Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Crap! 733 QS dead!

Crap! 733 QS dead!
sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2006, 06:27 PM

After a short power outtage I went to turn my Mac back on (G4 733 QS) and the power button lights up when pressed, but nothing else happens.

Craptastic!

Where the hell do I start?

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 06:33 PM

Press the PMU reset on the mlb?

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2006, 06:35 PM

After looking at Apple.com they don't seem to have any diagram of where it is, any ideas?

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2006, 06:37 PM

First thing, unplug it and open the case. There should be a reset switch on the motherboard. Hold the reset down while you plug in the computer and keep it held down when you turn on the computer. If this doesn't help then reseat the RAM, video card, etc... ie make sure all the connections are good and then power it up again. If this doesn't help, see if you can boot off the CD. If you can boot off the CD, try repairing the boot drive. If this doesn't help, try something like Disk Warrior on the drive. If you can't boot off the CD, disconnect the internal hard drive and see if you can boot off the CD then. If it boots with the internal drive disconnected then the drive is probably damaged. If it still doesn't boot it could really be dead... (By that I mean that replacing the motherboard is more expensive than a new Mac Mini so its not worth it) The good thing about it being the motherboard is that your data is probably still intact and with an external FW/USB case you could probably copy the data onto a new computer.
--Laurence

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2006, 06:38 PM

The PMU reset is the only button on the motherboard. Just look carefully. Its about 3mm in diameter and If I recall its a light grey color. I also recall that it is visible without removing drives/RAM/Heatsinks, etc.
--Laurence

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2006, 06:40 PM

Found it! Worked! I'm not shedding my hair anymore (though I may have a new grey strand)

Thanks for your quick replies, I was across the street at a neighbor's house using their internet, so I appreciate the speedy responses.

My power has gone out countless times and this has never happened before, could this be a symptom of a larger problem?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 31, 2006, 07:13 PM

It's most likely a symptom of your PRAM battery being dead. Replace it and everything should be hunky dorey.

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2006, 10:13 PM

I had the same thing happen to me with my G5, where there was a pop and the power button would light up, I brought it to apple, they had to replace my power supply.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Captain Curt
Aug 31, 2006, 10:22 PM

I'm having the same problem on my Mac. My previously rock solid Mac slowly crashed. I replaced the hard disk drive and then reinstalled Tiger. Initially, I thought it was a problem related to the Radeon 9600 Pro PC/Mac video card. Sek929 do you use a Radeon card in your Mac? I have replaced two batteries, a hard disk drive and my ram passed a ram diagnostic test I downloaded. I still have the same syptoms-the power button lights up when pressed but then only a dark screen. If I press the PMU button with no power applied then push the power button everything works perfectly (except of course having to reset time and date). Lately, I've dismissed the idea of having a corrupted operating system. All of this is making me save faster and harder for a Mac Pro. Any insights anyone?
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

Captain Curt
Aug 31, 2006, 10:29 PM

Googer-Giger I didn't see your reply before I posted mine. Maybe a new power supply is the answer. Thanks.
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2006, 10:52 PM

I have a GeeForce 2MX

Captain Curt
Aug 31, 2006, 11:00 PM

Thanks sek929. The more info the better for my diagnosing my Mac.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 1, 2006, 09:40 AM

G4 533 DA with GeForce2MX.

I've had power outages that simply required a press of the power button to get started back up.

I've also had power outages that caused the same thing you experienced. (needing to press the PMU reset)

I think it's just a result of how the power gets zapped. I don't think it's a sign of bad things with your computer. I think.

Laurence: holding down the PMU while plugging in and turning on the computer?? Is that just on the Quicksilver models? I though a quick press was all that was necessary.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules