Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Legalizing Pot

Legalizing Pot
Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 01:26 PM

A new proposal introduced by Barney Frank will seek to decriminalize the use of marijuana at the federal level. Will this take a burden off law enforcement or be the gateway to the end of civilization? I'm not opposed to someone's personal use, but how can you allow people to use it without also allowing people to distribute it?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/07/...ana/index.html

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I'm not opposed to someone's personal use, but how can you allow people to use it without also allowing people to distribute it?

Simple: take a note from the pages of Amsterdam's legalized marijuana. Individuals cannot legally sell it, it must be acquired from a business licensed to sell it. California already has such establishments.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 01:32 PM

The war on drugs has been a pointless failure.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 01:39 PM

I have a feeling this will not pass. Still too many old geezers in Congress who still don't understand Marijuana.

Maybe in about 20 years.

And as far as distribution, treat it much like alcohol, but more strict. Licenses required to sell it, and make those hard to get. Regulate the hell out of it, and make the U.S. government money to help fight the drugs that actually destroy society (meth, heroin, etc). It can be done, and is being done elsewhere.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 01:46 PM

A new proposal introduced by Barney Frank will seek to decriminalize the use of marijuana at the federal level. Will this take a burden off law enforcement or be the gateway to the end of civilization? I'm not opposed to someone's personal use, but how can you allow people to use it without also allowing people to distribute it?

I don't think it would make much difference, except in symbolism. Not many people are prosecuted at the federal level for marijuana, as far as I know.

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa
Simple: take a note from the pages of Amsterdam's legalized marijuana. Individuals cannot legally sell it, it must be acquired from a business licensed to sell it. California already has such establishments.
I don't really like the idea of big business getting into marijuana. Today, cigarettes wouldn't be much of a problem if it wasn't for big business. I think it would be better if people were allowed to make/grow their own and sell it in small quantities, i.e., possession of small quantities would be legal.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2008, 01:46 PM

This would be a good thing, but it isn't a thing that's going to happen.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 01:47 PM

I'm in the "treat it like alcohol" camp.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
And there's certainly no crime in Amsterdam.

Oh, wait.

Legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana will solve or lessen some problems, but to think that it will not have consequences, even if it is regulated, is naive.

Hint: in California, there is good reason why locals try to keep such authorized establishments far away from touristy areas.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by BasketofPuppies View Post
Legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana will solve or lessen some problems, but to think that it will not have consequences, even if it is regulated, is naive.
If everyone got high instead of drunk, we'd be better off. It's never made sense to me that alcohol is okay, but pot is not considering the effects of both.

Kensington
Jul 30, 2008, 02:55 PM

People shouldn't have to fear going to federal "pound you in the @ss" prison for something as silly as possession of a plant. Decriminalization will free people from that fear, however this wont stop people from getting "busted" for smoking dope. The police would still charge people if caught, only they would get a fine, like a speeding ticket rather than a life altering federal charge and (depending on quantity) jail sentance. There is an abundance of poor souls in prison right now for doing nothing more than having a bag of grass in their pocket at the wrong time, these are not dangerous hardened criminals, they are harmless, hungry pot heads who have no desire to destroy America. They just want to be left alone. I for one think that Mr. Frank deserves a medal for standing up and speaking out against this injustice that has gone on for FAR too long.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 03:14 PM

A new proposal introduced by Barney Frank will seek to decriminalize the use of marijuana at the federal level. Will this take a burden off law enforcement or be the gateway to the end of civilization?
How will it end civilization any more than alcohol, tobacco/nicotine or caffeine already have?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
The war on drugs has been a pointless failure.
It's put an AWFUL lot of people in your jails, though.

And don't people who've been convicted of a crime automatically lose the right to vote in your country?

hmm.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 30, 2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
It's put an AWFUL lot of people in your jails, though.

And don't people who've been convicted of a crime automatically lose the right to vote in your country?

hmm.
I believe that it's felons that lose the right to vote. Unless you're talking about Canada, and in that case I don't know.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 03:28 PM

I'd pay to acquire a grow license.

The problem with controlling it once it's legal is that weed is just about the easiest plant to grow. People would be hard-pressed to grow their own tobacco but with weed it's a cake-walk. I highly (pun intended) doubt that the government would make any amount money on the taxation of pot if they also allowed people to grow their own.

Decriminalization is a step in the right direction though.

Zeeb  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
How will it end civilization any more than alcohol, tobacco/nicotine or caffeine already have?
Doesn't someone who sells pot also sell other types of drugs sometimes? If pot is legalized and distribution presumbably becomes legal, what opportunities does that present to someone who can now open a storefront selling pot but whom may take advantage of the situation and sell more harmful substances there? I agree that sending someone to prison merely for some pot is ridiculous -- but a large bag of cocaine or meth and I have no problems with the person spending some quality time behind bars.

I know licenses can be issued and this has been done on a small scale in California. However, how would this work nationwide? This change doesn't seem to block the possibility that states may continue to consider the drug illegal however.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I believe that it's felons that lose the right to vote. Unless you're talking about Canada, and in that case I don't know.
Ah, yes, you're right.

Possession alone (the vast majority of convictions) is just a misdemeanor, though possession with intent to sell is a felony, along with actual trafficking.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 03:31 PM

Pot dealers can get other drugs because of pot's illegality, and no other reason.

Having bought thousands of bags over the years I can think of only a few dealers that would have other stuff on them. In general, weed dealers like to sell weed only because it's the 'least illegal' of the drugs and your client base isn't shivering in a corner waiting to give head for their next fix.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 03:35 PM

Doesn't someone who sells pot also sell other types of drugs sometimes? If pot is legalized and distribution presumbably becomes legal, what opportunities does that present to someone who can now open a storefront selling pot but whom may take advantage of the situation and sell more harmful substances there? I agree that sending someone to prison merely for some pot is ridiculous -- but a large bag of cocaine or meth and I have no problems with the person spending some quality time behind bars.
Actually, that's an EXCELLENT argument for LEGALIZING the sale of pot - because that completely removes it from the shady and illicit circles.

People who sell alcohol generally do fine just doing that (and tobacco) and don't need to compensate for any risk by adding more profitable sideline businesses.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2008, 03:47 PM

Bingo. Take away the illegality of pot an it's no longer a 'gateway drug'...whatever the **** that means anyways.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 03:55 PM

Ah, yes, you're right.

Possession alone (the vast majority of convictions) is just a misdemeanor, though possession with intent to sell is a felony, along with actual trafficking.
Even ex-felons have the right to vote in almost all states in the US, with a few notable exceptions (and all those exceptions are wrong, IMO). But I think lpkmckenna is Kanuckian.

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 04:01 PM

hmm.
Only for felonies, and not in every state. Never for misdemeanors. You typically have to have an awful lot of marijuana on you for it to be a felony.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

Uncle Doof
Senior User
Jul 30, 2008, 04:40 PM

Interesting thing happening in the Netherlands right now.

"Coffee shops" are workplaces, and tobacco smoking is outlawed in the workplace. So technically, unless you're toking straight, it's illegal to smoke inside because of the tobacco and illegal to smoke outside because of the weed.
If you don't want to be eaten, stop acting like food

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 07:02 PM

It's a good first step.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2008, 10:48 PM

In Canada? I don't think so.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2008, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'd pay to acquire a grow license.

The problem with controlling it once it's legal is that weed is just about the easiest plant to grow. People would be hard-pressed to grow their own tobacco but with weed it's a cake-walk. I highly (pun intended) doubt that the government would make any amount money on the taxation of pot if they also allowed people to grow their own.

Decriminalization is a step in the right direction though.
You'd need one if you want it to be like alcohol - private home brewing is barely legal, with federal 'revenuers' still hunting down and breaking up backwoods stills.

coreythemagnificent46
Steven Landon
Marketplace Fame
Jul 31, 2008, 01:20 AM

I say legalize it.. sometimes people need a joint to relax and open up otherwise they are a hermit crab

Forum Links
Forum Rules