Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Parrot/Bird Lovers: Meet My African Cape Parrot (PICS)

Parrot/Bird Lovers: Meet My African Cape Parrot (PICS)
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 09:07 AM

I know there are a few of you parrot and bird lovers here so I wanted to share with you pictures of my new parrot friend, an African Cape parrot, an uncommon parrot in aviculture.

I went into a pet store to pick up dog food and decided to wander over to look at their birds and saw this one in a cage there and wasn't familiar with it. It didn't look like an African grey and it didn't look like an Amazon, but looked like a cross between the two. I was puzzled because I'd never seen one before. When I spoke to someone they said that it was an African Cape parrot and that she had been in the store, in that little cage, for three years. She'd come in as a baby and had been there ever since. They wanted a lot of money for her, which is why she hadn't been sold, along with the fact that they said she was very mean and unfriendly. I told them I wanted to hold her and the animal tech said, "Don't say you weren't warned because she's very mean." She opened the lock on the cage and I put my hand in (expecting to be bitten) and to my surprise the bird stepped right up on my hand. The first thing she did was say in a tiny little voice, "Hellooooo!" It was apparent that she liked me.

I came home and read more about the Cape parrot. They are not very common (even a parrot exhibit here in South Florida does not have them I was surprised to discover when I called a friend who works there to possibly rehome the bird there if necessary), but there are some here in the United States and are with a few various bird collectors and aviculturists, but in the wild they are very endangered. The African Cape Parrot.

I felt very bad for that bird locked up in that cage for three years; the cage was 20 inches x 20 inches x 20 inches and too small for her in my opinion because she never came out and had spent an entire three years in that cage. So the next day I went back and bought her her freedom and brought her home. (And I kissed my new iMac purchase good-bye for a while. )

At first I thought I'd just get her out of there and find a better situation for her, rehoming her to a bird conservatory or someone else who raises and breeds these beautiful birds, as I have done several times in the past. But, I've discovered that she is actually extremely sweet and is very smart. She says quite a few things and has learned to say a few things in the few days she's been here and of all the birds we've taken care of she's the cleanest, the quietest, and just a joy.

She has a tiny little voice, though, smaller than the African grey or Amazon. But she's just as smart because she says situation-appropriate things. When she fell off the back of the chair on to floor she said, "Uh-oh!" When you approach her and she wants to be picked up she steps forward and says, "Step up, please." She's learned to say, "Birdy, birdy, birdy," because that is why my son says to her and she said that yesterday. I've been saying, "I love youuuu..." and this morning when I went to her cage to get her out she said, "I love youuuuuu..." and made a kissing sound.

So, enjoy the pictures and I just wanted to share them with the bird enthusiasts here. I put up several including one of her getting her very first shower (sadly, that pet store had never given her a shower in the entire three years of her life) and she loved it. (My husband built that bird shower for her.)

If you have parrots or birds share some stories about them - they are fascinating and beautiful!

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2006, 09:38 AM

Cody,

That is a great story. I've very glad you found her and that she has a good home now. I've only got two birds - a Greenwing Macaw and a Blue-fronted amazon - but I share your enthusiasm. Your new bird was grossly misunderstood, so I'm glad she found you. All the best!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 09:51 AM

Post some pictures, DKeithA! Tell us more about them!

aquadogus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2006, 10:03 AM

Here's mine.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 10:45 AM

Beautiful! What's his or her name? Aren't you afraid of that big beak? I love them - they're beautiful - but I'm afraid of being bitten by them because you know that they could really do some damage.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 10:50 AM

Hi Cody,

My dear best friend, how are you?

Thanks for the pictures, so cute. I know that you are doing an awesome job.

Hope that we can chat soon.

XOXO

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 11:08 AM

Really beautiful specimens. There is a guy here at the boards that has an African Grey a.k.a. Yako as signature, those are my favourites.

Have fun with your new friends

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by wdlove
Hi Cody,

My dear best friend, how are you?

Thanks for the pictures, so cute. I know that you are doing an awesome job.

Hope that we can chat soon.

XOXO
Seriously, this is getting sickening. Just bang her already.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

aquadogus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg

Beautiful! What's his or her name? Aren't you afraid of that big beak? I love them - they're beautiful - but I'm afraid of being bitten by them because you know that they could really do some damage.

Her name is Booker, everyone thought she was a he until we had it checked. It turned out to be a her, so we now call her Bookie (not much better).

Yes, her beak can do some damage, but she's never done more that a some minor dings. She's a great bird, but you have to be in it for the long haul, they can live a very long time.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 12:09 PM

Hi WD!

That's a WONDERFUL name! And she's beautiful - the color and sheen on her feathers is simply gorgeous!

(starman: I'm married and so is WDLove - )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 12:24 PM

Hi WD!

That's a WONDERFUL name! And she's beautiful - the color and sheen on her feathers is simply gorgeous!

Hi Cody,

Thanks!

I hope that we can chat soon

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2006, 01:07 PM

Post some pictures, DKeithA! Tell us more about them!

Here's a few photos of 'the Girls.'

http://homepage.mac.com/hyperating/PhotoAlbum1.html

Rory (age 2) is just a bundle of love - she loves pizza crust and loads of attention the most though.

Orlando (age 6) is the sweetest Amazon alive. She likes watching American Idol and the Lawrence Welk Show and listening to Billie Holliday.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 01:11 PM

Hi WD!

Um, yeah, I know, but this "hi, Cody..hope we can chat soon" BS is getting on my last nerve. They're turning into +1 posts. Don't post that in the boards.

http://forums.macnn.com/search.php?searchid=804864

71 posts of wdlove saying "hope we can chat". That belongs in PMs.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 01:19 PM

Congrats. Do the bird a favor and be sure to feed it a varied and healthy diet. No seeds!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 02:24 PM

Cody, WD, Starman, hope we can all "chat" soon.

Cody, marriage is not a preventative measure.
I, ASIMO.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 02:37 PM

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The owner does not respond.)

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Praline: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!

Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you show...

(owner hits the cage)

Owner: There, he moved!

Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!

Owner: I never!!

Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!

Owner: I never, never did anything...

Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!

(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!

Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?

Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.

Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.

Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.

Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?

Owner: The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!

Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the first place was that it had been NAILED there.

(pause)

Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that bird down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and VOOM! Feeweeweewee!

Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!

Owner: No no! 'E's pining!

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

(pause)

Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. (he takes a quick peek behind the counter) Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh, we're right out of parrots.

Mr. Praline: I see. I see, I get the picture.

Owner: I got a slug.

(pause)

Mr. Praline: Pray, does it talk?

Owner: Nnnnot really.

Mr. Praline: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?

Owner: N-no, I guess not. (gets ashamed, looks at his feet)

Mr. Praline: Well.

(pause)

Owner: (quietly) D'you.... d'you want to come back to my place?

Mr. Praline: (looks around) Yeah, all right, sure.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 03:00 PM

starman
Um, yeah, I know, but this "hi, Cody..hope we can chat soon" BS is getting on my last nerve. They're turning into +1 posts. Don't post that in the boards.

Like YOUR posts really belong here?

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets)

Starman, if you don't like it then go post in another thread. Since you know that WDLove says those things in the threads I post or post in, then ignore them.

I'm sure that WDLove will say it again very soon. Probably in this thread.

"Hi WDLOVE!"

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 03:27 PM

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 03:49 PM

That's actually funny, 'cause a friend of mine has an Amazon parrot that LOVES fried chicken.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 03:52 PM

Hey, DKeithA - Visited your link and really love the pictures of those birds.

Tried to send you a message afterwards and when I put in my email address - a gmail.com email address - it won't send the email to you. It just says, "Please specify a valid email address." As if gmail isn't valid?

Anyway, have a good one!

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2006, 04:38 PM

Thanks, Cody Dawg,

I'll check out what the deal is with the email link.

Best of luck with your new friend. What are you going to name her?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 05:47 PM

I grew up with those in my garden. Beautiful birds. Born and bread in Zululand with all manner of wild animal in the back yard.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 06:15 PM

Hi Cody, Hi WDlove !

AWESOME !

Hope we can fu.., uhm, I mean chat soon

-t

baw
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2006, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by the_glassman

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 06:45 PM

the sad part is now that they sold her they will get a new one and keep it locked in a cage for another 3 years.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 07:15 PM

I don't think so.

Fish & Wildlife Dept. paid them a little visit.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2006, 07:15 PM

No offense but living here in Nairobi everyday I see atleast a dozen different kinds of birds in my yard, from various kinds of eagles and hawks to Sacred Ibis, and even the odd Kingfisher.

Sticking a bird in a cage is quite possibly the cruelest thing one can do I think.

I'm with Dark Helmet, buying a rare bird only perpetuates the problem. I see parrots being sold on the side of the road here everyday. Sure they look sick and pathetic, but 'buying their freedom' only encourages the poachers and animal traffickers.

You didn't free a bird, you only encouraged the owner of the pet store to buy more of them...and guess where they come from?...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
No offense but living here in Nairobi everyday I see atleast a dozen different kinds of birds in my yard, from various kinds of eagles and hawks to Sacred Ibis, and even the odd Kingfisher.

Sticking a bird in a cage is quite possibly the cruelest thing one can do I think.
I agree, birds FLY. Clipping wings and putting them in a TINY cage is horrible. People think they don't mind because they eat their little seeds and say hello but I am sure the bird would rather be flying around.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 08:44 PM

This bird, for the record, is walking around my house free...as...a...bird.

I also have a huge area that functions as an aviary. I do animal rescue and that room is specifically for fostering unwanted or rehomed birds. It has 25 foot high ceilings and non-toxic tropical plants and a bird-friendly waterfall in it. (It's also nice to have breakfast there in the mornings. )

And no matter what you think, the bird is MUCH better not being in that little cramped cage. Right now she's sitting on the back of a chair eating a big juicy piece of papaya that I cut up for her and she has papaya all over her little beak and face. She's definitely happy.

P.S., I love Nairobi. Is the Trattoria Italian restaurant still there? LOVE that place. I stayed the Fairview when I'd go there.

Nairobi.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by starman

And how does this cause your world to unravel? Are we supposed to maximize your efficiency in how you recreate and kill time in the lounge?

BTW, the time you spent writing this post you could have simply pressed that down arrow key a few times.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 09:08 PM

How's it going, besson3c? You crack me up. You can tell that you run a large IT department with your vocabulary.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 09:13 PM

How's it going, besson3c? You crack me up. You can tell that you run a large IT department with your vocabulary.

I'm doing pretty well, just thinking about getting something to eat... you?

Be careful you don't get caught in death spirals caused by saying hi to people on a forum lounge area, they'll get you every time!

DEATH SPIRALS I tell you! Do NOT dismiss me. This is serious stuff!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 09:18 PM

<low voice> THAT post was tooooo hot.

<high voice> THAT post was tooooooo cold.

<happy angelic voice> And THAT post was juuuuusssttttt right!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2006, 09:47 PM

Like YOUR posts really belong here?

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets)

Starman, if you don't like it then go post in another thread. Since you know that WDLove says those things in the threads I post or post in, then ignore them.

I'm sure that WDLove will say it again very soon. Probably in this thread.

"Hi WDLOVE!"

You are correct Cody. We are good friends. Your time is precious. So I enjoy the time that I can say Hi!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 10:06 PM

Here is my pet bird playing with this pink question mark I found:

andi*pandi
Mar 23, 2006, 10:46 PM

how do you find time to care for all these animals and your kids and your job. wow.

cute bird!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2006, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
how do you find time to care for all these animals and your kids and your job. wow.

cute bird!

I don't have any animals or kids to take care of, but thanks! I think he's cute too.. I call him "Big Bird", I thought it would be a clever name.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Mar 23, 2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi

cute bird!
Great question. Something doesn't add up here.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 12:09 AM

Like plaids and stripes don't match up?

Hi WDLove!

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2006, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c
And how does this cause your world to unravel? Are we supposed to maximize your efficiency in how you recreate and kill time in the lounge?

BTW, the time you spent writing this post you could have simply pressed that down arrow key a few times.
Well, it happens to get on my nerve too. I was actually a day or two from posting something similar. You don't say "Hi" on a web forum: you're not physically or electronically there at the same time. It justs litters the board. It's like placing post-it in various location, and then come back to see if someone responded. Or writing on the bathroom wall.

If you want to chat and miss these precious moments, don't complain about it, DO IT! Fire up iChat or IRC or even PM and then say "Hi". We don't "meet" here, we discuss. For the same reason, we don't say "have a good night" when we're done.

Sometimes it fits in the context, but most of the time, these personnal messages pops up from nowhere and are not followed by anything relevant to the actual topic. You're not here for the topic, you just left a non-related message saying you were looking forward to chat, plus the obligatory pat in the back.

Nice birds, by the way!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Well, it happens to get on my nerve too. I was actually a day or two from posting something similar. You don't say "Hi" on a web forum: you're not physically or electronically there at the same time. It justs litters the board. It's like placing post-it in various location, and then come back to see if someone responded. Or writing on the bathroom wall.

If you want to chat and miss these precious moments, don't complain about it, DO IT! Fire up iChat or IRC or even PM and then say "Hi". We don't "meet" here, we discuss. For the same reason, we don't say "have a good night" when we're done.

Sometimes it fits in the context, but most of the time, these personnal messages pops up from nowhere and are not followed by anything relevant to the actual topic. You're not here for the topic, you just left a non-related message saying you were looking forward to chat, plus the obligatory pat in the back.

Nice birds, by the way!

Hmmm.... I can understand your point of view, and I think you have made some good points.

However, don't you think that there are several other points of failure with discussion in here? All of the bickering, the grudges people carry with them from thread to thread over other members, etc.?

My point is that I don't think we can constantly ensure free-flowing conversation here. After a certain point, it seems more sensible to simply let something be what it is going to be.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 24, 2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c

WD isn't being hateful, has no ill intentions.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2006, 10:50 AM

Like plaids and stripes don't match up?

Hi WDLove!
Hi Cody!

My Friend

mindwaves
Mar 24, 2006, 11:06 AM

Hi everyone!

Keep on topic!

That means cut the Hi stuff out next time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules