Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Yet another MacBook Heat question

Yet another MacBook Heat question
masugu
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 04:40 PM

OK

I don't think I have ever heard my MB fan. As my book gets toasty on my bare lap, I downloaded the istat applet. The Fan and temp section stay blank. No readout.

I have heard core duo temp only measures the CPU... any way to do a system check with the OS or??
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 06:06 PM

As far as I know, the only temps you can get off of Intel Macs are the hard drive temp and (if you install Core Duo) the CPU temp.

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
OK

I don't think I have ever heard my MB fan. As my book gets toasty on my bare lap, I downloaded the istat applet. The Fan and temp section stay blank. No readout.

I have heard core duo temp only measures the CPU... any way to do a system check with the OS or??
To test it out, first get a program that reports temperatures such as CoreDuo Temp

Then open up a couple of terminal windows and type yes > /dev/null in both of them.
That will kick up your cpu utilization to 100% which in turn will drive up the temps.

You should start hearing the fans come on in the 70c - 78c and really ramp up when the temps are in the 80c range.

If not and your temps are heading into the 90s then you do have a problem but I suspect you don't have any issues

Ruddigger
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 08:16 PM

Do you need to reset the CPU's back to normal somehow afterwards?
Proud owner of the Original Macintruck

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 08:53 PM

Nope, the application reports the temps all yes does it send y out forever and your sending that to the null device so its just sucking up cpu cycles sending y to a black hole.

Once your satisifed, just close the terminal window.

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 09:14 PM

Anyone try the istat widget? I am the only one getting no reading for heat and fans???
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 09:24 PM

Try coreDuo Temp many of the temp programs have not been updated to read the MB's sensor.

Hardware Monitor I believe has also been updated so that should work to report the cpu temps.

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 09:25 PM

I don't think I have ever heard my MB fan.
The MB fan doesn't go on until you start pushing the CPU quite a bit. During normal use, it'll stay off. Even during relatively heavy use, it'll stay off. However, during really heavy use, the fan blows some serious air. I played a WMV today using the Flip4Mac plugin, and since Quicktime was being run through Rosetta, the CPUs were pegged. After a few minutes, the thing sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 09:46 PM

Anyone try the istat widget? I am the only one getting no reading for heat and fans???
IIRC, you have to install the CoreDuo app first. It installs some kernel things that it (and others like iStat) need in order to be able to read the temp.

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 16, 2006, 01:01 AM

Hey aristobrat, I was having similar problems like masugu. I have CoreDuotemp installed and working. iStat isn't displaying the temps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules