Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do I back up?

How do I back up?
muglet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2003, 12:36 PM

I've just put all my holiday photos into my camedia program folder and it suddenly hit me that if (and when!) my computer bites the dust I have no way of saving these pictures (other than printing them all out, of course).

Can someone tell me what would be the best way of saving them? I have OS9 so I don't think I can just stick a cd in and save them to that, can I? I did think about transferring them all to Fotango but there's an awful lot in the albums now and when they come back onto camedia from there the quality isn't as good as it originally was.

I've never been particularly bothered about backing up anything as there wasn't really anything on my computer that needed saving. Now there is! Help!

Cheers,
Muglet

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 4, 2003, 11:15 PM

What's your computer setup like? Can you burn CDs? Do you have a Zip drive or a SuperDisk drive?

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2003, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
What's your computer setup like? Can you burn CDs? Do you have a Zip drive or a SuperDisk drive?
I don't know, I've never tried. How do I do it? I'm pretty certain I don't have a zip drive or SuperDisk drive unless it was already installed on the computer when I bought it. My computer setup is just the bog standard, out of the box, set-it-up kind.

Muglet

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 5, 2003, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by muglet:
I don't know, I've never tried. How do I do it? I'm pretty certain I don't have a zip drive or SuperDisk drive unless it was already installed on the computer when I bought it. My computer setup is just the bog standard, out of the box, set-it-up kind.

Muglet
What kind of computer is it? If you can tell what model it is (iMac, Power Mac, etc.) and how old it is, we can hopefully figure out if it has a CD burner in it.

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2003, 11:16 AM

What kind of computer is it? If you can tell what model it is (iMac, Power Mac, etc.) and how old it is, we can hopefully figure out if it has a CD burner in it.
Its an iMac and is just over 2 years old (very ancient now, huh?!). Runs on Mac OS9.2.

Muglet

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 5, 2003, 12:50 PM

Its an iMac and is just over 2 years old (very ancient now, huh?!). Runs on Mac OS9.2.

Muglet
Let's find out if you have a CD burner. Click the Apple menu, then Apple System Profiler. Click the Devices and Volumes tab. Look around in there, click the triangles to reveal more info, and see if you can find anything along the lines of "Finder burning enabled" or something like that. I can't remember at the momemt.

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2003, 01:56 PM

Let's find out if you have a CD burner. Click the Apple menu, then Apple System Profiler. Click the Devices and Volumes tab. Look around in there, click the triangles to reveal more info, and see if you can find anything along the lines of "Finder burning enabled" or something like that. I can't remember at the momemt.
Wow! I'd never been in that bit before. Amazing what you find out after years of owning something!!! Trouble is, I can't find anything remotely like "finder burning enabled". So I guess thats a "no" I can't burn cds. Any other ideas? Or am I going to have to fork out for a rewriter?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 12:28 AM

Wow! I'd never been in that bit before. Amazing what you find out after years of owning something!!! Trouble is, I can't find anything remotely like "finder burning enabled". So I guess thats a "no" I can't burn cds. Any other ideas? Or am I going to have to fork out for a rewriter?
I'd say your best bet for backing up is a FireWire CD writer. It's not the only solution, but I think it's the wisest.

muglet  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2003, 11:04 AM

I'd say your best bet for backing up is a FireWire CD writer. It's not the only solution, but I think it's the wisest.
Thank you for the advice and help. I'll go surfing to find a good priced one right away.

Cheers
Muglet

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 12:17 PM

Thank you for the advice and help. I'll go surfing to find a good priced one right away.

Cheers
Muglet
Anytime.

I don't think Apple posts the CD-RW compatibility list for iTunes 2 anymore, so you might want to check the compatibility list at xlr8yourmac to see some reader reports before you buy. Good luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules