Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Humming Noise

MBP Humming Noise
bondsteel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 04:29 PM

My 2.0 Ghz MBP makes a very low humming sound, kind of like my G4 did when the processor was set to full performance. However, my MacBook Pro does it at all energy settings. Has anyone else noticed this? Wondering if it is unique to mine.

Otherwise, it is amazing.

danonamac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 05:19 PM

Yep, mine too. Seemed to go away after it warmed up.

ll350
Feb 21, 2006, 07:07 PM

I read that that has something to do with the display being set below it's highest brightness setting, the backlight elements make a noise when they aren't running at full power.

thephotodork
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2006, 09:58 PM

As a side note, my 17-inch Apple Studio Display also would make a distinct humming sound until it warmed up. Not saying that this is using the same technology as those 3-5yr old desktop LCDs, however it could be a similar phenomenon.
PowerBook G4 12-inch 1.0GHz ComboDrive; Mac OS X (10.4.5); 100GB 5400-RPM
(Dreaming of a 2.0GHz Orp KoobCam)

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2006, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by ll350
I read that that has something to do with the display being set below it's highest brightness setting, the backlight elements make a noise when they aren't running at full power.
my MBP is going to be replaced under AppleCare as DOA because of the display whining issue. not all of the machines exhibit this whining noise, and i consider it unacceptable (i'm a musician in my other life, and have sensitive/neurotic hearing).

description of my MBP's whine for the archives:

- not present at 0 brightness or full brightness
-- present at every brightness level in between

- not affected by processor load
-- running a proc-heavy app such as Photo Booth does nothing
-- switching cores on and off through the Better Performance/Energy Savings settings does nothing

- not affected by the "Automatically adjust screen brightness" setting when at full brightness
-- the whine is present when it's manually or automatically adjusted down as you'd expect

in summary there are at least two causes of whining on the MBP. one is from the processor and is affected by processor load; another is from the display and is affected by screen brightness settings. also, if this issue annoys you sufficiently and you report it in time you can get your machine replaced by Apple as DOA.

i just hope that the replacement does not exhibit this whining noise... if that happens i'll DOA it again, get a refund instead of a replacement, and personally audition machines at the local Apple Store until i find a quiet one.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2006, 11:10 AM

Is this noise similar to the hard drive whirring fruity iMacs made?

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2006, 01:33 PM

Made made a noise on low brightness settings when I first unpacked it. It was exactly the whine my TiBook has. It's mysteriously disappeared though. Dunno what I might have down but it's gone now.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by darcybaston
Is this noise similar to the hard drive whirring fruity iMacs made?
this noise is definitely not from the hard drive. it disappears without fail 100% of the time when the backlight is off, and diminishes greatly or disappears the vast majority of the time when the backlight is at full brightness. i've heard loud and dying hard drives, and this is not the same noise.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Troll
Made made a noise on low brightness settings when I first unpacked it. It was exactly the whine my TiBook has. It's mysteriously disappeared though. Dunno what I might have down but it's gone now.
does it appear on all brightness levels, or just low brightness levels? on my soon-to-be-returned unit the noise starts immediately at the first "click" below full brightness, reaches peak intensity at about halfway down the scale, and maintains that intensity with a different timbre all the way down to one click above the backlight being turned off. also of note is that it didn't make this noise initially, but only started after about a week of (heavy but not absurd) use.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2006, 01:09 AM

an update: my replacement machine (picked up in person at the apple store university village here in seattle) does not have the same buzzing noise from the display that the first one exhibited.

cgijon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2006, 01:53 PM

read other peoples comments before posting, shesh.

Forum Links
Forum Rules