Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > [REL] UNO - Sunken Unified GUI

[REL] UNO - Sunken Unified GUI
gritz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 10:33 AM

UNO 1.3.1 Now Available!

UNO derives from the Latin word for one and stands for "as one".

UNO is the root of Unity.

UNO is a theme that brings the sunken unified toolbar/titlebar look&feel to every single window on your system (cocoa or carbon, metal or aqua and already unified windows as well).

On an higher level, UNO's main goal is to enhance aqua interface consistence, by making all elements look&feel "as one".
UNO is aimed to those who want a clean and un-osbstructive interface while keeping the best of Aqua.

The unity level proposed by UNO does not compromises overall GUI contrast: UNO and UNO shade can be mixed up in order to achieve that usability goal.

Please download @ gui.interacto.net - Home

1.3.1 change log :
  • iTunes 7.
  • Fixed a bug that would prevent UNO from applying to Firefox and Thunderbird on some system setups.
  • Fixed an issue that would prevent UNO from install and uninstall on systems where Spotlight has been removed.
  • Spotlight and Apple menu items are now back to default size (due to massive request).
  • Fixed an issue that would prevent UNO installation if iTunes was in other location than the default Applications folder.
  • Fixed a very notorious UI glitch found on Microsoft Word, Printer Setup Utility and Extensis Suitcase (Open/Save Panels and Alerts' background was not themed).
  • Fixed a rendering glitch on Adobe applications like Photoshop, ImageReady, Illustrator (a tone mismatch visible with UNO shade on group boxes of Open/Save windows).
  • Added localization support for hardcoded strings.
  • Added French localization (thanks to Thomas Didrel - tototoolco.com).
  • Added Italian localization (thanks to Claudio - shieldnet.tk).
  • The Read Me file is now localized too (thanks to Jamie Curmi - curmi.com for Universal Document).
  • Refined minimum requirements Alert panels.
  • Other installer enhancements.
( Last edited by gritz; Sep 13, 2006 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Update)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2005, 11:59 AM

looks good.

what does itunes 5 look like? maybe match metal to itunes 5? (the color, not the sans border look)

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 12:19 PM

This pretty nice.

iTunes 5 is untouched.

It may be a little too grey though, IMO. The level seems somewhere between 'dark' like iTunes and the lighter gray of the aqua shades.

Perhaps an alternate 'light' version would be an improvement?

Unified is nice, but I started to realize as it was being used everywhere by this and themes like Iridium the UI as a whole started to take on a sort of 'drab' or 'lifeless' tone.

As far as usability of the actual theme, the only funk I notices was in Text Wrangler. When you view the line numbers the gradient repeats rather than the area being flat gray. It is the resource TW uses and I doubt there is anything you can do about it.

Good work though!

P.S. The carbon resize window drag tab could use some love
( Last edited by :dragonflypro:; Sep 16, 2005 at 12:33 PM. )

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 12:46 PM

How is this different from Iridium - just a question, not critique!

Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Macanoid
How is this different from Iridium - just a question, not critique!
This seems a little more aggressive in applying the Unified look. It addresses the progress and dialog boxes, where as in Iridium they are kinda 'flat'

T

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 03:17 PM

I've given this a try and to be honest, it looks good, but..... not as good as Iridium IMHO. The latter seems more refined

eyecandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2005, 03:33 PM

The windows look good, but i really do not like the top menu bar, which still has the glassy look of tiger. i am using a modded tiger.rscs which give me not only a fully un ified system but also a menu bar that fits.

gritz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2005, 10:36 PM

Changes in 1.0.1:

Fixed iChat (when not connected window) and QuickTime (not showing window title) issues.
Added 10% of transparency to menus.
Changed menu selected color to fit root menu color.
Fixed white drag corners (was very notorious on Word).

m3
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2005, 04:57 PM

Is there any way to preserve the darker line on the bottom of a window titlebar when the toolbar is hidden? Currently it's a white line.

This is the only annoyance I have with this theme, otherwise, gorgeous.

gritz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 05:52 AM

New in Version 1.0.2

- Fixed Safari Bookmarks bar (white line appearing in large windows on high resolution monitors).
- Reduced menus transparency from 10% to 5% (for usability).
- Other minor pixel level adjustments.

P
Sep 20, 2005, 04:40 PM

Not bad. The best I've seen in a long time, in fact. I have one more thing, though - the status bar right below the window title in the Finder Icon mode, browser off - the one that shows free disk space - is still white. It really ought to be the same color as the window title, don't you think?

The important part is not what it does to the Aqua windows, it's what it does to the metal windows that is a godsend.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2005, 08:41 PM

Personally, I love it. Keep up the awesome work.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2005, 08:47 PM

Argh, double post.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Sep 21, 2005, 01:30 PM

Very nice work indeed!!!
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

macgeekjay
Sep 21, 2005, 06:07 PM

I also love this customization! Works like a charm and seems to cover EVERYthing. I would like to see the main toolbar added, though, as some have mentioned. It seems to stick out now.

gritz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2005, 07:13 AM

UNO 1.1:
  • Installer/uninstaller redesigned.
  • iTuno (UNO for iTunes 5.0.1).
  • Merged root menu bar with UNO look & feel.
  • DLTA version for ThemeChanger.
  • Added Known Issues to ReadMe.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2005, 03:14 PM

Very nice, guritz! I totally missed this, but I really like it. I wouldn't mind Apple actually pushing to use this new plastic look the way you've done to tie apps together with it. I especially like that you created an installer/uninstaller for this. Good stuff! Thank you.

delete
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2005, 01:17 AM

I like this a lot. And I really like the simplified install. Nice job.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 6, 2005, 07:33 AM

Could you make this into an installer like Max does with Smoothstripes?

I could really see me using this.

Crimson
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2005, 10:37 AM

Kevin, it is an installer...

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2005, 10:49 AM

I assume he means a proper installer that uses Apple's Installer.app

Crimson
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2005, 11:21 AM

ooh, my bad. I should've been a bit more careful

gritz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2005, 06:48 PM

Do Smoothstripes installer make a backup of current files so you can unistall later?

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 7, 2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by gritz
Do Smoothstripes installer make a backup of current files so you can unistall later?
I believe so.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2005, 12:36 AM

Great skin! Love the unified look everywhere, except: The menubar and the Widgets dock. Can you make it an option not to theme these?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 12:08 AM

Also there seems to be a bug with the Illustrator CS2 tool palette corners.

gritz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2005, 06:58 AM

New in UNO 1.1.1:
  • Mozilla Firefox is now Unified.
  • Mozilla Thunderbird is now Unified.
  • iTuno (UNO for iTunes 6) separated to it's own download (for fast update & ThemeChanger users access).
  • UNO with default root menu bar available.

delete
Forum Regular
Oct 15, 2005, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the update!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2005, 12:36 AM

Thanks for providing the gloss menu bar as an option, but what about the widget dock? I'd be happy for just a patch that you apply after installation if you don't want to provide yet another version of UNO for downloading

This could even simplify downloads more:
UNO - full theme with menubar
Bring back glossy menu bar
Bring back widget dock

(and UNO themechanger versions)

gritz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Thanks for providing the gloss menu bar as an option, but what about the widget dock? I'd be happy for just a patch that you apply after installation if you don't want to provide yet another version of UNO for downloading

This could even simplify downloads more:
UNO - full theme with menubar
Bring back glossy menu bar
Bring back widget dock

(and UNO themechanger versions)
Thank you for the ideas.
I'm thinking of a more "interactive" installer, witch gives the options to pick up from,
enabling several combinations (itunes, widget dock, glossy menu, or full).
Maybe this way I may make it a little more simple.. And less files to download..

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 1, 2005, 03:12 AM

Uno has some problems with 10.4.3 and the new Safari. The tabs are weird in metal. Looks minorly better if you switch Safari to Aqua though.

macintosh007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 05:20 AM

how to install it can anybody explain?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2005, 01:56 AM

Love the theme... but (there's always a but)
1. I know it's planned but a darker version that matches iTunes 6.
2. The Aqua gumdrop-ish elements actually looks sorta out of place. I think maybe "flattening" the Close-Minimise-Maximise button and the scroll bars so they're more glass-like would work better. (See how iTunes 6 does it's sunken buttons)
3. Build a completed ShapeShifter version of this theme for those of us who have it.

_fatcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2005, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Uno has some problems with 10.4.3 and the new Safari. The tabs are weird in metal. Looks minorly better if you switch Safari to Aqua though.
get safari enhancer (updated for 10.4.3) under theme options (apart from aqua and brushed) there is unified option as well. select that and all is well...

gritz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 06:57 PM

UNO 1.2:
  • New installer.
  • Owner, Group and Permissions are now more properly set.
  • No more need to run UNO from the DMG (fixed an issue that would prevent UNO from running correctly if there were spaces in UNO path).
  • Fixed a bug that whould prevent UNO from applying Firefox and Thunderbird skin if there were spaces in Home's path.
  • Mozzila application's files and directories changed by UNO get correct permissions now (user was unable to create new profiles).
  • New unique unified toolbar gradient rendering technique (allowing many bug fixes not listed here).
  • Refined unified toolbar gradient.
  • Dialog windows and TextEdit unified toolbar shows now a slightly more sunken gradient.
  • Fixed Safari tabs glitch (were white, very notorious after Mac OS X 10.4.3 update), without loosing toolbar gradient on metal windows.
  • Fixed Safari tabs loading progress indicator (was showing white background if the tab was not on focus).
  • Fixed Safari "long standing" Bookmarks window bug (was showing repeated white horizontal artifact).
  • Fixed Safari Downloads window glicth (was showing repeated white horizontal artifact at the window bottom).
  • Fixed some glitches on Java applications windows.
  • Fixed Adobe Illustrator toolbar glitch (bottom line of small modal titlebar was missing on caps).
  • iTuno installer updated.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 09:23 PM

Uno 1.2 installer does not work. Says can't find some MD files or something when copying. Tried the ThemeChanger one, with errors as well.

gritz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 09:41 PM

Can you please mail me a screenshot of the error?
[email protected]
Or tell me the full error?
That would help. Thanks.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 09:43 PM

In standalone installer, after hitting install and authenticating:

AppleScript Error
cp: /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/MDMenu_LeftPattern.tiff: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/MDMenu_RightPattern.tiff: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/MDSearchWidget_Normal-1.tiff: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/MDSearchWidget_Normal-6.tiff: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/MDSearchWidget_Pressed-1.tiff: No such file or directory
cp: /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/Resources/MDSearchWidget_Pressed-6.tiff: No such file or directory (1)

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 09:44 PM

sorry dupe. this forum upgrade really sucks. :-(

timmerk
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 09:46 PM

Oh, btw, I see the error is there because I got rid of Search.bundle to remove the annoying Spotlight menuitem. Any work around? Even in ThemeChanger, when I deselect all of the above files, it still says a generic error.

gritz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by timmerk
Oh, btw, I see the error is there because I got rid of Search.bundle to remove the annoying Spotlight menuitem. Any work around? Even in ThemeChanger, when I deselect all of the above files, it still says a generic error.
The fast workaround is put the Search.bundle back before install and before uninstall UNO. Not an elegant solution but works, I've just tried myself.
I will fix that later..
Thank you!

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2005, 12:56 PM

Just posting to say thanks for making this. It's really been a pleasure over the last few weeks using a fully-uniform GUI. Keep up the great work

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2005, 10:54 PM

Quick question: has anyone tried this on the x86 OS X? I'm aware that Iridium crashes and burns on it... how about UNO?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Siroh.Amano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2005, 08:13 AM

I wanted to know, since this was apparently made with ThemePark, if a Shapeshifter GUIkit will ever be available? Since the early days of Mac OS X theming, I've been made wary of any mod that actually replaces the system files (one OS reinstall later). I use Shapeshifter on a daily basis. If there are modifications that can't be currently done in SS that's fine. If the author has a deep-seeted dislike of the SS platform or something that's fine too. I'd just like some insight, because while I want to add this theme to my collection, I'm not using an installer app every again for something like this.

Siroh

tigas
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2005, 02:51 PM

Well, for me the best thing about UNO is that I don't have to pay to use Shapeshifter and it's not continuously eating CPU cycles to skin in realtime

Siroh.Amano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 09:18 AM

Hey, I'm not asking him to stop making his installer, I was just wondering if he had plans to release as a GUIkit.

Siroh

JellyBeen
Senior User
Dec 16, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Siroh.Amano
Hey, I'm not asking him to stop making his installer, I was just wondering if he had plans to release as a GUIkit.

Siroh
If you go to his webpage : http://gui.interacto.net/index.php?o...d=16&Itemid=33

You will see the version for ThemeChanger. Use that dlta in Shape Shifter since SS handles dlta's and GUI kits.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

delete
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2006, 08:40 PM

Any idea how this will work with 10.4.4?

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2006, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by delete
Any idea how this will work with 10.4.4?
I'm using it and it looks great. Better than Iridium and it reminds me of the old "iridium quicksilver". This one is a keeper for me.

Senior User
Jan 11, 2006, 12:57 AM

Works like a charm!

T

Forum Links
Forum Rules