Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Using external monitor with BlacBook...

Using external monitor with BlacBook...
masugu
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 07:25 AM

Yup. The black on black looks very cool. Too bad the cords are white. AAAAAAGH! ;-)
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 07:26 AM

Yup...black on black is pretty sweet. Too bad the cords are WHITE. AAAARGH

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 09:25 AM

OK...I must be missing something simple.

Have my BlacBook hooked up to my Dell widescreen LCD. Cannot seem to get the monitor to work - w/out having the laptop open. Been hitting Command F7 etc.... How do I keep the external display on....

Oh. Also cannot seem to get the highest screen res 1600 X 1050....Looks a tad lower.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2006, 09:29 AM

I believe that's correct, Apple does not allow you to use an external display with a closed MacBook. You would need to upgrade to a MacBook Pro if you'd like to use an external display with the laptop closed.

Which Dell screen do you have? The 20" is 1680x1050 and the 24" is 1920x1200.

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 09:34 AM

I have the Dell 20" widescreen - yes...1680 X 1050. My mistake.

You are kiding me - yes> My Apple cinema display 20" shoudl work - right?

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 10:10 AM

You can certainly use the Macbook in headless mode. From Apple: "The video output port allows video mirroring, which allows you to see the same image on your MacBook display and on an external monitor, television, or projector. It also allows extended desktop, in which the second display gives you additional desktop real estate. You can use your MacBook in lid closed mode if the computer is connected to an external display, keyboard, and mouse."

And this document explains how: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286 (they haven't update it for Macbooks, but it applies, the same article about bluetooth keyboards for Macbooks links to it).

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain
You can certainly use the Macbook in headless mode. From Apple: "The video output port allows video mirroring, which allows you to see the same image on your MacBook display and on an external monitor, television, or projector. It also allows extended desktop, in which the second display gives you additional desktop real estate. You can use your MacBook in lid closed mode if the computer is connected to an external display, keyboard, and mouse."

And this document explains how: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86286 (they haven't update it for Macbooks, but it applies, the same article about bluetooth keyboards for Macbooks links to it).

SWEET...these instructions workd on my Cinema Display. Just worked on my Dell as well. Guess the trick was having hte monotior off....then waking via the ext keybd / mouse.

Thanks!!!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
Apple does not allow you to use an external display with a closed MacBook. You would need to upgrade to a MacBook Pro if you'd like to use an external display with the laptop closed.
As monkeybrain said, this is incorrect, the whole MacBook family can run in headless mode.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

masugu  (op)
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 11:50 AM

Yup...working nicely now. Just wish Apple would develope a port replicator device for MacBook / side port situation. Fiddling with the cables to dock is a PAIN.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2006, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain

Huh, is that new, along with the ability to span?
IIRC the iBooks couldn't run closed.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Huh, is that new, along with the ability to span?
IIRC the iBooks couldn't run closed.
Yeh, its new, the MBs added the ability that the PowerBooks had for ages...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2006, 03:48 PM

Once again blurring the line between MB and MBP...

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2006, 04:57 PM

I run my BlackBook with the mini-DVI to DVI adapter, a Sony SDM-HS95P (also black which matches the MB nicely), an Apple Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Sweetness!

Forum Links
Forum Rules