Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > BootCD for Tiger - testers wanted

BootCD for Tiger - testers wanted (Page 2)
MacMatt
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2006, 01:01 PM

For info...
I tested the Tiger build for Charles (build 8211) and when created from OS 10.4.2 it worked just fine. When created from later Tiger versions (10.4.4 and 10.4.5), it would not work.

The CD I created has Disk Utility, Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro and all work okay.

I'm running a MDD, Single 1.25GHz.

Matt

chungjoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2006, 07:21 AM

Hey Charles,

I would like to test the Beta of BootCD for Tiger too.
I'm working in a big IT-Company and I have a great bunch of Macs where I can test it. (iMac G5, PowerBook G4, Mac Mini G4, PowerMac G4, etc.)

Thanks a lot!

Andre

Bookkeeping
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2006, 04:49 AM

Hi Charles,

I work for 1 of the largest universities in Australia as an IT professional.

Could you please email me the Beta BootCD program so I can test it.

Thanks in advance.

Leigh

dblkliKer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2006, 10:21 PM

Dear Mr. Srstka,

plz send me latest version for testing.

Best Regards

H.G.

Phi.Nguyen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2006, 10:32 PM

Hi Charles,

I would like to test the Beta of BootCD for Tiger too.
I work for the school in the lab and really need this boot CD.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 10:54 PM

Again, BootCD for Tiger is on hold.

I used to have it working on older builds of Tiger, but not anymore. The latest software updates have broken it. It does not work at all right now, and there is nothing to give you.

There's something in the current version of Tiger that prevents me from being able to make a RAM disk at startup. Since a whole lot of stuff I do requires the RAM disk, this means there can be no BootCD until it's fixed. To illustrate the problem, I tried Apple's own System Image Utility, and the boot CD that it made failed to boot properly due to the RAM disk not mounting. Unless something is wrong with my system, this means that it's gonna have to wait until Apple fixes this. Since Apple won't have any need to make a new boot CD for PPC OS X until Leopard ships, Tiger might just have to be skipped.

To be perfectly honest, the future doesn't look bright, either, given that I can't afford an Intel Mac right now, and I'm not exactly sure how I'd make this work on Intel without one.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 11:34 PM

I like how every request was by someone with only 1 post.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2006, 11:36 PM

This thread's been linked to from a bunch of other places, I suspect.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

vossman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 12:50 PM

Could you release the source, so others can help you tinker with it. It sounds very time consuming.

digital_dreamer
Jan 1, 2007, 07:49 PM

I think we should just forget the unsupported RAM disk boot process and move on to something different. How about creating a bootable USB drive with some of your favorite apps?

Here's a link for Boot OS X86 from a Pendrive. Admittedly, there are a lot of little details here, but if someone would write a simple script/installer that would take your install disk or system install and create a minimum bootable USB drive for x86 and/or PPC with your favorite programs, I'd love it.

regards,
MAJ

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 1, 2007, 07:59 PM

Most PPC Macs can't boot from USB.

iigs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2007, 10:07 PM

The Kanguru Firewire flash drive boots on PPC and Intel Macs. You can even put both on the 2Gb one

Forum Links
Forum Rules