Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > General Design Questions (quark/printing)

General Design Questions (quark/printing)
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2005, 01:59 PM

I have a few questions that I would like to ask people more knowledgable than I. Knowledgable designers or printers. I'll start with this one and post more later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION #1:

I want to make a "fake" tan monotone image for a 4 cp poster. Is it better to create the monotone in photoshop (grayscale -> monotone [tan] color -> cmyk) -OR- just set the color [cmyk] in Quark and apply it to the grayscale image?

My designer just places the grayscale image and selects a PMS color (and sends to the printer)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2005, 02:04 PM

QUESTION #2:

I've always understood that 300dpi was the ideal resolution but have come to understand that sometimes higher is better. What >> IS << the ideal resolution for graphics?
QUESTION #3:

When I place graphics in a design (for rough layout) I'll scale all over the place (30%, 200% ect. etc.) but then it comes down to final layout... I always make sure it is 100% (plus or minus 10%) Is this "best practice" or can you leave graphics at 50% or 20% without trouble?

micahgartman
Jul 14, 2005, 03:57 PM

1: By all means, use QuarkXpress to create your monotones and duotones. They'll RIP just fine!

2: The dpi is dictated by the line screen at which you are printing. The basic rule of thumb is to double the line screen to determine the optimum resolution for your images. Example: 150 line screen = 300 dpi. Personally, I set up all my images at 400dpi.

3: As long as you aren't scaling the images above 100%, you'll be just fine.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2005, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by micahgartman
2: The dpi is dictated by the line screen at which you are printing. The basic rule of thumb is to double the line screen to determine the optimum resolution for your images. Example: 150 line screen = 300 dpi. Personally, I set up all my images at 400dpi.
I NEVER understood this. I know that you roughly double the line screen for the DPI, but who gives you a line screen.

I'm assuming the printer? But what if you don't know who the printer will be?

micahgartman
Jul 14, 2005, 04:22 PM

Most commercial (read offset) printers print between 150 to 200 lines per inch. When you give them your artwork, just ask your CSR what they recommend, based upon the content you're printing.

Personally, I always specify 175 lpi or higher. Anything over 250 lpi tends to 'highlight' any imperfections in your images...

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by micahgartman
Most commercial (read offset) printers print between 150 to 200 lines per inch. When you give them your artwork, just ask your CSR what they recommend, based upon the content you're printing.

Personally, I always specify 175 lpi or higher. Anything over 250 lpi tends to 'highlight' any imperfections in your images...
Great tip! Thanks.

I also coordinate designers. Should I be telling them to place everything at 350 dpi to reach a 175 line screen?

micahgartman
Jul 15, 2005, 08:57 AM

Coordinating designers? That's kinda like herding cats, isnt' it?

And yes, I would have them building everything at 350 dpi, if not 400.

Forum Links
Forum Rules