Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [ANN] Sweet Slumber

[ANN] Sweet Slumber
phillryu
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 09:17 PM

Here's a treat for you trick-or-treaters! Sweet Slumber, the highly original work by Dan Goffin of IdleWare, has finally been released. Sweet Slumber won sixth place in the MacThemes.net Mockup Contest, and has been slowly transforming into a MacThemes Production over the last six months. The result is a fantastic Alice in Wonderland inspired package that includes desktops by ZachRL, David Lanham, Howard Sayles, Justin Pegram, and Duncan Millar, an icon set by Dan, and a cursor set by ZachRL. Joe Kohlmann worked with Dan to realize the mockup in ThemePark. Check it out in the Productions Site.

MacThemes.net Editor in Chief

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2004, 09:21 PM

this theme is wicked, my suggestion is to try it and give it a period of time to trial, after the initial shock you start to notice the beautiful details throughout the theme. The icon set is pure art, the theme is original and daring.

Congrats to Daniel, I know how much effort he put into this

edit: Oh, and let me be the first to say it looks just like AlumiteX!!1!
( Last edited by cube3; Oct 31, 2004 at 09:43 PM. )

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 09:36 PM

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 09:40 PM

Nice.

Found some missing resources though, and some hard to read text in Safari:
click one

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the find networkshadow. I'm sure Dan Goffin will get on this once he awakes from he well deserved slumber. I think he was up like two days straight working on this or something crazy.

ambush
Banned
Oct 31, 2004, 09:50 PM

Pretty much unusable but original & beautiful nonetheless!

Somehow reminds me of Castlevania graphics.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 09:55 PM

Np phillryu, someone was bound to see it before too long.

I'd kill for a blue or grey version.
Even though it's a bit too bright pink for me in a few places, I really love this theme.
click one

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2004, 10:02 PM

Is it supposed to do this in finder?

phillryu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 10:06 PM

That's a bug related to ShapeShifter. You'd have to talk to Jason about it.

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2004, 10:16 PM

Pretty sweet them overall. It seems to be a good start on what I've heard of everyone's complaints of os x themes. Great job

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2004, 10:30 PM

I love it! It's just what I expected plus a little bit more. Plus, it is quite unique. Now it's out I can finally sleep...
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

valdur
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2004, 10:33 PM

this theme rocks!...now..if i was only colorblind....

great job...

swiz
GUI Punk
Oct 31, 2004, 11:12 PM

OMFG!!!
I LOVE this theme.
Its so killer, I never even pl,anned on trying this theme but can honestly say Im speechless.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2004, 11:13 PM

hmmm.

Lots of neat and new things are done in this theme... but it ain't my cup of tea

-Owl

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by phillryu:
That's a bug related to ShapeShifter. You'd have to talk to Jason about it.
It's the small price we pay for columns background colors... It's not always there, but it's no big deal as I see it.
click one

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2004, 11:46 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
It's the small price we pay for columns background colors... It's not always there, but it's no big deal as I see it.

*shrug*

Kinda stinks though.

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 11:47 PM

Now for color variations...

AlbanianGenome
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 11:57 PM

finally a theme built for those drug users that do not want any usability in their user interface, hehe, just playing, quite a wild theme, going to give it a spin for a few days. Good work!

Fat7at
Nov 1, 2004, 12:40 AM

Awesome theme, never thought I would ever use such a wild theme but wow its just so cool. Anyways how would I extract the icons, some didn't get replaced so I want to do i manually.

RageAPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2004, 12:44 AM

What an amazing theme, the detail is absolutely unreal. I definitely second seeing some color variations on this theme. Something a little toned down and I'd definitely use this theme regularly.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 12:49 AM

There are aqua combo boxes. How could the author miss that?
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 01:14 AM

I have a request for the desktop pictures to be in a separate download, because my display isn't wide screen and some of the pictures get too distorted... (and I want to edit them to fit) guiKitty doen't seem to extract the desktops.
click one

Holigen
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 01:22 AM

Wow, this is awesome. Great job Daniel and Joe. Finally getting this out the door must feel great guys. Ill let you guys get back to some much needed sweet slumber (had to )

Its wacky!

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

BlueIce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2004, 01:27 AM

I want to second all the remarks made so far about how amazing this theme is. The detail is astonishing. True artistry. Usability is another question though. What makes it hard to use is that it is hard to find text colors that show up clearly. I do like the subdued feeling I get from looking at it

wigglywoo
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by RageAPC:
What an amazing theme, the detail is absolutely unreal. I definitely second seeing some color variations on this theme. Something a little toned down and I'd definitely use this theme regularly.
An exquisite theme, maybe a variation with the main color blue or green with silver elements instead of gold.

penguinn
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 02:30 AM

so much detail i love it!
great job
*DeXtop GUI

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 04:23 AM

Daniel is very pedantic about detail, which is a great thing I think when he wakes up from his "Sweet Slumber", he'll be busy working on various bits of the theme, patching missing graphics etc. I'm sure he can split out various parts of the theme for seperate download, like icons, desktops etc. I for one think that there is nothing quite like seeing a pixadex page of all his icons, they really are something to behold

idle
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 05:05 AM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
lol. Dunno, must have been me not getting enough sleep. Will hurry to change that as soon as i can.

On the topic of desktop pictures there are some that haven't been released since it wouldn't have made much sense to include them with ShapeShifter and there some tiled desktop patterns that i have made which are not included aswell.

Stay tuned, i will post these later. Cheerz and thankx for all the nice comments.

AlbanianGenome
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 05:11 AM

an icontainer containing these amazing icons would be awesome! since candybar and SS have some issues it would be nice to do these manually through candybar for me at least. Great work once again.

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 06:08 AM

Probably because they have people on their backs constantly moaning, bitching and pushing them to release, instead of being patient and waiting till they're done

WICKEDfour
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 10:50 AM

Hi everyone...Here's the deal on Sweet Slumber, which Phill, for professional purposes, withheld from you guys (nothing bad bad, but I figured you guys should know).

Yes, I did kind of have to shove Sweet Slumber out the door since I myself had to be out the door last night for something important. If I hadn't gotten it to Phill, it would've been released at like 11 PM CST.

Thus, there were some missing elements...Vertical segment tabs, some combo box things, small popup buttons...These will be in there in the next release, which should come very soon. Nevertheless, these omissions really bothered me since, first off, I had to release the theme after Daniel finally went to bed after being awake for about 32 hours, and since I couldn't really design any more elements because Daniel's work is simply so unique. Between blowing the release because of a few missed elements (really, a few, in the context of the entire theme) and making the release date and delivering to everyone who was anxiously anticipating Sweet Slumber, I chose the latter scenario. To reiterate, those missing elements will be added in the next release.

That said, I have nothing but praise for Daniel Goffin for his tireless work on this theme, truly the most unique theme I've ever seen. I was honored to assemble it, and I suppose that I then should get some credit (before I forget, big thanks to cube3, who got the scroll bars and arrows in there for me ). Regardless, all the praise is going to Daniel, exactly as it should be.

In closing, I hope I didn't mess up too bad here ... All I ask is that you ignore my mistakes for now and enjoy one heck of a theme.

Themer | Metroid 2002 Supporter | Switchboard Operator | A Special K | Professional Lurker

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 11:13 AM

No need to thank me mate, my contribution was tiny, it was you and Dan who did the hard stuff From my side, it's pretty hard tryng to replicate Dan's style, practically impossible, so I understand exactly where you're coming from. Anyway, theme is out the door, sans a few elements, nothing major, and it's contentious, hot and who could forget PINK!. *hehehehe*

At least you guys can chill a bit I was privy to the stress

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 11:18 AM

The most creative theme I have ever seen. Simply beautiful theme, the attention to detail is unreal!

The iTunes skin sets a new standard.

I can't praise this theme enough, such artistic talent.................

AlbanianGenome
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by .saNNic.:
The most creative theme I have ever seen. Simply beautiful theme, the attention to detail is unreal!

The iTunes skin sets a new standard.

I can't praise this theme enough, such artistic talent.................
couldn't agree with you more. Can't wait for the updated release.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 12:43 PM

I swear it wasn't me that pushed it out the door.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 01:18 PM

I swear it wasn't me that pushed it out the door.
take a look in the xmetal comments on macthemes

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 05:06 PM

what a crazy theme!!

very nice work.

i can't wait to use this... as soon as i'm done with Somantic.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2004, 05:21 PM

this has lived up to my initial expectations - Ferocious hideous genius!

I know I won't get a lot of production out of this one - but for home use... there might not be another - for a little while.

So much detail, it makes me tempted to change the resolution of the screen to see some more of it. The icon set and desktops are great - the thorned network drives are hilarious.

thx guys for all the hard work.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2004, 08:15 PM

If you don't wanna see the big white block where the icon info is... you can turn off previews in column view options. Then you will never see white again... except anywhere that is white.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2004, 08:17 PM

This theme kinda reminds me of Alice for some reason... Dunno why

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by TheSpaz:
If you don't wanna see the big white block where the icon info is... you can turn off previews in column view options. Then you will never see white again... except anywhere that is white.
That's.. not a fix.

Forum Links
Forum Rules