Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Uncontacted Tribe Sighted

Uncontacted Tribe Sighted
Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 07:58 AM

I had no idea there were still tribes out there that have never made contact with the outside world. I knew of course that people live in tribes, but I thought National Geographic tracked them all down by now. I suppose a plane flying over head might count as contact for this particular tribe.

It's interesting how their structures actually look like it blends into the forest. Kinda cool.

'Uncontacted tribe' sighted in Amazon - CNN.com

design219
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 08:33 AM

I remember discussion about these kinds of finds in the 70s. What was described as a "stone age" tribe was discovered somewhere in the South Pacific. At the time, many people were saying how they should be left alone and not contaminated with modern culture. That any contact would ruin their culture.

Thinking about it now, that seems arrogant in the extreme. Who are we to say these people should not be exposed to modern advancements and other societies? How can we know what is best for them? They are not zoo specimens.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 09:00 AM

Dad?!?!?!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 09:01 AM

I think we should air drop cases of orange soda to them. Just to see if the movie holds true.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 09:13 AM

They look like they had too much Sunny D already.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I remember discussion about these kinds of finds in the 70s. What was described as a "stone age" tribe was discovered somewhere in the South Pacific. At the time, many people were saying how they should be left alone and not contaminated with modern culture. That any contact would ruin their culture.

Thinking about it now, that seems arrogant in the extreme. Who are we to say these people should not be exposed to modern advancements and other societies? How can we know what is best for them? They are not zoo specimens.
If they decided to leave their village and deliberately try to make contact I would agree with you. However, the pictures show them pointing their spears at the aircraft. I would say they don't want to be disturbed. I think it would be arrogant to land a helicopter and just assume they want to have contact or that it would naturally be good for them.

Besides, they're probably more healthy and happy than the average modern person. When our society is destroyed in a nuclear holocaust perhaps they will rise up and provide a new government.

Tiresias
May 30, 2008, 09:40 AM

Thinking about it now, that seems arrogant in the extreme. Who are we to say these people should not be exposed to modern advancements and other societies?
I agree. I won't be able to sleep at night until their children are playing Doom in military fatigues and wolfing down Cheetos.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I think we should air drop cases of orange soda to them. Just to see if the movie holds true.
LOL. Good one.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

design219
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I agree. I won't be able to sleep at night until their children are playing Doom in military fatigues and wolfing down Cheetos.
I'm not saying we go in and modernize them, but who are we to say they can't handle knowing about us?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

zro
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 10:25 AM

Egads, pic 5 is just plain scary.

You know, d219, some of these tribes will kill outsiders. I think what the anthropologists are really saying is, "**** going in there! I'm not gonna take a spear to the face just for giving some primitive a friggin' bag o' Cheetos. These guys are frightening. Just look at this fifth picture."

Spliff
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 11:22 AM

Is this true? More than 100 uncontacted tribes? Hard to believe. WTF have anthropologists been doing all this time? Enjoying their comfy tenured jobs, I guess.

More than 100 uncontacted tribes remain worldwide, and about half live in the remote reaches of the Amazonian rainforest in Peru or Brazil, near the recently photographed tribe, according to Survival International, a nonprofit group that advocates for the rights of indigenous people.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 11:36 AM

I dunno, looks like Fruit of the Loom made it out there.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Spliff View Post
Is this true? More than 100 uncontacted tribes? Hard to believe. WTF have anthropologists been doing all this time? Enjoying their comfy tenured jobs, I guess.
I would imagine they're studying how the tribes interact and work. It's a glimpse we won't ever get again of human nature at its most basic form.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 11:54 AM

I'm not saying we go in and modernize them, but who are we to say they can't handle knowing about us?
Have you ever heard of a case of 'discovery' of one of these groups that didn't end up with the complete destruction of their way of life? More usually it results in the death of most of them and their land being stolen.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
My first thought was an empty coke bottle.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 11:56 AM

"The photos released Thursday show men who look strong and healthy, the Brazilian government said."

I dunno they looked sorta, red, orange and black to me.

( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; May 30, 2008 at 12:02 PM. )

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
they looked sorta, red, orange and black to me.
It's so you can differentiate who works in the science/medical, engineering/security, and command.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
It's so you can differentiate who works in the science/medical, engineering/security, and command.
Judging by the quality of those huts the science department took some time off.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
It's a glimpse we won't ever get again of human nature at its most basic form.
What makes you think this is 'human nature at its most basic form'? What we know about this group is that it lacks technology - we don't know anything about their social structure or have any reason to think that there is anything 'basic' about their behavior.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 12:08 PM

Owing to their extreme provinciality, these tribesmen probably hold and express views that we would find sexist, homophobic, racist, and bellicose. Not to mention, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they are sleeping with underage girls in their tribe. Therefore it is my view that this tribe be dispersed, charged, and incarcerated, while their land is put to some sensible economic use.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 12:16 PM

Seems like orangie does all the grunt work.

Railroader
Banned
May 30, 2008, 12:39 PM

Looks like they are a long way off from the First Contact

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
Owing to their extreme provinciality, these tribesmen probably hold and express views that we would find sexist, homophobic, racist, and bellicose. Not to mention, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they are sleeping with underage girls in their tribe. Therefore it is my view that this tribe be dispersed, charged, and incarcerated, while their land is put to some sensible economic use.
All bow before Kerrigan, decider of right and wrong for all mankind.

Also, the girls can't be underage if the tribe doesn't have a law about the minimum age. Perhaps they go by nature's hint when it puts grass on the field.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I think you've just stumbled on Kerrigan's point.
Unwittingly.

Edit: Hello first time travel of the day.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post

Also, the girls can't be underage if the tribe doesn't have a law about the minimum age. Perhaps they go by nature's hint when it puts grass on the field.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post

-t

design219
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Have you ever heard of a case of 'discovery' of one of these groups that didn't end up with the complete destruction of their way of life? More usually it results in the death of most of them and their land being stolen.
All of us have a prehistoric background. To say "look at the fascinating primitives, we must not interfere with their precious way of life" is just arrogant. They are adults. Who are we to isolate and protect them like some kind of wildlife preserve? Why should they not have access to the great advancements mankind has made, if they want it.

The idea of "protecting their way of life" may be well meaning, but it will not last, nor should it. It's like saying we should not teach our children so they will remain innocent all their lives, and we can appreciate their cuteness.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2008, 01:34 PM

Who are we to butt in and shove on them a bunch of "great" "advancements"
I agree.

Rather, give them the crap that we have no use for, but charge them an arm and a leg for it

-t

Edit: Woot! Post from the future.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2008, 01:35 PM

Who are we to butt in and shove on them a bunch of "great" "advancements" that there's no possible way they can understand? It's not that I particularly appreciate their way of life, but obviously they do. It seems to me that introducing people to too much too fast is irresponsible and more than most adults (in any culture) can reasonably handle.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 01:48 PM

Don't know him well enough to know.

design219
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 02:18 PM

Who are we to butt in and shove on them a bunch of "great" "advancements" that there's no possible way they can understand?
Jeez, people, I didn't say shove advanced crap on them. But to isolate and preserve them like an endangered species is just as wrong.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 02:22 PM

All of us have a prehistoric background. To say "look at the fascinating primitives, we must not interfere with their precious way of life" is just arrogant. They are adults. Who are we to isolate and protect them like some kind of wildlife preserve? Why should they not have access to the great advancements mankind has made, if they want it.

The idea of "protecting their way of life" may be well meaning, but it will not last, nor should it. It's like saying we should not teach our children so they will remain innocent all their lives, and we can appreciate their cuteness.
If they wanted contact don't you think they would have walked out of the woods a long time ago? You're assuming their way of life is inferior to our way of life which in itself is arrogant. Besides, this is the middle of Brazil we're talking about. If they started lusting after cell phones and big screen TV's they'd be about as successful as the other poor people in Brazil without job skills.

If they want to cash in, they should simply charge wide-eyed outsiders and scientists money to take pictures and/or "escape" from modern society.

PaperNotes
May 30, 2008, 02:25 PM

I would pay to see Rambo blow them up with a grenade arrow! BABAAAANG followed by multi colored barbarians flying through the air!

design219
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
You're assuming their way of life is inferior to our way of life which in itself is arrogant.
I'm not assuming that at all.

Many cultures continue on in their traditional ways, well aware of the advancements in the world...by their choice, not because outsiders kept them isolated and ignorant. It's the anthropologist way of thinking of them as inferior that I object to..."let's study them, but not interfere." Again, I'm NOT advocating bringing them up to speed overnight, but making contact and letting them know the rest of the world exists. That is what mankind has always done. Sometimes it doesn't turn out well, but it will always happen.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I would imagine they're studying how the tribes interact and work. It's a glimpse we won't ever get again of human nature at its most basic form.

Not been to a WalMart lately, huh?

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 30, 2008, 02:35 PM

The *black* chic in pic four has some nice knockers.

Railroader
Banned
May 30, 2008, 02:35 PM

If they want to cash in, they should simply charge wide-eyed outsiders and scientists money to take pictures and/or "escape" from modern society.
This, in my opinion, is probably one of the better ideas.

Approach them, ask where they think their land borders are, create a "treaty" with them, and allow them to govern that land. If they want to prohibit tourists/immigration, let em. If they want to sell and open to touristy-types, let em.

If more advanced space aliens came and visited, would you want them deciding our fate?

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
May 30, 2008, 04:18 PM

Jeez, people, I didn't say shove advanced crap on them. But to isolate and preserve them like an endangered species is just as wrong.
The biggest problem that is encountered when exposing groups like this to the rest of the world, is their immune systems have not evolved to fight off many diseases that are carried around today. In many cases, exposing them means a quick death.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 07:24 PM

I like that you completely sidestepped the question. Can you think of an example of contact like this that has not lead to decimation and theft of their land.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 30, 2008, 07:41 PM

Pondering the Prime Directive on our own planet....

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

design219
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 08:43 PM

I like that you completely sidestepped the question. Can you think of an example of contact like this that has not lead to decimation and theft of their land.
As I said earlier, there are many indigenous peoples living their traditional lifestyles in all parts of the world, on every continent (except Antarctica). It's true that many primitive societies have been displaced by more advance, but obviously that is not always true.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 08:48 PM

How about some examples of contacts of tribes this size.

Visnaut
Senior User
May 30, 2008, 09:43 PM

Owing to their extreme provinciality, these tribesmen probably hold and express views that we would find sexist, homophobic, racist, and bellicose. <snip> Therefore it is my view that this tribe be dispersed, charged, and incarcerated, while their land is put to some sensible economic use.
Ah, good to see the spirit of the colonial Western world is alive and well, still in this day and age. Just barge in and use our moral compass to hand down judgement on those who know no better, merely as a 'civilized' way of stealing land. Brilliant!

While all your preconceived notions about these people may hold true, they only do so when compared to us. Our morals, which are an inexorable part of large social groups, are mutually incompatible with a hunter-gatherer society, such as this tribe in question. When you have to expend a large part of your energy hunting or competing for game, you tend not to worry about much else other than eat, or be eaten, killed, go hungry, etc.

These people, however, have been out there roughing it on their own for generations, surviving without the luxury of abundance, which we enjoy, and would allow them to form into larger farming-based societies which you would find more palatable to your socio-economic sensibilities.

And speaking of which, whatever sensible economic use you have in mind for the minute area of land they occupy, would involve the razing and destruction of the rain forest. Are you going to champion that too, now?

Not to mention, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that they are sleeping with underage girls in their tribe.
While the physical age of those girls are the same as our "kids", you have to take into consideration their relative age. These people have very short life expectancy. I'd be surprised if they had tribe members above the age of 40. Being in your 30s would classify you as an elder. So how can you blame them for naturally wanting to have children as early as possible? If people waited until they were almost dead to have kids, there'd be no one around to raise them.

It's only very recently in our natural history that we've begun postponing the socially-accepted age at which to bear children; and this only came about because of increased life expectancy, made possible by improvements in nutrition, which in turn were only enabled by improvements in mass production and transportation. So to condemn these people would be to condemn our entire collective ancestry.
( Last edited by Visnaut; May 30, 2008 at 09:51 PM. )

design219
Professional Poster
May 30, 2008, 09:59 PM

How about some examples of contacts of tribes this size.
I'm not an expert in this field, just have an opinion.

Visnaut
Senior User
May 30, 2008, 10:06 PM

However, the pictures show them pointing their spears at the aircraft. I would say they don't want to be disturbed.
I would say it's the first time they've ever seen a low-flying aircraft, a loud, foreign entity to them, and were probably scared shitless. And when you're in that situation, it's fight or flight mode. Guess which one they picked?

I think their primary concern at that moment was their safety; not whether they wished to be contacted in general.

Originally Posted by zro View Post
You know, d219, some of these tribes will kill outsiders.
Probably a large contributing factor why these tribes remain uncontacted. By developing this social trait, evolution has "protected" their way of life.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2008, 10:23 PM

Has anyone figured out why they're orange? Have they employed levels of ingenuity not seen since Gilligan's Island to create a spray-on tanning facility in the middle of the jungle?

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2008, 10:06 AM

Clearly we need to start a not-for-profit organization- I'd call it MacNNer's For Savages (MNNFS). We'll start air dropping MacBooks to all these uncontacted people who out of no fault of their own have suffered through life without knowing that which is the Mac.

We may have to ease them into it with old powerbooks that run OS 8 or 9, then transition them to OS X and finally Intel macs (jumping directly to OS X may be too much).

"MNNFS- macifying the world, one savage at a time!"

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 31, 2008, 10:19 AM

The Wapuni Wus are NOT amused.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2008, 10:50 AM

Well, seems these folks were not so unknown. I don't know if the ends justify the deception, but the guy who photographed them seems to think so.

Secret of the 'lost' Amazon tribe that wasn't | World news | The Observer

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2008, 10:54 AM

Funny that the same news sites that posted this originally are slow to post the updated news
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules