Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Iranian Government Terrorist Plot Against US

Iranian Government Terrorist Plot Against US
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 03:00 PM

Iranians Charged Over Terror Plot in US
Originally Posted by Fox News
Authorities foiled an alleged plot that was directed by factions of the Iranian government to bomb the Israeli and Saudi Arabian embassies in Washington and a plot to assassinate the Saudi ambassador to the United States, Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday at a press conference. . . .
This is a substantial story. The US government foiled a terrorist plot apparently backed by the Iranian government to bomb Saudi and Israeli embassies in the US. Are enough people taking the Iranian threat seriously?

It should be remembered that while a considerable amount of Iranian bellicosity is directed toward Israel, Iran also calls for the destruction of the United States as well. There is some speculation that Saudi Arabia has been secretly coordinating with Israel on a strike against Iran. The West clearly wants Israel to do the dirty work that the other countries don't want to do themselves. Is the US finally going to take seriously the Iranian menace, and more importantly, react with a credible deterrent to future Iranian aggression?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 03:34 PM

You do realize your thread title is inaccurate and misleading given the actual substance of the article right?

As for the "Iranian threat" ... I see this as just the latest example of Iran and Saudi Arabia jockeying for position in the Middle East. Just more Shia vs Sunni BS in my view.

OAW

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
You do realize your thread title is inaccurate and misleading given the actual substance of the article right?
No, I don't see my thread title as inaccurate at all. Have you been following the story and its developments?

Sometimes I forget why I have you on ignore, but then you jolt my memory.
As for the "Iranian threat" ... I see this as just the latest example of Iran and Saudi Arabia jockeying for position in the Middle East.
Wow, that's how you react to this serious terrorist conspiracy involving the highest levels of the Iranian government. Amazing. I can't begin to imagine how twisted your general vision of the world is.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Are enough people taking the Iranian threat seriously?
Since the necessary resources were applied to defeat this plot, the answer is obviously yes.
There is some speculation that Saudi Arabia has been secretly coordinating with Israel on a strike against Iran. The West clearly wants Israel to do the dirty work that the other countries don't want to do themselves. Is the US finally going to take seriously the Iranian menace, and more importantly, react with a credible deterrent to future Iranian aggression?
These three sentences make no sense together. The Saudis are working with the Israelis, because the West wants them to, except for the US, who somehow aren't among "the West." Who exactly is pushing the Saudis and Israelis to attack Iran, the French?

And let's try to remember why the Iranians behave like a nation of paranoid schizophrenics:

Gee, it's almost like the US is encircling the Iranians. Wait, it's exactly like that. It's not paranoia when people really are out to get you, especially when they have done it a few times before.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 12:02 AM

Of course it couldn't be that this thing was blown out of proportion by Washington (or even made up), to keep the American people scared forever, so we don't have objections to a military that's increasingly encroaching on our lives, and budget, could it?
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Gee, it's almost like the US is encircling the Iranians. Wait, it's exactly like that. It's not paranoia when people really are out to get you, especially when they have done it a few times before.
Of course, it couldn't be because Iran is ruled by a maniac bent on making nuclear weapons to use against half the M.E. and Europe. Nah, that's just being paranoid.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 01:15 PM

No, I don't see my thread title as inaccurate at all. Have you been following the story and its developments?

Sometimes I forget why I have you on ignore, but then you jolt my memory.
Again with the "you have me on ignore" claims ... yet magically you always seem to respond to my posts that other people haven't even quoted. Man ... that really is a neat trick!

In any event, the reason why your thread title is "inaccurate" is because it speaks of an Iranian plot against the US. Whereas the actual article you cited speaks of an Iranian plot in the US that is actually targeted at the Saudis and Israelis. Words matter. And that's a big difference.

Wow, that's how you react to this serious terrorist conspiracy involving the highest levels of the Iranian government. Amazing. I can't begin to imagine how twisted your general vision of the world is.
Well considering this .....

Yesterday afternoon, the U.S. government charged Mansoor Arbabsiar, a dual U.S.–Iranian citizen, and Gholam Shakuri, an alleged member of the Iranian Quds Force (a division of the Revolutionary Guards), with conspiracy to assassinate the Saudi Arabian ambassador to the United States, Adel Al-Jubeir, and to attack both the Saudi and Israeli embassies in Washington, D.C. Although the nature of Iranian government involvement remains to be seen, the indictment is just the latest story in the intricate cold war now developing between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

The two countries, at odds since the 1979 revolution in Iran and ever more so in the wake of the Arab Spring, are competing for dominance in global energy markets and nuclear technology and for political influence in the Persian Gulf and the Levant. Their conflict, with its sectarian overtones, has the potential to weaken pro-democracy forces in the Middle East and North Africa, empower Islamists, and drag the United States into military interventions.
To avoid all this, the United States will need strategic imagination to devise ways to mitigate and manage the rivalry between Riyadh and Tehran.

Iran and Saudi Arabia are neither natural allies nor natural enemies but natural rivals who have long competed as major oil producers and self-proclaimed defenders of Shia and Sunni Islam, respectively. Until the Iranian revolution in 1979, their rivalry was managed and controlled by the United States, with whom they were both strategic allies. But after the Shah was overthrown, Saudi Arabia’s leadership became frightened by the Ayatollah Khomenei’s denunciation of the Saudi monarchy as antithetical to Islam and his ambition to export to the revolution to the Arab world. Saudi Arabia remained an ally of the United States; Iran became an implacable foe. Thereafter, the rivalry between Iran and Saudi Arabia became defined by the new U.S. strategy - ally with Saudi Arabia to offset Iran.
Explaining the Iran-Saudi rivalry – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

... it would appear that my assessment of the situation is not without merit.

OAW

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2011, 12:57 AM

Wow, that's how you react to this serious terrorist conspiracy involving the highest levels of the Iranian government.
Well, just out of curiosity, what else does the highest levels of the Iranian government ever do? Yes, this is a serious question.

I picture whatever passes for any given session of 'the highest levels of Iranian government' being pretty much a read-through of who to assassinate, what uprising to put down, what where and when to sponsor blowing something/someone up -break for lunch- and then when/where/how/ against whom to pull the latest pissy stunt.

screener
Senior User
Oct 13, 2011, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Again with the "you have me on ignore" claims ... yet magically you always seem to respond to my posts that other people haven't even quoted. Man ... that really is a neat trick!

Nuff said.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 02:37 AM

Is the thread title hair really worth splitting?

Sure, it's an attack on the Israelis and the Saudis, in Washington D.C.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2011, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Is the thread title hair really worth splitting?

Sure, it's an attack on the Israelis and the Saudis, in Washington D.C.
It's a pretty significant difference when considering what the U.S.'s response could be.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2011, 10:22 AM

True.

I have to say though, I didn't have to read past the thread title to know that whatever it was talking about, it involved some form of cutout or plausible deniability.

Iran is big trouble, but I don't think they're stupid enough to try a direct attack.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2011, 11:15 PM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Forum Links
Forum Rules