Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 30" Cinema Display Backlight Problem

30" Cinema Display Backlight Problem
rkv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2007, 12:28 PM

I have a three inch wide band across three quarters of my fifteen month old Apple 30" cinema display.

The band is an area which is much dimmer than the surrounding areas. I bought it at the same time as a Quad G5 with Apple Care. I'm hoping that Apple Care covers the whole purchase or just the CPU.

In terms of repair, is the backlighting separately repairable or does this mean my whole LCD has to be replaced. I guess I need to figure out if Apple Care covers the display which was in the same order as the CPU or not.

Anyone have any experience regarding such repairs.

Captain Curt
Mar 24, 2007, 02:32 PM

You may be OK. I seem to recall a discussion where someone said the apple care on a apple display had a longer time frame only if the monitor was bought at the same time a mac was bought. This is a fairly subtle thing. You may want to take your display to a apple store and only take a no from the manager of the store. I can imagine a new hire working in the store may not be aware of this rule (if in fact it does exist). Good luck.
Mac Pro 2.66, 30 inch Apple Cinema Display, Scansnap S510m, Brother 4070cdw, MX Revolution

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 03:03 PM

IF the Display and the Computer were on the SAME sales receipt as Applecare,

then you're fine.
Linkinus is king.

rkv  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2007, 04:39 PM

Yes, they are on the same apple invoice. Thanks for the info.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2007, 07:05 PM

So you're covered!

Good for you.

I would hate to have to pay like $1300 to have my (relatively) brand new display fixed
( Last edited by brokenjago; Mar 24, 2007 at 07:11 PM. )
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules