Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft Zune announced

Microsoft Zune announced
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 12:54 PM

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/m...ches-the-zune/

I know most people here will favour the iPod for obvious reasons, but still, IMO, the Zune is:

Overweight
icky in that brown colour!

Doesn't have enough storage options
takes quite a few 'hints' from the iPod design

However, things I do like include the large screen, and the UI looks pretty cool too.... I don't really know if you cna compare it to the iPods UI, they are totally different, but I like it...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Sep 14, 2006, 12:57 PM

As all MS hardware the 1.0 will suck, they will get blasted for it etc. Then the next gen comes around with all the feedback and is actually pretty good. Just look at the Xbox and Windows CE.

MS rushed the Zune so they had Toshiba rebrand their hardware for the first gen. The are working on the second gen as we speak and it is all being done inhouse.

"Hello, what have we here?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:01 PM

While I agree that MS pretty much sux at hardware and they will have an uphill battle they do have one advantage. Using their monopoly power to try to gain market share.

One thing I am disapointed with apple is the screen size, it appears the zune has a larger screen. If they're going to stay on top they better continue to innovate, I had hoped to see an markedly improved ipod last tuesday because of the increased competition and the increased functionality of watching movies. Instead we got a brighter screen.
Michael

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 01:04 PM

Um, are those wallpapers?

o.0

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 01:06 PM

geeks will love it, everyone else won't get it. People love the iPod not because it does everything, but because it does what they want to do well.

From a marketing standpoint, tacking on more things sounds like a good idea, but many consumers tend to reject more features because they don't want the confusion. The cool thing about the iPod is that you can just plug it in and it works. If the wireless integration of the Zune isn't seamless, it's going to be a major embarrassment.

Also, even if there is user error regarding the setup and maintenance of the Zune... the user will assume it's the fault of Microsoft.

hickey
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 01:06 PM

Im interested in seeing how the whole wi-fi music borrowing thing actually works.

It would blow ipod away if it had integrated skype

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
While I agree that MS pretty much sux at hardware and they will have an uphill battle they do have one advantage. Using their monopoly power to try to gain market share.

One thing I am disapointed with apple is the screen size, it appears the zune has a larger screen. If they're going to stay on top they better continue to innovate, I had hoped to see an markedly improved ipod last tuesday because of the increased competition and the increased functionality of watching movies. Instead we got a brighter screen.
All apple needs to do is release one model with a 640 x 480 screen and it's all over IMHO. That would simply destroy the Zune.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
Im interested in seeing how the whole wi-fi music borrowing thing actually works.

It is sorta lame. I mean how many other zune users are you going to run into and say "hey let me send you a song I think it is cool and you can only play it a few times in the next 3 days".

That aside why did they use power hungry Wifi for file sharing instead of bluetooth?

CleoW
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
That aside why did they use power hungry Wifi for file sharing instead of bluetooth?
Maybe because of the range???
13" MacBook Intel Core Duo- 1GB RAM- 80GB HD| 30GB iPod Video| 1GB iPod Nano

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 01:23 PM

What are the physical dimensions of the Zune and its screen?

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
All apple needs to do is release one model with a 640 x 480 screen and it's all over IMHO. That would simply destroy the Zune.
It looks like Samsung is going to make this much more commonplace in 2007:

3" 30 Hz 640x480 colour LCD

Are iPod screens 30 Hz or what?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by CleoW
Maybe because of the range???
Well if you are standing by someone telling them to turn on Wifi to send a song I don't see the 30 foot bluetooth range being a problem.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 02:25 PM

Looks okay, but I wouldn't get one. My next purchase will be a shuffle, and then for my next full sized mp3 player I'll actually ditch the iPod and go with something a little more offbeat like Jens.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 02:38 PM

brown?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 02:59 PM

well apple did sorta steal the big letter showing you where you are when scrolling thing from the zune proto. still i dont see this thing doing well. you think ms realizes that when turned sideways the buttons like play/pause look stupid. its not a big deal, i mean i know what button it is..but from a design standpoint that looks pretty lame if its going to be used on its side as well as its normal position.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 02:59 PM

We are all forgetting the most important thing. CONTENT!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 03:04 PM

I agree that when a device such as this tries to do too much, it will fail to have an impact on the market like the iPod did/has. The PSP is one example. Its a great device, in that it does a ton of different things. But it doesn't to it well.

Its like the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none."

But this is typical Microsoft. They do it in everything they make. They jam it full of features and options thinking that more is better. They do it in their software, hardware, and their advertising. The Zune will not be an iPod killer. It will take some market share away, but it won't dethrone the iPod. That is, unless Apple falls asleep at the wheel. Apple needs to redesign the iPod very soon. They need a large wide screen format option, at the very least. I'm confident that they'll do it, or something similar.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 03:20 PM

I hate to say it but I like the LOOK of the computer interface:

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/0...software_1.jpg

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 03:31 PM

Looks like a darker iTunes
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 03:37 PM

Here it is in action:

YouTube - Zune

I like the size of the screen.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
Looks like a darker iTunes
That's why I like it. I hate the silver iTunes look. I want it to look like some slick stereo equipment or white like an iPod but not drab grey.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 04:26 PM

Until it can play iTunes purchased songs, the Zune will trail behind the iPod. IMHO, the wireless function is not a great function since it will drain battery life. Also, how many other same brand name mp3 players, besides the iPod, do you see more than 1 of in an area? I see maybe a Creative once in while...and maybe a Dell jukebox, but never more than one within a large area. I see lots of iPods everywhere, and I think that Microsoft will have a hard time convincing people to replace their iPods with a Zune...therefore the wireless function may only be good for a Microsoft trade show...the only time I see more than 1 or 2 Zunes within range to share music. Who knows though...stranger things have happened, like Apple's switch to Intel.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 04:36 PM

Financial Times made a good point, which is that in this type of market, the dominant company remains dominant until the paradigm shifts, regardless of whatever competition comes its way. Apple will remain dominant until a new form of music distribution becomes popular, which will probably happen 10 years from now. A good comparison is the struggle by MSN, Yahoo, etc to take over the top spot from Google. They can work as hard as they want, but Google will stay no.1 until there is a paradigm shift.

kman42
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 05:26 PM

That interface is horrible. It's a cluttered mess with no separation between elements. And why are there just a bunch of album covers with no information? Talk about useless. I do like the color scheme though.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Financial Times made a good point, which is that in this type of market, the dominant company remains dominant until the paradigm shifts, regardless of whatever competition comes its way.
That's the most interesting thing I've read all day. Seriously.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 05:39 PM

Yawn.

porieux
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 05:43 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 02:13 AM. )

porieux
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 05:47 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 02:13 AM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 05:50 PM

No it's an appealing design. Black tends to be conducive of entertainment, Front Row is a good example of this, as is the movie section of iTunes.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 05:52 PM

I cannot wait to not buy one of these.

fhoubi
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 06:06 PM

I wonder how the package box will look like .
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

harrisjamieh  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Financial Times made a good point, which is that in this type of market, the dominant company remains dominant until the paradigm shifts, regardless of whatever competition comes its way. Apple will remain dominant until a new form of music distribution becomes popular, which will probably happen 10 years from now. A good comparison is the struggle by MSN, Yahoo, etc to take over the top spot from Google. They can work as hard as they want, but Google will stay no.1 until there is a paradigm shift.
Thats the best theory about the iPods future I have heard.

I guess it can be compared to the Walkman. The Sony Walkman was THE music player (the cassette version), until a new form of portable music came out (ie portable CD).

IMO, there was no real leader in portable CD players, but then we are back to the walkman senario with the iPod, which will indeed stay at the top until the next big thing comes along (which will probably be mobile phones which are as good as being MP3 players as actual MP3 players, ie the 'iPhone')
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi
not bad.

press images

Does it have some sort of removable battery, or is it fixed like the iPod? Battery life, non removable batteries, was one of the things the iPod haters liked to beat it with.
That round button is dyeing to be a 'click wheel' (look that vid if the ui, even the user want's it to be a wheel) they should have gone for some sort of smooth OLED interface, like this cool looking one from Samsung.

Oh and it's not just brown but brown with green hi-lights, MMMM!
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Sep 14, 2006 at 06:53 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2006, 06:44 PM

I hate to say it but I like the LOOK of the computer interface:

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/0...software_1.jpg
Typical Microsoft. At least 30 pieces of flare, but confusing. I'm wondering how they'll f*ck up the usability in favor of special effects, also in typical Microsoft fashion.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by fhoubi

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 14, 2006, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
Here it is in action:

YouTube - Zune

I like the size of the screen.
Towards the end it shows a file transfer and the animation accompanying it.

Its the spinner (as seen in iPhoto) but with dots instead of lines, MS couldn't help themselves, they had to flog something!

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 08:02 PM

since, as steve said, 70% of the autos in 07 will have ipod connectivity, does the zune or any other mp3 player have the same connector at the bottom of the ipods?

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2006, 08:19 PM

I'm pretty sure that 70% that Steve mentioned includes stock stereos with an aux input...those cars do technically have iPod connectivity, but not full integration, and they'll also connect to any other device with a miniplug out.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 08:39 PM

I will not be drawn to the dark side of force!

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 09:08 PM

Looks good, I think it will be a hit. I just think that the battery life is gonna be horrible
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Sep 14, 2006, 09:28 PM

Zune supports h.264, MP3, AAC and WMA.

Interesting...
- Eric

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 09:40 PM

The brown looks like poop. I'm not even gonna lie. Whoever came up with the brown should be shot.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
since, as steve said, 70% of the autos in 07 will have ipod connectivity, does the zune or any other mp3 player have the same connector at the bottom of the ipods?
If it does, Microsoft will get sued for it . Let's hope it does, but makes car stereos mess up.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2006, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
The brown looks like poop. I'm not even gonna lie. Whoever came up with the brown should be shot.
Apparently it doesn't look so bad in person. Kudos to Microsoft for being original and breaking out of the boring, stale iPodish colors (white, aluminum, black)

porieux
Baninated
Sep 14, 2006, 09:50 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 02:12 AM. )

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 11:27 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 14, 2006, 11:32 PM

Looks like Vista. Pretty, but poorly designed.

The radio station they demoed is a real station, and happens to be my most favorite ever radio station though. Compliments on that.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

kick52
Baninated
Sep 15, 2006, 01:14 AM

It is sorta lame. I mean how many other zune users are you going to run into and say "hey let me send you a song I think it is cool and you can only play it a few times in the next 3 days".

You can imagine some people (well, the only people) with zunes.

-"Hey, hear this cool track."
-"Cool."
-"Do you want me to send it to your zune?"
-""What? and only be able hear once a day? sod it, i'll just use bittorrent."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
brown?
Do you happen to remember the gold ipod mini? Not much of a better colour choice, IMHO.

kick52
Baninated
Sep 15, 2006, 01:36 AM

Rather than paying for individual songs, Microsoft Zune Marketplace also allows consumers to download as many tracks as they want for a flat fee.
Microsoft ITMS Killer/"Killer"?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 01:42 AM

Damn! That looks thicker than my 1st gen iPod!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules