Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nebraska's Safe Haven Law

Nebraska's Safe Haven Law
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2008, 12:56 PM

I think its a great idea. I know it was intended to protect newborns from parent's who, feeling overwhelmed and a bit insane, might end up killing the infant. However, much older children are also being dropped off. I can't imagine how traumatic that would be for the child. Still, isn't it that better than being stuck with parents that don't want you or might harm you if they didn't have this opportunity? The downside I suppose is that parents might start viewing raising children similar to getting a pet. If you can't take care of it anymore, no big deal--just drop it off.

http://www.ketv.com/cnn-news/17804633/detail.html

finboy
Oct 27, 2008, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I think its a great idea. I know it was intended to protect newborns from parent's who, feeling overwhelmed and a bit insane, might end up killing the infant. However, much older children are also being dropped off. I can't imagine how traumatic that would be for the child. Still, isn't it that better than being stuck with parents that don't want you or might harm you if they didn't have this opportunity? The downside I suppose is that parents might start viewing raising children similar to getting a pet. If you can't take care of it anymore, no big deal--just drop it off.

http://www.ketv.com/cnn-news/17804633/detail.html
My God that's horrible. Dropping off a 12-year-old? Won't that pretty much damage the child forever? How barbaric can you get?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2008, 06:29 PM

Only in... you know the drill.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 27, 2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
parent's
*cough*

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2008, 12:17 PM

I think that what is legal in Nebraska is not legal in other states. Georgia should be arresting that parent for breaking Georgia law: abondoning a child.

Just because she didn't do it in Georgia doesn't mean they can't prosecure her.

Or does it? Any lawyers here? Lawyer's?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2008, 07:05 PM

Nebraska legislature is going into special session to change the law to three days old and under. One man brought many kids in at once ranging from 17 down. This law was a travesty that has people flocking in from across the country to abandon their children.
ebuddy

Cipher13
Oct 29, 2008, 09:08 PM

You have to wonder, though, if it's really appropriate to simply decrease the age limit.

If these parents are so eager to get rid of their children, perhaps the children are better off without them, despite their age.

What a messed up situation.

Forum Links
Forum Rules