Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > What is the future of GUI with Leopard?

What is the future of GUI with Leopard?
TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2009, 01:15 PM

Ok, I used to use and love tricking my Mac out with ShapeShifter, Xounds, MightyMouse and more from Unsanity.com when I was running OS X 10.2.8 Jaguar on my old G3 iBook. Now I have upgraded to an aluminum MacBook Intel Core Duo running OS X 10.5.6 Leopard and downgraded to no Unsanity GUI Haxies that work with Leopard. Even their other apps aren't working for me. Like their WindowShade app. I can't get it to work for me at all. What I am frustrated with is the fact that the aforementioned apps that put Unsanity on the map are now useless and what ??? Being a registered user of their products for many years I am disappointed in the fact that Unsanity is not even letting their customers know what the heck is happening. This brings me to the real thing I don't dig about Leopard; the fact that it is not as flexible with GUI modifications as older OS X systems were. Man, I had practically everything you could think of on my old Jaguar G3 iBook personalized and. Cool themes, icons, start up screen, login screen, desktop, screensaver, sounds, everything that could possibly be tricked out was. This new Leopard system sucks when it comes to changing things. Without those awesome haxie apps like what Unsanity,com offered GUI is virtually non existent. Is there any hope for the future ???
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2009, 12:39 AM

architect for creating, facade for applying...
looks pretty promising.

i miss mighty mouse tho..fun to have a different cursor, and A GODSEND to be able to change the beachball...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2009, 05:09 PM

TheZee, those types of customizations and enhancements were never supposed to even be possible in Mac OS X. Those kinds of customizations were what made the classic Mac OS so unstable, and Apple was adamant about not allowing that in OS X. Unsanity took advantage of a small opening it had in previous versions of the OS to inject its code, and Apple closed the hole in Leopard.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2009, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
TheZee, those types of customizations and enhancements were never supposed to even be possible in Mac OS X. Those kinds of customizations were what made the classic Mac OS so unstable, and Apple was adamant about not allowing that in OS X. Unsanity took advantage of a small opening it had in previous versions of the OS to inject its code, and Apple closed the hole in Leopard.
that's not really accurate; customizations were not what caused un-stability in classic (altho they perhaps did not help);

i used shapeshifter for years, with various os x'es, without problem.

LOTS of things changed in 10.5, and unsanity's apps no longer are viable; the link in my post above is worth checking out.

customization BY DEFINITION changes things, so... not for everyone...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2009, 07:46 AM

I have to disagree with you, Big Mac. At least, my experience was free of instability from OS 8 on through to OS X 10.2.8 Jaguar. I never had any such problems with my Macs and I pretty much modified everything that could be modified on the various Apple laptops that I have owned. I really got into the whole GUI modification and personalization thing. I did a little theming for ShapeShifter using apps like ThemePark and I designed many MightyMouse cursor sets as well as Xound sound sets. Never had an issue with system crashes or the like. Personally, GUI mods and other similar haxies are what contributed to my becoming a Mac enthusiast. In my opinion, one of the primary distinguishing factors that separate Apple from PCs is their design. Not only their actual, unique hardware design but their ability to generate and inspire creative design in many different ways. I kind of feel that now that that has been, for lack of a better word, taken away, a Mac is looking like every other PC on the market and that is a sad thing to me. Windows, with its current evolutionary track has not abandoned their GUI mods. I remember when I couldn't wait to see what new and amazing ShapeShifter or Duality themes were out. Sites like ResExcellence.com, MacThemes, DeviantArt, and even this forum, which once had a thriving GUI section are rapidly fading into obscurity. I, for one, am not only disappointed, I am saddened by this. I fear that Apple is moving in a direction towards assimilation and as a result, GOD forbid, it may be difficult to distinguish itself from the Windows PC in the not so distant future. That would be a dark day indeed. Here's hoping I am way off base. Peace out. . .
TheZee

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2009, 08:58 AM

Your infatuation with the Macintosh was based on a complete misunderstanding.

Macintosh was always explicitly NOT about customization. It was about being the machine "for the Rest of Us" out of the box, with the user experience defined BY APPLE. That is the reason the System 8 themes never made it out the (front) door.

I loved my old Mac SE for the fact that I had it completely tricked out, custom icons ResEdited for *everything* etc.

Bt Apple never designed it to be customizable.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
architect for creating, facade for applying...
looks pretty promising.

i miss mighty mouse tho..fun to have a different cursor, and A GODSEND to be able to change the beachball...
So when is that Architect business supposed to see the light of day?

TheZee  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2009, 04:21 AM

Apple not about customization? Are you serious? Sell that theory to the many amazing GUI designers who have blessed us all with their creativity in icon design, system theme design, wallpaper design and on and on. Tell that to the creators of Candybar, Themepark, ShapeShifter, MightyMouse, Xounds. Even the hardware design of the Mac was one of the primary reasons that Apple survived and now thrives. Not about design customization? IPod: pick a color. iMac, Mac laptops, etc all winners of design awards many times over. It is design and customization over everything else that has increased Apple's market share. Yes OS X Kicks Ass but to the newbies what has drawn them to Mac is their design, be it hardware or software first, then comes the appreciation of the system. That's what I believe and that's what I know along with many other creative and prolific artists who once contributed to making Mac a visually awesome thing to experience. You're entitled to your opinion and I to mine. Peace out . . .

PS: Yes, I agree, Architect does look very exciting.
TheZee

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 14, 2009, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by TheZee View Post
Apple not about customization? Are you serious?
Absolutely.

You may not have been around long enough, but you'll remember that Macintosh didn't even support RAM expansion! (I had to clip a resistor on my Mac SE in order to get it to recognize more than a megabyte.)

The fact that there's a customization culture that has grown *despite* Apple doing all they can to create a unified experience for all users doesn't mean that this happened by design.

Forum Links
Forum Rules