Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Americans easily claim X-Prize!!!

Americans easily claim X-Prize!!!
BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 11:29 AM

Way to go Burt!!!!

We crafty Americans leave the rest of the world in the dust with our ingenuity yet again.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 11:34 AM

That's Really Really cool. (not that Americans did it per s�, just that anyone did)

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 4, 2004, 11:37 AM

I don't know if all the "USA USA" rah-rah is called for, but it's definitely cool.

Rock on Spaceship One! (Even though I was rooting for Carmack's team)
Nemo me impune lacesset

BoomStick  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 11:40 AM

I'm glad to see Burt win this as his engine engineer was killed during the development process.

He crashed test flying his own airplne. The whole project was dedicated to him.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
I don't know if all the "USA USA" rah-rah is called for, but it's definitely cool.
Maybe, The USA will REALLY land on the moon someday...

-T

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 11:50 AM

USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!!

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 12:14 PM

Well, I will be one of the passengers in the next 10 years or so, you can bet on it!!

go Burt!!! go Virgin Galactic!! High time we took the first few steps to get the hell outa this mad planet!!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
We crafty Americans leave the rest of the world in the dust with our ingenuity yet again.

Congratulations Burt Rutan & team...& America...& BoomStick. Great achievement, all of you.

djohnson
Professional Poster

Pretty cool!

Now where are the warp engines?

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie

The point isn't that Spaceship One is American. I'm just happy to see private enterprise making space travel more accessible. This is the way it should be. Spaceplanes are supposed to have "Pan-Am" painted on the side.

Next up: the flying cars I was promised as a kid.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 12:26 PM

I still would have preferred to see the race won by a vehicle that didn't need a piggy back ride into moderate altitudes before it fires its own jets. *sigh* Much cooler would be if the prize was won by a ship that could take off from anywhere without hitching a ride.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:31 PM

PIty about the nationalistic flag waving further up, but all the same way to go Burt Rutan and co. That's really an amazing achievement. I can't wait until Richard Branson starts the first paid flights with Virgin Galactic.
weird wabbit

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
I still would have preferred to see the race won by a vehicle that didn't need a piggy back ride into moderate altitudes before it fires its own jets. *sigh* Much cooler would be if the prize was won by a ship that could take off from anywhere without hitching a ride.
I don't follow that argument. Compare SpaceShip One -- which can take off and land from any reasonably large airstrip -- with a rocket which requires a complex purpose-built launch pad. I think the former is much more promising. It's what they should have done with the space shuttle but didn't because of budget cuts.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
I don't follow that argument. Compare SpaceShip One -- which can take off and land from any reasonably large airstrip -- with a rocket which requires a complex purpose-built launch pad. I think the former is much more promising. It's what they should have done with the space shuttle but didn't because of budget cuts.
But that, to me, is the biggest technological hurdle worth a big prize: figuring out how to get the lift and acceleration without all the special launchsite and piggy-back hoohah, all in a re-usable spacecraft. I feel this craft is only half-way there.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 12:45 PM

Congratulations to the SpaceShip One Team. The real beginning of commercial space flight.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 01:04 PM

But that, to me, is the biggest technological hurdle worth a big prize: figuring out how to get the lift and acceleration without all the special launchsite and piggy-back hoohah, all in a re-usable spacecraft. I feel this craft is only half-way there.

Compare the launch facility Alan Shepard's rocket required for its suborbital flight and compare that to taking off from an ordinary runway. Compared to that, SpaceShip one is positively conventional. The thing can take off and land basically anywhere.

What Rutan is doing is more like the way Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier. They used a mother ship too. It doesn't detract from Yeager at all, and nor should it detract from Rutan's team.

Edit: what Rutan has done is really directly comparable to the X-15 of the 1960s. That was launched from a mother ship too. The difference is that Rutan's ship is smaller, cheaper, flies (slightly) higher, is probably safer, and can carry 2 passengers. Yea for free enterprise!
( Last edited by SimeyTheLimey; Oct 4, 2004 at 01:19 PM. )

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 01:11 PM

That is if you can raise 10 mil for another award!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 01:12 PM

Spaceplanes are supposed to have "Pan-Am" painted on the side.
Looks like Branson will get there first:

"Branson, chairman of Virgin Atlantic Airways, announced last Monday that he would invest $25 million in a new space venture, to be called Virgin Galactic. The project will license Scaled Composite's SpaceShipOne technology for commercial suborbital flights starting at about $200,000."

Well done the team. I still want to see these mad Canadian launch their ship from a high altitude balloon though.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 4, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Looks like Branson will get there first:
Branson's just copying Stanley Kubrick.

DBursey
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 01:48 PM

Congratulations to the SpaceShipOne team for setting the bar for commercial spaceflight with two inspiring flights! Americans have every right to be proud of the successful effort made on their behalf in winning this international competition.

Kudos to the remaining teams whose efforts have yet to reach sub-orbital fruition. I hope they all intend to follow through with launch objectives for various individual project entries, as do the teams for both Canadian X-Prize entries:

Canadian Arrow Project
Da Vinci Project

vexborg
Senior User
Oct 4, 2004, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!!
*buuuurp*

hayesk
Oct 4, 2004, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Maybe, The USA will REALLY land on the moon someday...
Maybe your tinfoil helmet is on too tight.
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Maybe your tinfoil helmet is on too tight.
http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/tv/foxapollo.html
Are you always that humor impaired ?
Did you notice that ---> ?

-t

jcadam
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by DBursey:
Congratulations to the SpaceShipOne team for setting the bar for commercial spaceflight with two inspiring flights! Americans have every right to be proud of the successful effort made on their behalf in winning this international competition.

Canadian Arrow Project
Da Vinci Project
Absolutely, and I think the world would be better if everyone stuck to their relative strengths:

Europe: Science
America: Engineering (we take your science and make useful sh*t with it)
Asia: Reverse-engineering America's sh*t and manufacturing cheap knock-offs.

Seriously, the news makes me happy. Hybrid rocket engines eh? Neat things that, ultra-stable and safe in storage. I was a comp sci. student in college a few years back, had the opportunity to play around a bit with those (worked with the engineering students on several projects), hybrid because the fuel is solid and the oxidizer is liquid or gas. We had a small one strapped to a table, the fuel "rods" were cylinders of plexiglas, the oxidizer was a tank of oxygen (nitrous oxide is safer, but more expensive). Thing was loud as hell, but cool.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

BoomStick  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2004, 03:27 PM

Wow, the other projects are decades behind Burt Rutan's vision.

It's incredable that SS1 is a standard cable and shaft controlled aircraft with no computer assist.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 04:05 PM

GO AMERICA!!!!!!!!! YOU SHOWED DEM TERRORISTS!@!!!@U*(!&$*!&@�$&*@�!!!

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
GO AMERICA!!!!!!!!! YOU SHOWED DEM TERRORISTS!@!!!@U*(!&$*!&@�$&*@�!!!

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2004, 04:39 PM

so, how much is a ride to the moon? any discounts?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2004, 04:44 PM

The point isn't that Spaceship One is American. I'm just happy to see private enterprise making space travel more accessible. This is the way it should be. Spaceplanes are supposed to have "Pan-Am" painted on the side.

Next up: the flying cars I was promised as a kid.
Indeed!

Though I'm curious how many parts have components made overseas. I'd bet signifigant parts have overseas origin.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2004, 04:45 PM

Congrats to the team. Yet another giant leap for mankind. Not to say that we should dismantle NASA just yet, but this is an important step towards the day when private space travel is possible.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
Pretty cool!

Now where are the warp engines?

in the shop for repairs ... the left nacelle was venting ... they gotta patch it up

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2004, 07:16 PM

240,000 miles to the moon? Damn I only have enough frequent flyer miles for one way.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

hayesk
Oct 4, 2004, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Are you always that humor impaired ?
Did you notice that ---> ?

-t
Perhaps you should have put the instead?

Forum Links
Forum Rules