Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > My Iphone Disaster.

My Iphone Disaster.
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2008, 02:25 PM

Its a disaster because I really love the concept of having my phone and media player as one--and the iphone does this better than any other device out there. However, my 3G service in NYC has not worked since I originally bought it three weeks ago. Since I live in an advertised 3G area and possess a 3G device I feel like I should be able to connect at least 50% of the time to the fast internet I see Apple advertise every night.

I've gone to the Apple store (since many say its the hardware) and Apple has replaced my phone but this didn't work. I've gone to AT&T(since many say its the network) and they say they can't do anything.

My return date is fast approaching and I don't know what the next step should be. I do have another appointment with a genius this weekend but I need to make a decision this weekend about whether to return it or not--or be potentially stuck with a 3G iphone and paying on a data plan I can't use for two years.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 02:59 PM

Does EDGE work ?
Does WiFi work ?

Do any of the iPhones in the Apple Store get 3G reception ?

-t

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2008, 03:37 PM

Well,

Edge works for phone calls but not internet access. The pages time out.
Wifi yes, but when I'm in Wifi range I use my computer anyway.

The Apple store that I went to was underground, so I'm not sure about 3G reception on of the other display models. They were all on wifi. What difference would it make if the Apple store iphones were working on 3G or not?

Apple is being secretive on its upcoming software release and what it may or may not fix so I may have no choice but to return it. As pretty as it is, what is the rationale of keeping something that does not fully work--especially if a contract is going to chomp down on you?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 04:24 PM

You're right, Zeeb. There's no reason to keep it under those circumstances.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 04:28 PM

What you describe sounds really odd. What are the chances that you got two iPhone lemons in a row ?

-t

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2008, 04:40 PM

Well, maybe they'll give me a third or get this one to work. If I have to end up taking it back it will be hard. It's like my child or something.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Well, maybe they'll give me a third or get this one to work. If I have to end up taking it back it will be hard. It's like my child or something.
What ? You never returned a child ?

Sometimes that's the only way you can teach 'em a lesson

-t

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2008, 05:18 PM

check your sim card with at&t. Not all sim cards are 3G capable, particularly if it's an older sim transplanted from a previous mobile if you were keeping your old cell number.

internet stalling over edge could just be crappy edge network.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2008, 06:13 PM

Per the ATT spokescritter, the 2.0.2 update should fix some of the 3G connectivity issues (particularly in crowded areas), but you have to depend on the other iPhone 3G users upgrading to 2.0.2 before the network becomes more usable. I'd return it during the return period and try again in a few months.

Forum Links
Forum Rules