Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Russian Connection

The Russian Connection (Page 3)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2017, 04:33 PM

Oops. From the same event: Jeff Sessions Likely Met Russian Ambassador A Third Time | The Huffington Post

If true, then this ups the chances he lied to congress as he didn't include this on his amended testimony.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2017, 02:12 AM

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 12:29 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2017, 12:33 PM

That's why I was surprised to see it come back up.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2017, 12:36 PM

The MSM is desperate.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
From your article:

Internet data shows that last summer, a computer server owned by Russia-based Alfa Bank repeatedly looked up the contact information for a computer server being used by the Trump Organization -- far more than other companies did, representing 80% of all lookups to the Trump server.
It's unclear if the Trump Organization server itself did anything in return. No one has produced evidence that the servers actually communicated.
Fake news, anyone?

A russian server did a whois on one of trump's servers, and CNN leads with "odd computer link" and implies a trump-russia connection with a headline for a ROUTINE, harmless, and one way process done millions of times a day all over the internet by literally anyone with access to said internet.

Here's your fake news, folks. The headline should have read: "Some guy in russia did a WHOIS on one of trump's domains using a computer connected to alfabank's network"

The masses scream conspiracy, when the truth is ignorance and idiocy has won the day.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 04:29 PM

That's why I was surprised to see it come back up.
Did you even read the article? It didn't come back up. CNN posted a clickbait headline hoping to capitalize on the hysteria, when the evidence they do have points a basic WHOIS lookup which is meaningless. The two servers never even connected, an alfabank computer (or at least a computer connected to their network/vpn) did a WHOIS against public DNS and that is newsworthy?

Either CNN is so stupid as to not know the difference (and therefore shouldn't be relied on as a news source at all), or is banking that you are to generate pageviews.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 05:32 PM

MANY of the low IQ voters are too stupid or lazy to actually READ anything. They rely on TV to tell them what to believe.
A friend of mine at work watches CNN all day and talks to it out loud (ANNOYING) but he's dragged around by them as they keep asking pointless questions about motives etc and NEVER giving the whole story. Of course most liberals hear a different version of what they actually heard, and add in assumptions of what was said. Sad.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2017, 05:46 PM

I'm curious what it is so special about this last link that is so much more comment worthy than any of the previous two pages.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Did you even read the article? It didn't come back up. CNN posted a clickbait headline hoping to capitalize on the hysteria, when the evidence they do have points a basic WHOIS lookup which is meaningless. The two servers never even connected, an alfabank computer (or at least a computer connected to their network/vpn) did a WHOIS against public DNS and that is newsworthy?

Either CNN is so stupid as to not know the difference (and therefore shouldn't be relied on as a news source at all), or is banking that you are to generate pageviews.
First off (according to the article), while you are correct that there is no proof of anything wrong or illegal happening, your characterisation (of the article- who knows if it's accurate) is pretty far off. The evidence as presented does not point to an individual running the occasional WHOIS command, but that 80% of all DNS lookups for the server in question came from a Russian bank. While there is very possibly a completely innocent explanation for this, to pretend it's not weird or notable is being disingenuous.

The media may very well be making too much of the Trump-Russia connection, but a good bit of that is down to the reality that people associated with Trump, his campaign, and his administration have an extraordinary number of connections to Russia, and far too many of them keep getting caught lying about it. Again, to pretend this is not notable is being disingenuous.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
MANY of the low IQ voters are too stupid or lazy to actually READ anything. They rely on TV to tell them what to believe.
A friend of mine at work watches CNN all day and talks to it out loud (ANNOYING) but he's dragged around by them as they keep asking pointless questions about motives etc and NEVER giving the whole story. Of course most liberals hear a different version of what they actually heard, and add in assumptions of what was said. Sad.
Did you just punctuate your rant with 'sad' un-ironically?

Wow.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 06:38 PM

I'm curious what it is so special about this last link that is so much more comment worthy than any of the previous two pages.
The fact that my attention span is considerably more narrow since work has been blowing up this year.

There's nothing here, except political hysteria capitalized on by media who literally make money on outrage. I'm just surprised CNN has already run out of Trump bashing clickbait articles, and has to resort to framing a couple WHOIS requests out of russia as "news".

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
First off (according to the article), while you are correct that there is no proof of anything wrong or illegal happening, your characterisation (of the article- who knows if it's accurate) is pretty far off. The evidence as presented does not point to an individual running the occasional WHOIS command, but that 80% of all DNS lookups for the server in question came from a Russian bank. While there is very possibly a completely innocent explanation for this, to pretend it's not weird or notable is being disingenuous.
Can you please explain how running any number of WHOIS requests is "weird" or "notable"?

The media may very well be making too much of the Trump-Russia connection, but a good bit of that is down to the reality that people associated with Trump, his campaign, and his administration have an extraordinary number of connections to Russia, and far too many of them keep getting caught lying about it. Again, to pretend this is not notable is being disingenuous.
Wait, diplomats and businessmen have relationships with people in other countries?!?!? Shocking I tell you! Do you have an extra tinfoil hat I can borrow?

I just see a lot of wishful thinking from democrats who were disappointed that the sky didn't fall when Trump came into office. There's still plenty of time and opportunity left for real scandal and outrage - don't blow your wad now.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2017, 08:31 PM

The fact that my attention span is considerably more narrow since work has been blowing up this year.
You're not the only one who suddenly appeared.

There's nothing here, except political hysteria capitalized on by media who literally make money on outrage. I'm just surprised CNN has already run out of Trump bashing clickbait articles, and has to resort to framing a couple WHOIS requests out of russia as "news".
Here's what caught my eye:
Questions about the possible connection were widely dismissed four months ago. But the FBI's investigation remains open, the sources said, and is in the hands of the FBI's counterintelligence team -- the same one looking into Russia's suspected interference in the 2016 election.
I guess its not as open and shut as you think?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2017, 08:32 PM

Trump adviser admits to contact with DNC hacker | TheHill
Stone tweeted on Aug. 21, “Trust me, it will soon [be] Podesta’s time in the barrel.” Weeks later, Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta’s hacked emails were leaked to WikiLeaks, leading many to believe Stone was aware in advance of the hack.

Stone denied any connection to the hacks at the time.
No shit.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 09:09 PM

I guess its not as open and shut as you think?
edited for tl:dr: I would be shocked if anyone with even a basic understand of dns and web technologies could look at this with a straight face and say "there's something here".

I mean, what possible nefarious behavior do you think sending 2820 WHOIS requests to a public trump mail server could be indicative of? If it were human operated or had human input, one WHOIS would have been more than enough to get the email address registered to the domain (which still won't get you anywhere near Trump himself). I doubt very seriously some russian miscreant was directing his staff to continually WHOIS a single trump server 2820 times, when the same result is returned each time as part of some conspiracy.

Step1: WHOIS a trump mail server 2820 times over 6 months
Step2: ???
Step3: Profit!

"Dimitri did you WHOIS Trump's server 40 times again today?!? If we keep running the WHOIS, no one will ever know about our conspiracy!"

Sounds to me like an automated process fishing out emails from known domains to spam later, or in a security capacity as response to marketing messages.

It's also important to note that Trump, his team, and his network have no control over who runs WHOIS against their domain. Infact, the information doesn't even come from his servers.

Also, if Trump was in contact with this bank. Why in the hell would they run WHOIS against a Trump mail domain? That makes absolutely 0 sense. If it were infact human input, they certainly wouldn't be running WHOIS to get in contact with Trump, and certainly wouldn't do it from their own public IPs. Any asshole, anywhere in the world can do that, and the domain-registered email address is definitely not going to go to Trump or any of his senior staff.

An idiot reading the CNN article would be grossly misinformed about the implications of running WHOIS. CNN openly calls it "often intent to communicate" which is about as dishonest as you can get. Seriously, if they are running articles like this no wonder everyone is all worked up - the media (CNN in this case) are doing their best to misrepresent the truth to stir the pot and generate page views.
( Last edited by Snow-i; Mar 10, 2017 at 11:06 PM. )

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 09:24 PM

I can't believe I'm saying this but Besson, get in here and set these fools straight on what WHOIS is and what kind of information you could expect from a WHOIS request. Your expertise in the area far surpasses mine.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2017, 09:29 PM

also, here is the WHOIS in question. In CNN's eyes, I am now elevated to the title of Russian hacker intent on destroying America from within, and without a doubt I "intend to communicate with Trump". :

https://www.whois.com/whois/trump-email.com

I'm sure trump personally communicates with his conspirators through "[email protected]" because no one could ever be dumb enough to believe he would.

Domain Name: TRUMP-EMAIL.COM
Registry Domain ID: 1565681481_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2016-06-29T14:27:44Z
Creation Date: 2009-08-14T20:06:37Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-07-01T03:59:59Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: Trump Orgainzation
Registrant Organization: Trump Orgainzation
Registrant Street: 725 Fifth Avenue
Registrant City: New York
Registrant State/Province: New York
Registrant Postal Code: 10022
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.2128322000
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: [email protected]
Registry Admin ID: Not Available From Registry
Admin Name: The Trump Organization
Admin Organization: The Trump Organization
Admin Street: 725 Fifth Avenue
Admin City: New York
Admin State/Province: New York
Admin Postal Code: 10022
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.2128322000
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax:
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: [email protected]
Registry Tech ID: Not Available From Registry
Tech Name: The Trump Organization
Tech Organization: The Trump Organization
Tech Street: 725 Fifth Avenue
Tech City: New York
Tech State/Province: New York
Tech Postal Code: 10022
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.2128322000
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax:
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: [email protected]
Name Server: NS33.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS34.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
( Last edited by Snow-i; Mar 11, 2017 at 12:22 AM. Reason: fixed transcription mistake)

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2017, 01:48 AM

Did you just punctuate your rant with 'sad' un-ironically?

Wow.
It's not as bad as you signing your whine about his rant with "wow".

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2017, 04:54 AM

I can't believe I'm saying this but Besson, get in here and set these fools straight on what WHOIS is and what kind of information you could expect from a WHOIS request. Your expertise in the area far surpasses mine.
I think our main point of disagreement here is your interpretation of the information in the article that has led you to believe that someone was running WHOIS commands. There is nothing in the article that leads me to this conclusion. I'm almost certain that what is actually happening is that the server was performing DNS table look ups.

These are not the same thing. WHOIS would be an individual trying to find out who owns a domain name. DNS lookups are the precursor of computers talking to each other over the internet.

Again, it's entirely possible there is an innocent explanation here. But it's weird and notable.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2017, 06:01 AM

Wait, diplomats and businessmen have relationships with people in other countries?!?!? Shocking I tell you! Do you have an extra tinfoil hat I can borrow?
Again, looked at in a certain light, you are correct. However, the concentration of people aligned with Trump who have material connections to Russia is outside of the norm. Add that to the amount of time Trump spent praising Putin. Add that to the fact that his people keep getting caught lying about their connections to Russia.

To quote Shepard Smith of Fox News:
Originally Posted by Shep
The White House says, ‘Ah, he was a private citizen at the time.’ But there’s been a lot of lying. There’s been lying about who you talk to, and by lots of people and almost inevitably and invariably, they were lying about talking to the Russians, about something. It’s too much lying and too much Russia and too much smoke. And now they’re investigating.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2017, 03:46 PM

Businessmen have connections to businessmen from foreign countries. Sometimes with officials who make decisions locally in those foreign countries. Not so much with a foreign country's ambassadors to their own country.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2017, 05:48 PM

I think our main point of disagreement here is your interpretation of the information in the article that has led you to believe that someone was running WHOIS commands. There is nothing in the article that leads me to this conclusion. I'm almost certain that what is actually happening is that the server was performing DNS table look ups.
i.e. a WHOIS request (which is the only type of DNS lookup that would provide an email address).

LMGTFY
http://www.pcnames.com/articles/what-is-a-dns-lookup

That article is pure fantasy, one that you're all too happy to indulge in.

These are not the same thing. WHOIS would be an individual trying to find out who owns a domain name. DNS lookups are the precursor of computers talking to each other over the internet.
This is factually incorrect. A WHOIS is a DNS lookup, the only one that is capable of returning an email address registered to the domain (which is what the CNN article is implying). Now you're just spreading misinformation, and reaching so far that you would fit right into the next Marvel movie. If you're talking about resolving a domain name using an NSLookup, all you get is an IP to the mail server. There's no email address that comes with it, which is obviously not what the CNN article is referring to.

Also, all computers need to talk to each other for is to have the domain, at which point the domain name is resolved to an IP. There's no need for a "precursor" request to be run once let alone 2820 times in this situation. Even still, this process would not give a way to communicate with Trump himself.

Again, it's entirely possible there is an innocent explanation here. But it's weird and notable.
I'll ask you again how a "DNS Lookup" [whois request] is weird and/or notable. Your partisan bias is showing, to the point that you're making stuff up to support a tinfoil hat level conspiracy theory first perpetuated by a media organization bent on profiting from your ignorance/outrage.

Regardless, you've not addressed how a "DNS Lookup" of any kind would get the requester to Trump himself, since this is all public internet record.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2017, 06:01 PM

i.e. a WHOIS request (which is the only type of DNS lookup that would provide an email address).
Not to belabour the point, but one of us is misunderstanding what happened, and I think it's you based on the poor technical understanding and unclear writing of the author.
Originally Posted by The Aticle
These leaked records show that Alfa Bank servers repeatedly looked up the unique internet address of a particular Trump Organization computer server in the United States.
In the computer world, it's the equivalent of looking up someone's phone number -- over and over again. While there isn't necessarily a phone call, it usually indicates an intention to communicate, according to several computer scientists.

What puzzled them was why a Russian bank was repeatedly looking up the contact information for mail1.trump-email.com.
Maybe I'm incorrect, but nowhere in the above do I get the idea that someone was doing a WHOIS lookup to find an email address. I read it as a server performing as DNS lookup on a particular host.

What in the article leads you to believe someone was looking for an email address? I think your mistake is the ambiguous use of the term 'contact information,' which I take to mean IP address.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2017, 06:15 PM

Not to belabour the point, but one of us is misunderstanding what happened, and I think it's you based on the poor technical understanding and unclear writing of the author.
I work in the field.

From the CNN article, before 3 pages of pure fantasy:

The Times said the FBI had concluded there could be an "innocuous explanation." And cybersecurity experts told CNN this isn't how two entities would communicate if they wanted to keep things secret.
Even the New York Times agrees with me.

Maybe I'm incorrect, but nowhere in the above do I get the idea that someone was doing a WHOIS lookup to find an email address. I read it as a server performing as DNS lookup on a particular host.
What other "DNS Lookup" request would it be doing? All others are just various ways of resolving IPs to domain names and vice versa. If it's not a WHOIS, and instead is NSlookup or something similar, this is even less of a story/moreso manufactured bullshit.

From the article:
Originally Posted by CNNarticle
n the computer world, it's the equivalent of looking up someone's phone number -- over and over again. While there isn't necessarily a phone call, it usually indicates an intention to communicate, according to several computer scientists.
But most certainly, this "phone number" IP would not get you anywhere close to Trump himself or any of his close/senior staff. Infact, we have the IPs themselves thanks to the WHOIS I ran, which like I said, any asshole in the world can run at any time for any reason (alongside NSlookup and all other DNS requests).

What in the article leads you to believe someone was looking for an email address? I think your mistake is the ambiguous use of the term 'contact information,' which I take to mean IP address.
If so, the article is being disingenuous past the point of dishonesty. IP addresses have never, in my 15 years in networking and technology, been referred to as "contact information".

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2017, 06:28 PM

Things we agree on which we both have stated:

1) There could be a perfectly innocent explanation for this
2) The article was poorly written as per the technical details

What we don't agree on:

That whatever kind of lookup the server from the Russian bank was doing, it accounted for 80% of all of these operations for the Trump server. I believe this is weird in and of itself. I believe it's notable because of all of known connections between Trump associates and appointees have to various Russian interests, of which we keep finding more because his people have been continually caught lying about them.

In isolation, it's nothing. As it is, it is part of a pattern. I will again quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard Smith of Fox News
The White House says, ‘Ah, he was a private citizen at the time.’ But there’s been a lot of lying. There’s been lying about who you talk to, and by lots of people and almost inevitably and invariably, they were lying about talking to the Russians, about something. It’s too much lying and too much Russia and too much smoke. And now they’re investigating.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2017, 11:01 PM

Things we agree on which we both have stated:

1) There could be a perfectly innocent explanation for this
2) The article was poorly written as per the technical details
So poorly written as to question the author's credibility when writing about the subject, correct?
What we don't agree on:

That whatever kind of lookup the server from the Russian bank was doing, it accounted for 80% of all of these operations for the Trump server.
DNS lookups? Again, what the hell is the relevance? Each request would return the same information. You're just throwing statistics out there not understanding that the number of DNS requests does not matter.

I don't think you understand the technology well enough to be drawing this conclusion. You are CNN's target audience, and this is why we have fake news all over the place: It works, and it gets otherwise reasonable people to click on manufactured drama. This is also what gets me so frustrated as a republican trying to be reasonable in the face of all this child-like hysteria.

What information could be gleaned from any DNS requests that could indicate any malfeasance? The part where the domain was resolved to an IP? Or the part where they looked up some general email domain's registration details?

I'm sorry, but you're reaching quite hard here and it's hard to take any of the allegations serious when you're so entrenched on a subject that you could easily verify with some light googling on why and how those types of things occur.

In isolation, it's nothing. As it is, it is part of a pattern. I will again quote:
You've not yet made a clear case for how such DNS requests could be used nefariously or would be a consequence of other nefarious actions. You only cited some statistics, which came from a "source" who is now running from.....who exactly? This is some tinfoil level shit right here.
Originally Posted by CNN article
Fear has now silenced several of the computer scientists who first analyzed the data.
Tea Leaves refused to be interviewed by CNN and is now "hiding under a rock," according to an intermediary contact.
I mean dude, really? I get the Trump hysteria train is all fashionable, but this is the hill you want to die on? This is CNN's source for the data. That DNS requests made by some computer on a russian bank's network against a mail domain used by Trump's extremely large organization is "weird and notable"? It's hard to have respect for such unrepentant partisan bias.

This is akin to an article claiming "oddness" when someone from a russian government IP goes on Trump's hotel's website. There is nothing here, not even close, but you just can't admit how sweet that cool-aid tastes.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2017, 03:47 AM

Look, you're getting pretty worked up about this, so perhaps the best thing to do is just agree to disagree. I've said more than once in my replies that there is likely a perfectly innocuous explanation for this. The most strident thing I've said is that it's 'weird and notable.' This is not a hill I'm particularly interested in climbing, much less dying on. My only desire was to illustrate why the FBI looked at it in the first place, and, in light of
Originally Posted by Shepard Smith of Fox News
why they haven't dismissed it completely. There is really nothing else to say on the matter.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2017, 07:16 AM

See how easily the leftists get dragged around by their noses by CNN and other fake news sources? They keep suggesting motives, as IF they can read minds.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2017, 02:49 PM

Look, you're getting pretty worked up about this, so perhaps the best thing to do is just agree to disagree.
You should lay it down, he's hammered you into the dirt enough as it is.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2017, 09:19 PM

See how easily the leftists get dragged around by their noses by CNN and other fake news sources? They keep suggesting motives, as IF they can read minds.
Like all those times CNN claimed Obama was coming for your guns and didn't. Oh wait, that wasn't CNN. Or the leftists.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2017, 11:52 AM

Look, you're getting pretty worked up about this, so perhaps the best thing to do is just agree to disagree. I've said more than once in my replies that there is likely a perfectly innocuous explanation for this. The most strident thing I've said is that it's 'weird and notable.' This is not a hill I'm particularly interested in climbing, much less dying on. My only desire was to illustrate why the FBI looked at it in the first place, and, in light of
why they haven't dismissed it completely. There is really nothing else to say on the matter.
This is not me getting worked up - this is a natural reaction to the intellectual equivalent of dancing around in your underwear with a metal sphaghetti strainer on your head claiming THERE'S SOMETHING IN THEM THAR COMPUTERS without having the slightest clue of how and why DNS is used globally and automatically. CNN manufactured a clickbait article that rises to the level of conspiracy theory, complete with some random dude named "Tea Leaves" who's "in fear for his life" for collecting public records requests, and yet you still believe there is something "weird and notable" there to support your narrative. How could you expect anyone, other than your fellow kool-aid drinkers, to take you seriously after this? Does anyone still take CNN seriously in 2017?

I am just concerned that you can't be skeptical of ANY anti-Trump/anti-GOP article, no matter how absurd or how devoid of reality it may be. In other words, I am concerned that you are partisan past the point of being able to have an honest intellectual discussion.

Anytime you have to say "why hasn't the FBI dismissed it completely" as evidence of any kind is case and point, especially given the article's admittance that there's no evidence Trump's general mail server and this Russian bank's network have communicated.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2017, 11:55 AM

This is not me getting worked up - this is a natural reaction to the intellectual equivalent of dancing around in your underwear with a metal sphaghetti strainer on your head claiming THERE'S SOMETHING IN THEM THAR COMPUTERS without having the slightest clue of how and why DNS is used globally and automatically. CNN manufactured a clickbait article that rises to the level of conspiracy theory, complete with some random dude named "Tea Leaves" who's "in fear for his life" for collecting public records requests, and yet you still believe there is something "weird and notable" there to support your narrative. How could you expect anyone, other than your fellow kool-aid drinkers, to take you seriously after this? Does anyone still take CNN seriously in 2017?
My apologies, obviously you are not getting worked up at all.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2017, 11:59 AM

I took a stab at the article, and it doesn't do a particularly good job making clear how much of this was DNS lookup and how much was WHOIS lookup.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2017, 12:11 PM

My apologies, obviously you are not getting worked up at all.
When you can't intelligently discuss the material, just accuse the other guy of getting worked up and call it a day.

Ad Hominem Examples

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I took a stab at the article, and it doesn't do a particularly good job making clear how much of this was DNS lookup and how much was WHOIS lookup.
Can I ask, what impact either would make? Just FTR, a WHOIS request is a type of DNS lookup (the below link will show you mostly all types):

Simple DNS Plus

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2017, 12:24 PM

There are a plethora of other articles out there that are more competent in their technology reporting on this.

The Verge has a pretty good article explaining things. They are are DNS lookups. It comes to pretty much the same conclusion I did. It's weird and notable, but not necessarily evidence of anything nefarious. I think any competent security admin that saw this kind of activity on a system under their watch would want to investigate. As the article says, there are more innocuous explanations than sinister ones, but given who the servers belong to, of course it's notable.

I'm feeling like a broken record here, but for all the jumping up and down and accusing me of scaremongering, liberal bias, and technical incompetence, all I ever attempted to do was give my $.02 on why this is a story and the worst I have had to say about the situation is that it's weird and notable. Maybe that makes me a crackpot, I dunno.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2017, 12:31 PM

Can I ask, what impact either would make? Just FTR, a WHOIS request is a type of DNS lookup (the below link will show you mostly all types):

Simple DNS Plus
In regards to this specific incident, I can't say because I don't want to give it any analytical juice without knowing what actually happened.

In a general sense, probably not much.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2017, 12:34 PM

I am just concerned that you can't be skeptical of ANY anti-Trump/anti-GOP article, no matter how absurd or how devoid of reality it may be. In other words, I am concerned that you are partisan past the point of being able to have an honest intellectual discussion.

Anytime you have to say "why hasn't the FBI dismissed it completely" as evidence of any kind is case and point, especially given the article's admittance that there's no evidence Trump's general mail server and this Russian bank's network have communicated.
I'm sorry, I don't consider the above an example of intelligently discussing anything. You call it an ad hominem, I call it checking out of a conversation that was going nowhere.

If you can make any of your points without managing to insult me, I'll continue. But the truth is I'm not sure what else I have to say. You keep accusing me of believing things I've never claimed. I've stated my thoughts on why it was a story and that's it.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2017, 12:36 PM

In regards to this specific incident, I can't say because I don't want to give it any analytical juice without knowing what actually happened.

In a general sense, probably not much.
Read the Verge article. I'm assuming (hoping?) it's fairly accurate and relatively non-biased politically.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 13, 2017, 01:06 PM

See how easily the leftists get dragged around by their noses by CNN and other fake news sources?
Yet here you are, unwittingly (or worse - purposely) imitating the grammar and sentence structure of your chosen candidate.

Of course most liberals hear a different version of what they actually heard, and add in assumptions of what was said. Sad.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 13, 2017, 02:38 PM

Fake news, anyone?
Originally, "fake news" meant stories completely made up by some guy in Macedonia to get Facebook likes and ad revenue.

So now I guess "fake news" means "news biased against your point of view"?

"Pope Francis endorses Hillary Clinton" is fake news. It's not a thing that happened.

"This server activity is suspicious" is not fake news, it's a (potentially) slanted take on something that actually happened.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2017, 03:37 PM

edited for tl:dr: I would be shocked if anyone with even a basic understand of dns and web technologies could look at this with a straight face and say "there's something here".
I'm not disagreeing with your technical analysis; I believe I saw something like that posted in July or so. But your analysis has no bearing on the report that the investigation is still open. Perhaps that is routine, but as a layman that seems noteworthy, and given past explanations, confusing.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2017, 12:17 AM

Its just the latest double standard.
To the left, fake news is fake news: Any fabricated story published as news.
To the right, fake news is any news story you don't agree with.

Its not even a new double standard, its just a new way to enshrine they way they've been thinking for years. If the truth is inconvenient, pretend its not the truth.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2017, 11:23 AM

People on the right just really love labels.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Its just the latest double standard.
To the left, fake news is fake news: Any fabricated story published as news.
To the right, fake news is any news story you don't agree with.

Its not even a new double standard, its just a new way to enshrine they way they've been thinking for years. If the truth is inconvenient, pretend its not the truth.
You seem to believe you can read minds or something? get over yourself.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
People on the right just really love labels.
Something they learned from the Marxists in universities, I suppose. I do find it interesting that activists on the Right are now using Alinsky-style tactics against the very people who invented them, with greater effectiveness.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2017, 12:52 PM

This post is fake.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2017, 02:48 PM

It's not mind reading, it's just people being really transparently dumb. You don't have to be able to see through walls when the walls are made of glass.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2017, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Something they learned from the Marxists in universities, I suppose. I do find it interesting that activists on the Right are now using Alinsky-style tactics against the very people who invented them, with greater effectiveness.
whoosh.gif

Forum Links
Forum Rules