Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Is this sig ok?

Is this sig ok?
mikkyo
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 08:59 PM

Or is it too big?
Heh.
Maybe a big auto sig with all the projects in one image should be made?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 5, 2004, 10:39 PM

Cool, but too big... but cool.

(Where could I get those images? I am on SETI and RC5)
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

reader50
Administrator
May 6, 2004, 03:18 AM

mikkyo, sorry but it's too big. The 140 x 40 limitation is (I think) a total image limitation for sigs, and each image individually is at the maximum already. I'd need to hack up a custom multi-project sig, which isn't impossible. I've lobbied a bit for wider sig images, but the admins have not bitten yet.

PowerMacMan, check out the stats sigs thread for instructions. They are easy to set up.

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 10:42 AM

Oooh! Idea: How about if we get the admin to permit larger sig images to NN members which contribute to the various MacNN distributed computing teams. This way, it could be used as a recruiting tool!

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

Turias
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 10:48 AM

Why don't you do what philzila and Mindfad are doing? Write a script that makes it so that only one of your sigs is randomly displayed.
( Last edited by Turias; May 6, 2004 at 01:19 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Why don't you do what philzila and Mindfad are doing? Write a script that makes it so that one of your sigs are randomly displayed.
No, don't...it's actually very annoying and their sigs have no character. Sadly, even Demonhood as fallen for the madness...

reader50
Administrator
May 6, 2004, 04:21 PM

Ok guys, I tried my silver-tongued best, but my bribe budget was shot for the month and my persuasive skills were not up to the task. For now, the sigs stay at a max of 140 x 40 total.

mikkyo, please cut your sig down to size. I can rig you up a rotating sig option, or try to pack two (three?) project stats into one sig. It's likely to get crowded, let me know what option you want to try.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2004, 04:45 PM

How do I find out my user IDs for RC5 and SETI? I don't see myself on the Team MacNN SETI member page, even though I joined the team through the link on the Team MacNN page. And I don't even know how to find out my RC5 user ID.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2004, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
How do I find out my user IDs for RC5 and SETI? I don't see myself on the Team MacNN SETI member page, even though I joined the team through the link on the Team MacNN page. And I don't even know how to find out my RC5 user ID.
You should be in this list.
http://teamstats.macnn.com/seti1/sta...035&range=1035
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 6, 2004, 08:26 PM

Got it working.

Today, while looking for my user IDs, I really explored the Team MacNN page for the first time. I must admit, it is very impressive. I don't recall ever seeing another Team page that is as useful as the Team MacNN page.

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 6, 2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
Got it working.

Today, while looking for my user IDs, I really explored the Team MacNN page for the first time. I must admit, it is very impressive. I don't recall ever seeing another Team page that is as useful as the Team MacNN page.

That is because we are the best!

mikkyo  (op)
Senior User
May 7, 2004, 04:43 AM

How about a sig php script that takes project and uid as arguments and stuffs the stats into one sig?

You don't really need your name/handle in the sig since you are posting from some name(probably the same)with the sig.

It could just stack the ranks like
Team MacNN
D2OL #1 9,238M
Ubero #2 4,233B
F@H #5 76,293A

maybe limited to 3 for readability?
Something like
h t t p://teamstats.macnn.com/multisig.php?d2ol=12&ubero=27&fold=34&seti=0&dfold =555&rc5=99

And why 140X40? Would 40X140 be ok? 70X80? (more lines)
Is it size or K that matters?

I think TeamMacNN sigs should be exempt, since they are home site based, and mainly text.

Turias
Mac Elite
May 7, 2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by mikkyo:
h t t p://teamstats.macnn.com/multisig.php?d2ol=12&ubero=27&fold=34&seti=0&dfold =555&rc5=99

And why 140X40? Would 40X140 be ok? 70X80? (more lines)
Is it size or K that matters?

I think TeamMacNN sigs should be exempt, since they are home site based, and mainly text.
The URL wouldn't really work since arguments in an image URL didn't work in all browsers. reader instead had to use mod_rewrite to simulate arguments in a path-like structure. It's still possible, but would make the script much more complicated.

As for the size of the sigs, the site admins would never go for it. They seem to be absolutely set on their 140x40 limit.

mikkyo  (op)
Senior User
May 7, 2004, 11:18 PM

Ok.
Instead of images, since there is no significant limit on text, how about an url that will return the current stats for a UID?
Then the sig could print colored text with whatever stats you wanted, since having a graphical image to convey textual data is not at all necessary.

Then one could do something like this and be completely sig legal
Note: This is not a graphic, but an html table
<table width="10" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" frame="border" bgcolor="#330066">
<tr><td colspan="3" align="center" nowrap><font size=-2 color="#FF66CC">Team MacNN</td></tr>
<tr><td align="left"><font size=-2 color="#FFFF00">D2OL</td> <td align="center"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">#1</td> <td align="right"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">4.3M</td></tr>
<tr><td align="left"><font size=-2 color="#FFFF00">Ubero</td> <td align="center"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">#2</td> <td align="right"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">504K</td></tr>
<tr><td align="left"><font size=-2 color="#FFFF00">F@H</td> <td align="center"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">#7</td> <td align="right"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">65K</td></tr>
<tr><td align="left"><font size=-2 color="#FFFF00">dfold</td> <td align="center"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">#30</td> <td align="right"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">200</td></tr>
<tr><td align="left"><font size=-2 color="#FFFF00">Seti</td> <td align="center"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">#56</td> <td align="right"><font size="-2" color="#FFFF00">4.5K</td></tr>
</table>

reader50
Administrator
May 8, 2004, 12:09 AM

I'd love to return text, but there is no obvious way to do it. HTML is enabled in the Team forum, but this is very nearly the only forum where it is on (the other is Web Developer).

Besides, HTML is disabled in sigs, period. The forum you are in does not affect that limitation. Pulling in data from a remote server as text ... if you can figure a way to do it with vBB tags, I'd be very interested.

mikkyo  (op)
Senior User
May 8, 2004, 12:33 PM

Well with html content being off there doesn't seem to be any way to do it.
If the sig feature itself supported hitting an url to get the sig data as text and display that instead of the actual url, that would work.

As for vBB tags, I think you'd have to expand them to have an embed/dynamic link retrieval and support tables.
Since there is no way to hit an url, receive the content(even as vBB tagged text) and stuff that back into the sig in one step.
I thought of using the ALT tag for images, then via some gross hackery getting the text though that way, but that wouldn't really work either.
Of course this just kinda sucks in general, since one can generate an image based on data and return a gif, which can be displayed, you'd think there would be some simple way to do that with just text.

Forum Links
Forum Rules