Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Rectangular badge upper right

Rectangular badge upper right
kevs
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2018, 12:41 PM

I always assume all oval rectangular badges are from Growl, and I'm getting a pestering one about High Sierra, which I don't want to download yet, but Growl says it's not them, it's Apple. Is this correct? Then who invented those badges... Did Growl copy that badge look from Apple or vice versa? It's same exact size, oval shape everything. Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 18, 2018, 01:25 PM

Growl came first. Then Apple released Notifications, which just happen to look the same. This one is a nagger from the App Store.

System Preferences -> App Store -> [ ] Download newly available updates in the background

Uncheck the above box. It may turn off the nagging. Though you may also have to locate the installer it already downloaded and delete it.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2018, 04:33 PM

Reader, so Growl invented the box? And Apple copied its exact size, look, shape and location later? So you can see why I was thinking it was Growl?

Yes Nagger! I have had to dismiss this about 20 times...

Before I do anything: Can I dismiss just high sierra nag only? If I uncheck then it effects notices from Apple I may want/ like?

(btw, I did not download anything)

Thorzdad
Jan 18, 2018, 06:48 PM

Yes. The one you’re seeing for High Sierra is being pushed on you by Apple. My wife’s MBP is getting it, too. No Growl on her Mac.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2018, 09:08 PM

Thanks T, but who invented it... just curious, fascinating if Apple copied Growl right?

I assumed for months it was growl!

But can I tell Apple then to leave me alone for just this one specific alert?

Thorzdad
Jan 18, 2018, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
Thanks T, but who invented it... just curious, fascinating if Apple copied Growl right?

I assumed for months it was growl!

But can I tell Apple then to leave me alone for just this one specific alert?
I don’t think it’s a case of anyone copying anyone else. I suspect there’s some sort of Apple design guideline for the appearance of that type of popup that everyone has to follow.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2018, 10:34 PM

Well then Apple designed it!

Some person designed that. It's a very specific shape and size and pops up in a specific place. Apple or Growl or someone.. but, yeah I thought for years it's was a Growl only thing. Again:

Can I tell Apple then to leave me alone for just this one specific alert?

Forum Links
Forum Rules