Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > McCain Suspends Campaign, Wins Election (with BO's help)

McCain Suspends Campaign, Wins Election (with BO's help) (Page 2)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 07:26 AM

Rachel Madcow has been pushing this "story" (and the bogus "trooper" story, who BTW, is still a trooper), while ignoring the fact O' Bama has two former Fannie CEOs on staff, one who made over $90,000,000 over six years, and the other was also CEO of Lehman Brothers.
( Last edited by Chongo; Sep 25, 2008 at 11:32 AM. )
45/47

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 07:27 AM

Since McCain seems to be shielding Palin from any and all criticism, (And with good reason -- have you seen her interviews lately?) I think this was the goal of this stunt all along:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ing-vp-debate/

McCain supporter Sen. Lindsey Graham tells CNN the McCain campaign is proposing to the Presidential Debate Commission and the Obama camp that if there's no bailout deal by Friday, the first presidential debate should take the place of the VP debate, currently scheduled for next Thursday, October 2 in St. Louis.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 07:47 AM

That is the exact reason, the polling is terrible, I am telling you, I know it, I am doing it, I am living it. Their internal polls are the same as ours and they are scared. Palin is the last great white american hope for McCain, he needs her off that debate. They will Let the scary brown man beatup grandpa on stage, but we can't let Palin be seen torn up by ole Joe.

There will be more moves like this, there HAS to be, he has to do something, this is not a close election.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 08:27 AM

So John McCain called Letterman yesterday to tell him he couldn't make it to the show because he had to rush to the airport to catch a plain to Washington. Well, during the taping of the show, Letterman learned that McCain was actually 4 blocks away doing an interview with Katy Couric. They cut to the CBS internal news feed and catch McCain getting makup put on for his interview. This is what Letterman had to say:

I don’t want to keep beating this thing, but it just really is starting to smell now. Because he says to me on the phone, I took a phone call from John McCain – a lot of senators don’t call me – and so I felt like OK, as part of the national good, I understand and I said good luck and thank you for being attentive to the cause. And he said maybe next time I’ll come in and I’ll bring Sarah Palin. And I said, fine, whatever you need to do, that’s just fine. And he said, yeah, we’re going to go save the country. And then it’s like we caught him getting a manicure or something!
More quotes and video here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/show...man-chide.html

John McCain has fallen of his rocker and he can't get up. Seriously, people want to vote for this guy?

Another good quote:

Sure, there’s an economic crisis. And here’s what you’re do if you’re running your campaign in the middle of an economic crisis and its about to crater…You’re a fourth term senator from Arizona. You handle what you need to handle. Don’t suspend your campaign. You let your campaign go on, shouldered by your vice presidential nominee. That’s what you do…

You say, I gotta get back to Washington to save this country. Good for you. And while I’m gone, campaigning in my stead will be my great running mate from the state of Alaska, Sarah Palin. And she comes out and campaigns. What happened there? What’s the problem? Why isn’t she doing that?
Why didn't he choose that path?
( Last edited by TheMosco; Sep 25, 2008 at 08:36 AM. )
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Mithras
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 08:41 AM

That video is just brutal. That's kind of the reaction I thought McCain's move might inspire -- a "wtf? are you kidding me? You can't just walk out like that."

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 08:59 AM

To be fair, if you're trying to focus on serious issues and help solve a major league crisis, it's probably a bad idea to go on a comedy show and joke and kid for the cameras. It's like how other Presidents have been raked over the coals for going on vacation or playing golf while the world melts down.

McCain was apparently damned if he did, damned if he didn't. He should never expect the media to help him out like they do Obama.

So the question remains: we are in the middle of a major, once in a century crisis that will have major impact on the next president, and the guys at the top can't agree to pause for a couple of days to make sure it's taken care of? Is that the message we are getting? It's more important to campaign 2 or 3 days than to focus on saving the economy. Sure, people can multi-task - but why they need to? Why can't we focus on what's most important? That's the problem with Washington - some think their job is to campaign and don't spend a lot of their time doing their jobs.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 09:11 AM

The issue was that he LIED. Not that he canceled the show with funny man.

"I can't make the debate because my dog ate the economy."

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 09:18 AM

Letterman's points were:
1. Don't lie to me about suspending your campaign and going to Washington to work, when in fact you are just going to give an interview to someone else.
2. If you really have to work, then send your VP candidate to campaign for you.
I certainly don't care if McCain brushed Letterman off, but he does seem to be getting into the habit of lying.

Originally Posted by Graham
McCain supporter Sen. Lindsey Graham tells CNN the McCain campaign is proposing to the Presidential Debate Commission and the Obama camp that if there's no bailout deal by Friday, the first presidential debate should take the place of the VP debate, currently scheduled for next Thursday, October 2 in St. Louis.
Wow. If this is real, then McCain is either terribly afraid of Palin's incompetence or just working terribly hard to lower expectations. (Aren't they already low enough, though?)
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 09:23 AM

Best I can tell this is a knee-jerk by McCain (and one I can't imagine was endorsed by his campaign staff). To what end, I can't fathom. What little I've read indicates McCain had no reason to want to avoid this first debate. It's possible he wanted to steal Obama's bi-partisan thunder, and if that's the case, he completely miscalculated. It's opened both the multi-tasking criticism, and brought more chatter about Palin and what she's doing. (As for the canceling the VP debates theory, seems too convoluted. I mean, we are capable of having to sets of debates in one week, right? Or only having two presidential debates...)

In my opinion, this would have looked 10x better if he had done this last week, when the market was going nuts, not this week, when it seems to have settled some.

I don't think this is an election breaker by any means. But I do suspect that if Obama manages to garner a win in November, media and pundits alike will start here when looking for where McCain went wrong.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
To be fair, if you're trying to focus on serious issues and help solve a major league crisis, it's probably a bad idea to go on a comedy show and joke and kid for the cameras. It's like how other Presidents have been raked over the coals for going on vacation or playing golf while the world melts down.

McCain was apparently damned if he did, damned if he didn't. He should never expect the media to help him out like they do Obama.

So the question remains: we are in the middle of a major, once in a century crisis that will have major impact on the next president, and the guys at the top can't agree to pause for a couple of days to make sure it's taken care of? Is that the message we are getting? It's more important to campaign 2 or 3 days than to focus on saving the economy. Sure, people can multi-task - but why they need to? Why can't we focus on what's most important? That's the problem with Washington - some think their job is to campaign and don't spend a lot of their time doing their jobs.
seriously?

we are in the middle of a major, once in a century crisis that will have major impact on the next president, and the guys at the top can't agree to pause for a couple of days to make sure it's taken care of?
So by pausing, you mean lie to Letterman about getting on a plain back to Washington, and then going on national television. Doesn't look like he was rushing to get back to Washington does it? He hasn't helped with the negotiations at all. Nothing has changed in the last 72 hours that has called for him to suspend his campaign, except that he has been dropping in the polls. Like Letterman said, there is no need to suspend his campaign. Why didn't he just have Palin go on the show? Why can't he just have Palin take the lead?

Is that the message we are getting? It's more important to campaign 2 or 3 days than to focus on saving the economy.
Thats not the message at all. If he was serious about this, he wouldn't have done it the way he did it. He wouldn't be doing interviews with Katy Couric. He wouldn't be sitting in a chair getting makup put on. He would be Washington while Palin campaigns for him, keeping the politics out of this.

Sure, people can multi-task - but why they need to? Why can't we focus on what's most important?
Sorry Afghanistan and Pakistan, can you guys just take a break from getting more messed up while I sort out some issues here? Thanks...

Thats what that sounds out? I can't believe you are defending this.

That's the problem with Washington - some think their job is to campaign and don't spend a lot of their time doing their jobs.
Yeah, I mean McCain hasn't even voted on a bill this quarter and 1 last quarter. Even Obama has some, not alot, but still more than 1 combined in the 2 quarters!

Look, McCain has handled this whole thing horribly. If he was truly serious about helping these negotiations, there is a lot more that he could have done then suspend his campaign like that and parading around about needing to take this seriously.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 09:32 AM

I don't know how I feel about this move by McCain but the multitasking thing is just another bullshit Obama weasel phrase and I can't believe that you people are latching to it like a bunch of piglets on Obama's teat.

Wait, yes i can.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
I don't know how I feel about this move by McCain but the multitasking thing is just another bullshit Obama weasel phrase and I can't believe that you people are latching to it like a bunch of piglets on Obama's teat.

Wait, yes i can.
I can't speak for anyone else, but the first thought I had when I heard about McCain suspending the campaign was "He can't do this while campaigning?" well before I heard about Obama's comments. Is going back to Washington for a few days that much of a campaign killer? The Veeps for both sides can't carry on? He can't fly out for the debate at the last minute? He set himself up for this.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 09:46 AM

"Why can't he do two things at once" was what I was thinking when I heard about McCain's plans, even before Obama said it.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 09:53 AM

First thing I thought was "Maybe someone should remind Obama that he's still a Senator."

Oh that's right, he'll "Be there if they need him." Maybe he can just phone this one in. (to borrow a phrase)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 09:57 AM

You sure you didn't think that after you were told it, you sure you weren't latching on as you so freely accuse everyone else of doing? Sure sounds a lot like a RW national show I was listening to this morning

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
You sure you didn't think that after you were told it, you sure you weren't latching on as you so freely accuse everyone else of doing? Sure sounds a lot like a RW national show I was listening to this morning
To be honest, the second line IS from one of those shows, as I eluded to.

The first line is exactly what i said to my wife as soon as I heard what was going on.

I don't think this makes McCain look as good as he hopes it does but Obama's response was pathetic, as usual.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 10:02 AM

First thing I thought was "Maybe someone should remind Obama that he's still a Senator."

Oh that's right, he'll "Be there if they need him." Maybe he can just phone this one in. (to borrow a phrase)
That 8:30 am call Obama placed yesterday indicated to me he hadn't completely forgotten about the Senate.*

*This is part of what makes McCain's move so confusing. I've consistently heard of how Obama has neglected his Senatorial duties in the face of campaigning. If McCain used his time between now and the debates to focus on the crisis without suspending his campiagn, he could have given himself some fantastic high ground. By suspending the campaign, all it's indicated to me is McCain has just as much trouble doing both at once, meaning he's no better.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 10:06 AM

Fact is, I really don't want Obama anywhere NEAR the Senate. McCain getting involved in this is bad enough.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2008, 10:07 AM

Until you were reminded that neither candidate serves on a relevant committee, right?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 10:14 AM

Wow just saw the FOX News poll, which has some good polling looking at the full poll, Gives Obama a 6pt lead, what I found interesting is exactly what our polls are showing.

Dems who are breaking to Obama - 84% as opposed to 79% in early Sept.
Is Palin holding out the last 2-3% we expect for the GE?

Independents are up from 31% now at 36% Obama (5% more than McCain) [Our polling showed up 9% in Florida]
Republicans are also up since early Sept. at 6% for Obama [FL polling showed now 12% of Rep are for Obama]

Interesting is 49% of Independents think McCain is making unfair attacks on Obama, where as only 34% think the reverse is true.

Indecision08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
That 8:30 am call Obama placed yesterday indicated to me he hadn't completely forgotten about the Senate.*

This is part of what makes McCain's move so confusing. I've consistently heard of how Obama has neglected his Senatorial duties in the face of campaigning. If McCain used his time between now and the debates to focus on the crisis without suspending his campiagn, he could have given himself some fantastic high ground. By suspending the campaign, all it's indicated to me is McCain has just as much trouble doing both at once, meaning he's no better.
The dereliction of duty accusation applies to both. In fact the voting records show that McCain has missed more votes than Obama.

McCain: 412 votes missed (64.1%), 231 votes cast
Obama: 295 votes missed (45.9%), 348 votes cast
110th

McCain 58 votes missed (9.0%), 587 votes cast
Obama: 11 votes missed (1.7%), 634 votes cast
109th

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 10:22 AM

but Obama's response was pathetic, as usual.
Of course you think that, things always look the way you want them to look when you have made up your mind. Evidence always fits your beliefs and clouds tend to look like the animals you love. LOL

His response was realistic, and preisdential, we need to deal with Terrorism, Hurricanes, Wars and Financial Crisis all at the same time. If fires break out in CA or a Hurricane slams NC this week we need someone "don't worry I got this shi* too" It is not time to take our attention off everything to focus on a whole bunch of nothing.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2008, 10:28 AM

Wait, yes i can.
More like it's the obvious thing to think if you take McCain at his word. There's a guy at my work who's always making excuses about how he can't do one thing because he has to do something else — he gets made fun of the same way, because all the rest of us somehow manage to do more than one thing in a week.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
More like it's the obvious thing to think if you take McCain at his word. There's a guy at my work who's always making excuses about how he can't do one thing because he has to do something else — he gets made fun of the same way, because all the rest of us somehow manage to do more than one thing in a week.
Oink Oink

If it wasn't for multi-tasking I wouldn't get anything done at work! (Reddit, Fark, 4Chan, etc. need me)

SDW2001  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2008, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Is he going to win all 50 states, SDW?
Nice to see you, BRussell! I like it here.

Originally Posted by NYK Ace View Post
well i think we all know he's not going to be going to be sitting in front of a laptop or any computer for that matter... after all, we all know mccain doesn't even know how to use a computer

obama calls mccain at 8:30am to agree to release a joint statement, mccain calls obama back 2:30pm and agrees, mccain suspends his campaign 2:45pm and makes sure he is the first one to speak with the media to make it look like his idea. Country first? Right... John McCain first.
OMG. That is so 9/15/08.

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
I just watched Obama's press conference and all I can say is you're high on crack.

There was no attack, Obama calmly stated he disagreed with McCain on whether the debates should be rescheduled, offered his reasoning and that's that.
No attack? Then you are either so blinded by partisanship that you can't understand veiled attacks, or you're actually that intellectually dishonest. Obama first implied McCain can't do more than one thing at a time. Then he said something about bipartisan statement, claiming that he "had certain principles" that he saw "Senator McCain had now adopted as well." haha. He's the master of Weasel Words. Jesus.

It's clear to see where the partisan camps default position is. The right will rally around McCain selflessly going to Washington to fix this financial mess. The Left will agree that the debates are important too and have suspicion as to his true motivations or real effectiveness. I certainly understand why certain members of congress currently engaged in the issue might suspect his motives.

If you think any of this nonsense is going to decide the election you're fooling yourself. There is NO WAY this gets fixed overnight. I hope not, because we're talking about 700 BILLION DOLLARS!!!
It might do just that. However, the media seems to think that McCain made a mistake, so who knows.

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
McCain has completely lost it. The USA managed to maintain a functioning democracy during two world wars and the Great Depression, but McCain can't campaign while at the same time working in Washington? Ridiculous.

This reminds me of something: a certain tried to stall elections in NYC because of 9/11. How'd that work out?
No one is talking about suspending an election, Mr. Straw Man. We're talking about postponing a debate to work on a major financial crisis, one that according to Alan Greenspan calls a "once in a century event."

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I absolutely agree, it's a bad move for McCain. Last time somebody thought he shouldn't bother campaigning for a while, he lost the primaries by a large margin. Plus, where is his wingman (= VP candidate), ideally she should be able to take over the campaigning while he's working in Washington. Speaking of Sarah Palin, where is she?
Please elaborate about the "stopping the campaign" comment you made. When? What were the specific results?

All the people will who argue (or think) he's too old will now have new cannon fodder. Since McCain isn't involved in the details of the upcoming deal (AFAIK he's not on the relevant Senate committees nor is it his strong point in terms of qualifications). How long does he want to stop campaigning? I don't think this crisis will be resolved within a month (band aids don't count), so does he want to stop campaigning until after the election?
I love when people just make things up that sound good to them. McCain has said nothing about a month. He clearly implied that the debate on Friday might even go on if the bill was passed.

IMO he'd fare much better to formulate the guiding principles to solve this crisis during a debate which focusses more on economic issues rather than just foreign policy (which is one of McCain's strong points).
Yes, like Obama, who thinks the best thing (and most important) is not to pass legislation immediately, but to issue a statement. Oh, and he'll be around if he can be helpful.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 10:34 AM

I didn't think that "multitasking" should include dividing time between serious issues and self-serving ones.

Oh yeah I forgot, Obama is running for US.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 10:38 AM

I didn't think that "multitasking" should include dividing time between serious issues and self-serving ones.

Oh yeah I forgot, Obama is running for US.
Do you think McCain's dramatic suspending of the campaign was anything other than self-serving?

C'mon, Obama isn't the only one playing campaign theatrics here.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 10:41 AM

Bob Scheiffer on CBS The Early Show just Said the rumor around town is that the McCain campaign wants the Presidential debate rescheduled to take place next Thursday so that Palin doesn't have to debate Biden.

So much for "Barracuda will eat him alive"

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 10:49 AM

Do you think McCain's dramatic suspending of the campaign was anything other than self-serving?

C'mon, Obama isn't the only one playing campaign theatrics here.
Just trying to counter his stupid point.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Bob Scheiffer on CBS The Early Show just Said the rumor around town is that the McCain campaign wants the Presidential debate rescheduled to take place next Thursday so that Palin doesn't have to debate Biden.

So much for "Barracuda will eat him alive"
The rumor around here is that Obama isn't really an American.
Rumor? Yawn.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 10:51 AM

Rumor? Yawn.
We must be on the same email list?

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 11:04 AM

McCain gave a speech today at the Clinton Global Initiative in New York. Does he not care about our country? Why is he still campaigning in the middle of a once-in-a-century financial crisis?

The only way this wouldn't have been a stunt would have been if McCain and Obama had come to an agreement to put off the debate. Making an announcement without an agreement automatically makes it a stunt. For one thing, it makes it politically difficult for Obama to agree to put off the debate.

But McCain could at least have tried to play along with his own script. Lying to Letterman yesterday, and continuing to campaign today just reinforces the growing perception of widespread dishonesty in his campaign. And it is impossible to put this off on one of his aides.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

OreoCookie
Sep 25, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post
Please elaborate about the "stopping the campaign" comment you made. When? What were the specific results?
Hint: Rudy Gulliani, 2008
I love when people just make things up that sound good to them. McCain has said nothing about a month. He clearly implied that the debate on Friday might even go on if the bill was passed.
I was talking about the crisis in the banking sector -- which surely isn't going away within the next month -- and not McCain's campaign. He has to `start campaigning' again before the crisis has been resolved one way or another.
Yes, like Obama, who thinks the best thing (and most important) is not to pass legislation immediately, but to issue a statement. Oh, and he'll be around if he can be helpful.
I haven't mentioned Obama at all in my reply nor have I mentioned anything you've said here.
Obama and McCain have apparently agree to issue a joint statement on the economy. And the reason why no legislation has been passed is because members of both parties in Congress feel uneasy about handing out this type of money (as well as they should).

I don't expect that neither McCain's nor Obama's direct involvement will speed things up one bit.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 11:13 AM

In my opinion, this would have looked 10x better if he had done this last week, when the market was going nuts, not this week, when it seems to have settled some.

The problem is last week he still thought the economy was sound, remember?

kido331
Sep 25, 2008, 11:14 AM

No one is looking to Obama for leadership on this. Not Pelosi. Not Reid. Not any of the democrats. However, all of the Republicans, and Harry Reid I might add, are looking to McCain for leadership as without his support, the deal will not go through and the markets will begin correcting Monday morning. If nothing is done, the markets will be what dominates the news cycle next week, not anyone's debate performance.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 11:15 AM

Rumor? Yawn.
So why can't Palin run the campaign?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by kido331 View Post
No one is looking to Obama for leadership on this. Not Pelosi. Not Reid. Not any of the democrats. However, all of the Republicans, and Harry Reid I might add, are looking to McCain for leadership as without his support, the deal will not go through and the markets will begin correcting Monday morning. If nothing is done, the markets will be what dominates the news cycle next week, not anyone's debate performance.
I think its more like what are they supposed to do, tell John McCain that don't need him? If they had said, No, we don't really need you, he would been left out to dry. You figure if they really thought he was needed, wouldn't they have been the ones that would have called for this to happen?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post

Absolutely. No doubt. He has a job to do and he needs to do it. The election is secondary (though, not unimportant, just less time sensitive)

But, what is his running-mate up to while he's doing his senatorial stuff? Isn't this *exactly* the kind of thing the Vice Presidential role exists for?

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 11:34 AM

I am absolutely astounded by the amount of inane partisan drivel in this thread.

Anyone who doesn't see this for the disingenuous political stunt that it is (McCain's announcement) is an idiot. Period. It doesn't matter if you are pro-McCain or pro-Obama, this reeks of one-up-manship of the highest order.

It is clear from news accounts that Obama called McCain first, they talked later in the afternoon about a joint statement (which was agreed to in principle), and then McCain blindsided Obama with his announcement on TV moments later.

Neither of these guys are on the commitee hashing out the details of this plan so they have no reason to be there right now.

I've lost all respect I had for McCain.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 12:20 PM

I cant believe that John'Drill Now'McCain cant chew gum and clap at the same time?!?!?

What if 2 issues come up at once while hes in the White House??

I guess multitasking is not his strong point.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Anyone who doesn't see this for the disingenuous political stunt that it is (McCain's announcement) is an idiot. Period.
Political Radar: Bill Clinton: Don't 'Overly Parse' McCain Request to Delay Debate

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2008, 01:21 PM

That's in relation to delaying the debate scheduled for Friday, not suspending his entire campaign to return to Washington to miraculously make headway in a commitee he is not even a part of.

...saying McCain did it in "good faith" and pushed organizers to reserve time for economy talk during the debate if the Friday plans move forward.
I don't see any mention in that article of McCain's decision to completely suspend his campaign.

Indecision08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2008, 01:21 PM

"Washington, DC—Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid made the following statement today in response to the McCain campaign’s call for postponing Friday’s scheduled debate:

“This is a critical time for our country. While I appreciate that both candidates have signaled their willingness to help, Congress and the Administration have a process in place to reach a solution to this unprecedented financial crisis.

“I understand that the candidates are putting together a joint statement at Senator Obama’s suggestion. But it would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation’s economy. If that changes, we will call upon them. We need leadership; not a campaign photo op.

“If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now.”
http://democrats.senate.gov/newsroom...cfm?id=303537&

kido331
Sep 25, 2008, 01:27 PM

From Bob Schieffer on CBS News this morning.

I am told, Maggie, that the way McCain got involved in this in the first place, the Treasury Secretary was briefing Republicans in the House yesterday, the Republican conference, asked how many were ready to support the bailout plan. Only four of them held up their hands. Paulson then called, according to my sources, Senator Lindsey Graham, who is very close to John McCain, and told him: you’ve got to get the people in the McCain campaign, you’ve got to convince John McCain to give these Republicans some political cover. If you don’t do that, this whole bailout plan is going to fail. So that’s how, McCain, apparently, became involved.

He has gotten what he wants, he’s going to have this meeting, kind of a summit today with the president and Barack Obama. I’m told that the leaders of both parties are getting close to having some kind of a bill. The question, though, is whether rank-and-file Republicans, especially, are going to vote for this.

kido331
Sep 25, 2008, 01:32 PM

From Senator Harry Reid on Tuesday
We need, now, the Republicans to start producing some votes for us. We need the Republican nominee for president to let us know where he stands and what we should do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3f0BwyZKMw

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 02:02 PM

From Bob Schieffer on CBS News this morning.
So they needed political cover? So why did John McCain call for the suspension of his campaign? Why did he cancel on he claim he had to rush to washington, to instead sit in a chair getting makeup put on? Why couldn't Sarah Palin take over for him?
AXP
ΔΣΦ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2008, 02:04 PM

The bill has been approved. Johnny McCain has fixed the economy, and can now go and destroy B Hussein O in Mississippi. Everyone wins.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Indecision08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2008, 02:09 PM

From Senator Harry Reid on Tuesday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3f0BwyZKMw
He was asking him to go on the record in support of the bail out. He didn't need him in DC to do that. With all the position changes from McCain he merely wanted a fixed position so that the Republicans would know where their candidate was going to take them if elected. A couple of phone calls or e-mails combined with a press release and perhaps a speech from McCain would have done the trick.

The Democrats had already accumulated enough support on their side of the aisle. They had also been communicating with Obama and he had publicly stated his position. There was no need to guess where he stood. You presented this whole episode in a dishonest manner by the way you used "leadership" in the post I responded to.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2008, 02:24 PM

And McCain comes out of this looking horribly week. I know a few people that were on the fence about him until this. They still won't vote for Obama, but aren't voting for McCain either.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Indecision08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
The bill has been approved. Johnny McCain has fixed the economy, and can now go and destroy B Hussein O in Mississippi. Everyone wins.
That's it. His first "banking and housing" bill of this Congress and it saves the nation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules