Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Xbox 360 Crashing

Xbox 360 Crashing
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2005, 05:45 AM

Oh MS, your new XBox was to be so good. Now the net is filled with pictures of it crashing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80491849@N00/65990159/

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2005, 06:33 AM

Excellent [/Mr. Burns]

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Cubeoid
Baninated
Nov 25, 2005, 07:00 AM

^^

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 08:13 AM

, what can i say ? some people never learn, serves em right.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2005, 08:49 AM

I guess sleeping on the sidewalk for the xbox makes that an even bitter pill to swallow.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2005, 10:08 AM

They use PPC in these systems don't they? if so looks like MS should of taken Apples cue to move away from PPC.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Nov 25, 2005, 10:15 AM

No they should of let apple design their OS... lol...
- Eric

Ham Sandwich
Nov 25, 2005, 10:16 AM

I wonder if it'll turn any of these people into Apple customers on their next system purchase?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 12:27 PM

Yes the Xbox is crashing like mad. Don't know yet if it is an OS issue, game issue or hardware issue.

For me I am getting a feeling that it is a game issue as it was rushed.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2005, 12:33 PM

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=27930

Dan, from Duluth, or 'goldeneyemaster' as he is known, told the game spot forum here that he thinks the main reason that the xBox 360 freezes is because the power supply overheats. The solution is to lift the power supply off the floor and allow the air to circulate better around it.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2005, 12:46 PM

Isn't the power supply also like the size of an elephant?

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 12:52 PM

That's so ghetto, I hope we don't have to tilt the XBox into different positions to get it to work, a la PS2. I have noticed that all of the display units at stores are standing upright, which suggests that this is the best position for it to be in to avoid crashing.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
That's so ghetto, I hope we don't have to tilt the XBox into different positions to get it to work, a la PS2. I have noticed that all of the display units at stores are standing upright, which suggests that this is the best position for it to be in to avoid crashing.
No I don't think that is the reason at all. It should actually work better laying down (like the PS2).

The reason it is standing in every damn shot is because it looks smaller and as opposite from the last xbox as possible.

Anyway, played 6 hours last night, no crashes.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 03:39 PM

What's the resale value of a 360 now? $199? Hahaha

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2005, 04:49 PM

I remember when my nephew got his Xbox 2 Christmases ago. That morning his did the same thing. The poor guy. Christmas Day, brand new XBox, no stores ope, Microsoft told him to return it... we tried, but it took 3 days.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
What's the resale value of a 360 now? $199? Hahaha
lol...i wouldnt take one if someone gave it to me for free. rushed and badly engineered, id rather pay for quality than bragging rights. but then again, im not a geeky technophile.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 10:23 PM

If they engineered the hardware like they design their software, there's no Firmware Update that will cure it.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2005, 10:51 PM

I'll wait for Apple's game console.

and I'll wait, and I'll wait, and I'll wait....

On second thought, I'd rather have one that isn't perfect - than to not have one at all.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2005, 11:28 PM

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2005, 12:10 AM

Some peoples' loyalty to Nintendo/Sony borders on the bizarre. If a games console is available now which has impressive specs and decent games, what is to hate about it? Because it doesn't have the toylike "feel" of Nintendo, or the chintzy, fashionably flimsy look of a Sony product?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2005, 12:34 AM

Some peoples' loyalty to Nintendo/Sony borders on the bizarre. If a games console is available now which has impressive specs and decent games, what is to hate about it? Because it doesn't have the toylike "feel" of Nintendo, or the chintzy, fashionably flimsy look of a Sony product?
Because we think Nintendo produces better games?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2005, 12:43 AM

But you always quote the same damn 5 games.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 26, 2005, 01:54 AM

Eh, first-gen products always have a greater than usual number of problems -- and Apple's no exception there. That's why I usually wait for Rev B. :-)

The PSP is one exception to that rule. The early ones are great other than the odd dead pixel, and early firmware is nice.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2005, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
They use PPC in these systems don't they? if so looks like MS should of taken Apples cue to move away from PPC.
Highly unlikely it's the CPU's fault. Unless the CPU is broken, it should never cause a crash.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2005, 02:33 AM

two days with no crashes and 8 hours play! Yippie!

Still gonna exchange it when I get a chance though.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2005, 03:07 AM

My Xbox 360 has yet to crash. It works great and the games are incredible. Bash all you want, but until Sony or Nintendo actually show us any games, Microsoft is king of the console gaming world.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2005, 05:42 AM

Right now my "dream" game "console" consists of a 24" LCD, an arcade cabinet, some custom control panel/lighting/painting/decor work, and a mac mini or a B&W g3 or something of the sorts to power it

Shoot, FreeBSD + wine + a few random old games and MAME would do it just fine too

I wonder if you guys are hating on it because it's Microsoft or because it has a PPC processor in it.. or if that's why you're defending it. IMHO it's pretty silly to do any of the following:

1. Defend it
2. Offend it
3. Wait in line 6 hours to get one
4. Compare it to much older consoles, conclude it's better, and then use that as a persuading point to people who aren't interested in why to buy one.

It crashes, whether it's a game glitch or a hardware glitch that's their damn problem, and I don't see why people need to look on the bright side about that.

My 3 year old xbox has a defective power supply that could catch on fire, and they're not willing to fix it. All they did was send me this stupid looking plug that MIGHT work but doesn't really, cheap bastards!

Of course, the problem is caused by too much flexing of said area, and since my console sits on a box under my TV's table and almost never gets used, it probably would never have that problem anyway

Oooh.. a mac zealot has an xbox.. a DARK xbox of all xboxes.. and he doesn't use it! O_O

Ya know I've never played Halo?

Not on an xbox anyway...oh wait.. no that'd be a lie, I did play it at a friend's house once, and I have played it on a mac before, the mac in SP was boring, and the xbox was ridiculously difficult for me to control right.

*sigh*

Of all the FPS games in the world, I don't really know why people rave about Halo so much anyway; It's pretty mundane at best, even Quake 3 is a bit more entertaining at times..

Sure, you can drive around in vehicles, but you can do that in UT2k4... and UT2k4 has WAAAY more vehicles to drive

I just got my xbox because at the time it was $199 with 2 games and had a hard drive, a PS2 was $199 and had nothing, a gamecube was $149 and had nothing.. Whatcha think I'd want?

Got the gamecube a year later with memory card and 5 games for $130something.. damn that was a good black friday special Didn't wait in line for it either, found it in my history in safari from when i went to walmart.com the day before, clicked it for laughs that saturday the day after.. and hey wait, it's in stock!

Suckers!

Personally, I think this is the most effort anyone's put into derailing a thread
( Last edited by Link; Nov 26, 2005 at 05:49 AM. )
Aloha

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Link
My 3 year old xbox has a defective power supply that could catch on fire, and they're not willing to fix it. All they did was send me this stupid looking plug that MIGHT work but doesn't really, cheap bastards!
Really? It doesn't work? Can you tell us why that is?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
My Xbox 360 has yet to crash. It works great and the games are incredible. Bash all you want, but until Sony or Nintendo actually show us any games, Microsoft is king of the console gaming world.
What are you talking about? I have dozens of games from Nintendo.
Chuck
___

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Nov 26, 2005, 03:23 PM

He means Revolution or PS3 (next-gen console) games. Apparently "you have a new console out" = "you are king of console gaming."

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2005, 04:14 PM

Apparently so.

Gotta hand it to them though, Microsoft knows marketing - they executed the "ZOMG TOTAL SHORTAGE OF XBOXES EVERYWHERE! RIOTS AND LOOONG LINES WAITING FOR IT!!!" rage perfectly, even threw a controversial problem into the mix to get more publicity.

Now we'll get the "it's like nothing ever done before" reviews from "hard core gamers" .. well.. actually we got those, and we got plenty of the Nintendo is dead, long live Microsoft.. or more popular, Nintendo is dead, long live Sony...

Some of the same people posting from the "DIE SONY! THEM WITH THEIR EVIL DRM!!!!" threads too

Really though, I think Microsoft will do good with this one, and if they do, I also believe the last reason why would be 1. Their own games, and 2. Their console's greatness.. Honestly, since when has Microsoft ever gotten popularity for making a quality product?
Aloha

jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2005, 04:35 PM

Bill Gates smells like poo.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2005, 12:21 AM

Dude, who cares about the Xbox 360, buy a Dreamcast!

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
What are you talking about? I have dozens of games from Nintendo.
I have about 200 Nintendo games.... but obviously I'm talking about next-gen games.

My point is that Sony and Nintendo are talking a good talk, but neither one of them has shown a single second of actual gameplay on their systems.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 02:01 AM

Well 2 days and no crashing. Finished Kameo, it was awesome.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2005, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by ort888
I have about 200 Nintendo games.... but obviously I'm talking about next-gen games.

My point is that Sony and Nintendo are talking a good talk, but neither one of them has shown a single second of actual gameplay on their systems.
Yeah, but my point was that having out a system with newer hardware but no games worth mentioning does not make you king of the console gaming world in my book.
Chuck
___

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 02:26 AM

No games worth mentioning? Well, that's your opinion, but I think that they have put together a pretty good launch lineup. Nothing revolutionary in there, but a lot of games worth owning.

Anyone who has any doubts about the power of this system only needs to watch 30 seconds of Call of Duty 2 to change their mind. It's more then just a graphical leap. This game could not have been made on the Xbox. The first time I saw 30 Nazis yelling and running over a hill(about 100 yards from where I was), while I was fighting about 10 up close and dealing with about 3 snipers and a tank... all while the game stayed at a perfect 60 frames per second, I realized that I was playing something special.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2005, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Well 2 days and no crashing. Finished Kameo, it was awesome.
no you didn't

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 03:48 AM

Wow, the Pippen had a PPC processor, a PS3 boomerang shaped controller with xbox colored buttons. It really was ahead of its time.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2005, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman
Wow, the Pippen had a PPC processor, a PS3 boomerang shaped controller with xbox colored buttons. It really was ahead of its time.
And just like the Mac it had no games!
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 04:13 AM

Well 2 days and no crashing.
Ummm...thats cool n all. but like.....are we supposed to be impressed with it not crashing ? i mean im sure its a record for a Microsoft product, but is it something even worth mentioning these day ?

Thus far my Cube has crashed maybe twice over a period of 3 years, but i would hardly consider bragging about its uptime since not-crashing is(or should be) a feature out of the box. ...but yeah different standards probably do apply to Microsoft.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2005, 04:41 AM

Um... because it crashes?

I guess I'm no expert, not having had a game console since the SNES, but that did seem to be what the thread topic was about.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Ummm...thats cool n all. but like.....are we supposed to be impressed with it not crashing ? i mean im sure its a record for a Microsoft product, but is it something even worth mentioning these day ?

Thus far my Cube has crashed maybe twice over a period of 3 years, but i would hardly consider bragging about its uptime since not-crashing is(or should be) a feature out of the box. ...but yeah different standards probably do apply to Microsoft.

Funny stuff. My original Xbox never crashed ONCE and that was running on windows CE as far as I know.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 02:23 PM

My GameCube has crashed hundreds of times. It crashes about every 4-6 hours.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by starman
no you didn't
No I didn't what?

jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2005, 03:12 PM

yes, you did.

I love lamp.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 27, 2005, 09:21 PM

Ha, turns out that its crashes from the PSU overheating when put on carpet, or in any closed space, or just anywhere where it doesn`t have a fan put on it. Ha ha ha.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2005, 09:27 PM

No I didn't what?
Finish the game, according to your gamertag.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 09:29 PM

I could make a buck making media centers with an Xbox shelf with a fan.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by starman
Finish the game, according to your gamertag.
Get every damn item? No.

Beat the last boss? Yes.
http://live.xbox.com/member/Silly%20Hoe

Forum Links
Forum Rules