraw is interpreted --- which might be why the OS windows aren't printed properly and adobe etal are because they are postscript) Just a thought
good luck,
dave

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2001, 04:18 AM

I can vouche for print spoolers not working correctly somtimes depending on the content of the item being printed.

I know that with some Xerox/Tektronx printers, it might be better to use the Adobe postscript driver vs. the Apple Laserwriter driver. If you can find the disks that came with your Tek or go to the http://www.officeprinting.xerox.com/ and search for your Tektronix printer you should be able to find the Adobe postscript driver. That might help.

What I find very interesting is how the same problem pops up on a particular model of Mac and applies to all the postscript printers on your network. It indicates to me that the problem is localized in the cpus rather than the printers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules