Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Router & DNS Settings

Airport Router & DNS Settings
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2015, 06:57 AM

I'd like to verify that the DNS settings you enter into your Airport router's Internet tab, become what your router uses across the network? I was having issues with my ISP's DNS, so I switched to google DNS in my router. My computers still had my router's IP as their DNS server. So in this setup, I was assuming the router would be acting as a DNS relay. However I was still having DNS problems on my primary computer. Things generally worked, but some random host names would come and go. Classic DNS issue. So I manually changed the DNS on this computer from my router's IP (what it gets automatically over DHCP) to google DNS's IPs, and my problems instantly went away.

Does anyone know how Airport routers are supposed to deal with DNS? I'm not entirely sure what's happening with this thing.

ibook_steve
Feb 6, 2015, 02:47 AM

If you're using DHCP, your computer should have picked up the DNS settings that the router is using. It's strange that it did not. I'm not at home so I can't check myself, but check your DHCP settings in Airport Utility. I don't remember if passing the DNS info to a connected computer is an option there.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2015, 02:48 AM

The settings above are the only DNS related settings in all of Airport Utility.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 10, 2015, 10:03 AM

On your networked computers, make sure they're set to use the "gateway" as DNS, and that will cause the clients to use the DNS settings in the router.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules