Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > And the Race to the Center starts....

And the Race to the Center starts....
Dork.
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2012, 06:13 AM

There's still two months left before the election, and Romney is already starting to tack Left....

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-09-09/romney-says-he-likes-parts-of-obamacare

Don't get me wrong: I think this is a very good thing. It shows that Romney has a very pragmatic side, and as President may just come up with compromises that give up a little bit from his side in order to benefit the rest of the country.

His statement simply makes sense: for all the frothing on the Right about Obamacare, there are things about it that the public genuinely likes. They are generally things that Romney did in Massachusetts, although with important differences in the details. If Romney has said these things during the Primaries, he would have been thrown off the campaign bus faster than you could say "Jon Huntsman". But now that he's secured the nomination (and somehow kept Ron Paul from going independent), he can say these things and all he has to do is not go so far toward the Center that his base would rather stay home than vote for him.

Look for Obama to pull to the Center, too, although I think it will be less obvious, because he got the nomination by default, and didn't have to tack Left for any primaries, so he has a shorter path back to the Center for the general election.

I would like to humbly propose keeping this thread to make note of things that both candidates are saying specifically to engage centrists and the six voters left in the country who are undecided, and that they would never had said at the party conventions....

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2012, 10:21 AM

It strikes me that with the Democrats' saw being he's a flip-flopper, moving to the center is going to cause more damage than it normally would.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2012, 03:31 AM

I don't know that I'd necessarily consider this a "move to the center". He's always framed ACA as repeal and replace and of course replace would include some of the popular measures recognized as problematic well before ACA was signed into law. I guess I'll give you the acceptance of children remaining on their parents' coverage to 26 yrs old as somewhat of a moderation in stance, but that's only because of how other Republicans have framed this piece. It's not among the more contentious and the least contentious of all appear to be what Romney is supporting. He's also saying to "make health care more available for those with pre-existing conditions", but that could just as easily be a foreshadowing of some bold market solutions to this issue such as opening the market on a national level without creating new bureaucracy to administer the issue.
ebuddy

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2012, 05:06 AM

And, he's already flipped back: http://www.salon.com/2012/09/10/romneys_latest_flip_flop_flip/singleton/

Yep, this is definitely a guy who can stare down the enemies of the USA with determination.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2012, 05:47 AM

Maybe he has a twin brother we don't know about?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I don't know that I'd necessarily consider this a "move to the center". He's always framed ACA as repeal and replace
Fact Check: TRUE

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/23/news/la-pn-romney-healthcare-anniversary-20120323

Article from back in March where Romney mentions "repeal and replace".

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2012, 06:49 PM

I don't see Obama moving to the center.
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2012, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post

I don't see Obama moving to the center.
What do you consider the center? I think you probably need some calibration.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What do you consider the center? I think you probably need some calibration.
Can you give an example of Obama moderating any of his positions?
45/47

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 11:46 AM

Can you give an example of Obama moderating any of his positions?
Easy, ObamaCare.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2012, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Easy, ObamaCare.
Violating the 1st amendment rights of millions of Americans is a moderate position?
45/47

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2012, 01:13 PM

Violating the 1st amendment rights of millions of Americans is a moderate position?
GWB did it. Oh wait...

Most states are going to ignore the individual mandate, mine included, making it worthless.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2012, 02:14 PM

Not the Individual mandate, the HHS mandate. The owner of Hobby Lobby stands to get fined $1.3 million a day. The fine is $100 a day per employee.
45/47

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2012, 03:28 AM

Told ya so.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-10/romney-risks-base-with-an-appeal-to-center-on-abortion.html

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20121009/ARTICLES/121009537

It's no real secret. If Romney is going to pull this off, he has to pick off centrist Obama voters who voted for him last time around. He can't do that and campaign as far Right as he did in the Primary.

As I said earlier in the thread, Obama doesn't have as far to move to get to the center because he didn't have a primary season where he needed to tack left to begin with.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2012, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Told ya so.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-10/romney-risks-base-with-an-appeal-to-center-on-abortion.html
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20121009/ARTICLES/121009537
It's no real secret. If Romney is going to pull this off, he has to pick off centrist Obama voters who voted for him last time around. He can't do that and campaign as far Right as he did in the Primary.
As I said earlier in the thread, Obama doesn't have as far to move to get to the center because he didn't have a primary season where he needed to tack left to begin with.
I disagree with this premise. First, the top article you pasted is trying to paint Romney as moving left by citing Ryan's position which I'm sure you could agree is dubious. Lest we forget that Biden and Obama differed on one of the most hotly debated subjects of the 2008 election; Iraq.

I think what Romney is carefully referring to is an attempt to overturn Roe V Wade. There's little doubt in my mind that pro-life will be a litmus of his judicial appointments and after his comments regarding PBS, I also have little doubt that he'd support a defunding or in the least, decreased funding for Planned Parenthood.

Again, this is an election between "don't raise any taxes when the economy's hurting" - Obama (or... I'm anti-gay marriage now pro-gay marriage Obama or any of the other noteworthy flops of his service as POTUS) and "There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda” - Romney. All he's really saying is that Ryan's bill would not pass and there's no reason to risk votes over a plan that would likely not pass. I think he's more shrewd than this and is no more guilty of pandering than the man he's running against.
ebuddy

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I disagree with this premise. First, the top article you pasted is trying to paint Romney as moving left by citing Ryan's position which I'm sure you could agree is dubious. Lest we forget that Biden and Obama differed on one of the most hotly debated subjects of the 2008 election; Iraq.
I think what Romney is carefully referring to is an attempt to overturn Roe V Wade. There's little doubt in my mind that pro-life will be a litmus of his judicial appointments and after his comments regarding PBS, I also have little doubt that he'd support a defunding or in the least, decreased funding for Planned Parenthood.
Again, this is an election between "don't raise any taxes when the economy's hurting" - Obama (or... I'm anti-gay marriage now pro-gay marriage Obama or any of the other noteworthy flops of his service as POTUS) and "There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda” - Romney. All he's really saying is that Ryan's bill would not pass and there's no reason to risk votes over a plan that would likely not pass. I think he's more shrewd than this and is no more guilty of pandering than the man he's running against.
Meanwhile, Obama double downs on his support for Planned Parenthood and the HHS mandate.
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules