Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Jared eats Ronald's lunch

Jared eats Ronald's lunch
Thorzdad
Mar 8, 2011, 04:03 PM

Subway has passed McD's as the world's largest food chain.

Snark away!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 04:04 PM

We'll be healthy in no-time!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2011, 04:43 PM

I eat at Subway a couple times a month.

I go to McDonald's a couple of times a year, mainly get to get a snack (eg. apple pie and coffee) when I'm driving on the highway.

Thorzdad  (op)
Mar 8, 2011, 04:49 PM

On the last long-drive trip we took with the kids, we pretty-much relied on there being a Subway at every truck stop along the way. We saw way more Subways than McD's on the road.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2011, 04:54 PM

Subway's a rip-off.. seriously, 13 mothereffing dollars for a sandwich and two cookies? And the 5$ footlong is just a catch.. they say it applies to "classic" subs.. in my book a classic is not something low-end, but rather something that has been there for a long time or something people usually order. A Big Mac is a classic item, not a McWrap. And as matter of facts:

Classic:
  • a. Belonging to the highest rank or class.
  • b. Serving as the established model or standard: a classic example of colonial architecture.
  • c. Having lasting significance or worth; enduring.
  • a. Adhering or conforming to established standards and principles: a classic piece of research.
  • b. Of a well-known type; typical: a classic mistake.
  • 3. Of or characteristic of the literature, art, and culture of ancient Greece and Rome; classical.
  • a. Formal, refined, and restrained in style.
  • b. Simple and harmonious; elegant: the classic cut of a suit; the classic lines of a clipper ship.
  • 5. Having historical or literary associations: classic battlefields of the Civil War.
  • n.
  • 1. An artist, author, or work generally considered to be of the highest rank or excellence, especially one of enduring significance.
  • 2. A work recognized as definitive in its field.
  • a. A literary work of ancient Greece or Rome.
  • b. classics The languages and literature of ancient Greece and Rome. Used with the.
  • c. One that is of the highest rank or class: The car was a classic of automotive design.
  • 4. A typical or traditional example.
  • 5. Informal A superior or unusual example of its kind: The reason he gave for being late was a classic.
  • 6. A traditional event, especially a major sporting event that is held annually: a golf classic.
Plus, they lure you to the store only to find out the classic subs are normally 5,29, so they base their marketing around a generous discount of 29 cents!!

And by the way, why pretend to be healthy when the two cookies in the combo contain as many calories as the footlong sandwich... 250 for a single cookie is ridiculous.

And let's not talk about mailbox coupons that aren't valid anywhere except that store 10 km from your home, and the discontinuation of the stamp program...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 04:57 PM

A nerve appears to be struck.

Salty
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2011, 05:03 PM

I used to eat at McDonalds all the time in high school, our youth group was addicted and they had 69 cent cheese burgers on Sundays. After I went to college and lost a bunch of weight I vowed never to return. I think I'd eaten at there at twice a year since. But this year I got a job at a place where there was a McDonalds in a sort of mall food court nearby and somehow I got seduced into buying a Double Quarter Pounder, I hate to admit it, it's not terribly filling, and it has the texture of cardboard... but there's something about it that just makes me crave it now and again... thankfully I'm rarely within walking distance of one these days.

Subway I got addicted to for a while after college, I'd often get a Sub on the way home from the gym when they still had the Chicken Parm one. But after they killed that one off I lost interest.

If you want a really really good Sandwich at a much better price, Safeway's Deli (I know weird eh?) a 6 inch can be had for 6 bucks or so, but it's way more filling than a foot long subway one. 10 bucks gets you a foot long that you can break into two meals. Not to mention they have way higher end toppings.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2011, 05:14 PM

I love Subway. It's the only place near my work I can get a lunch for less than $10 bucks. My little part of town chased off all the fast food restaurants.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2011, 05:36 PM

The Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki is off the chain. It's about the only reason I ever go to Subway's. I'd much rather do Quizno's when I'm in the mood for a sub. Or Penn Station.

OAW

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2011, 05:52 PM

I must be against the grain because I can't stand Subway. Mediocre at best, horrendous on average.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 8, 2011, 05:53 PM

You're always against the grain.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
f you want a really really good Sandwich at a much better price, Safeway's Deli (I know weird eh?) a 6 inch can be had for 6 bucks or so, but it's way more filling than a foot long subway one. 10 bucks gets you a foot long that you can break into two meals. Not to mention they have way higher end toppings.
I like Safeway's deli. I especially like their olive spread and garlic cheese spread. You can also order meats at their full deli and have them make it into a sandwich. So your options are almost limitless.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You're always against the grain.
Must be. My mom says she got a splinter on my way out.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
250 for a single cookie is ridiculous.
Not really. Anyway, just skip the cookies.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2011, 06:14 PM

For the curious.

subway cookie calories

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 8, 2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Not really. Anyway, just skip the cookies.
No!! Sometimes I'll hit up Quiznos for a sub and stop at Subway just for two of the sugar cookies, if the morons working there haven't burnt them to a crisp.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2011, 07:41 PM

Subway is okay. The normal ones are somewhat of a rip off, but the kosher Subway on Pico in Los Angeles is pretty good and even reasonably priced. However, I really miss the New Deli chain in Israel - much higher quality. They actually have the meats out on display like a real deli instead of just having them pre-sliced in bags, they'll double your meat for not much more and they have great meat variety and excellent sauce options. Thinking about it, it's one of the first places I'll go the next time I'm there.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 8, 2011 at 07:51 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Mar 8, 2011, 08:51 PM

I've eaten at the Subway in St Petersburg, Russia, a few times. Pretty good compared to the usual Russian fare.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2011, 10:29 PM

I'd eat at subway more if they had french fries and chocolate shakes.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No!! Sometimes I'll hit up Quiznos for a sub and stop at Subway just for two of the sugar cookies, if the morons working there haven't burnt them to a crisp.
The cookies at Potbelly are much better.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 8, 2011, 11:37 PM

I have no idea what "Potbelly" is, but it sounds like something Person Man would be into.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2011, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I have no idea what "Potbelly" is, but it sounds like something Person Man would be into.
Potbelly Sandwich Shop - Good Vibes. Great Sandwiches.

They may not exist in Iowa.

I also highly recommend The Best Sandwich Place (actual name) at 1801 K St NW, Washington, DC.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2011, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Subway's a rip-off.. seriously, 13 mothereffing dollars for a sandwich and two cookies? And the 5$ footlong is just a catch..
I don't think I've EVER spent $13 at Subway, even with a large juice and chips.

And I happen to like the $5 footlong meatball sandwich, and the cold cut combo too.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2011, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Potbelly Sandwich Shop - Good Vibes. Great Sandwiches.

They may not exist in Iowa.

I also highly recommend The Best Sandwich Place (actual name) at 1801 K St NW, Washington, DC.
I can't imagine Champaign-Urbana having something Iowa doesn't. I thought Potbelly's was standard college town fare east of the Rockies.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2011, 02:11 AM

Since Potbelly is based in Chicago, it makes sense that there would be more of them in Illinois than elsewhere.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2011, 02:30 AM

Uhm, yeah, I have not seen Pottbellys outside of IL and WI. They might exist, but far from anything like a national chain.

-t

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2011, 10:16 AM

Their map says Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin (Iowa is a sad cut-out amongst these three), as well as Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, DC, and Texas.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Subway is okay. The normal ones are somewhat of a rip off, but the kosher Subway on Pico in Los Angeles is pretty good and even reasonably priced. However, I really miss the New Deli chain in Israel - much higher quality. They actually have the meats out on display like a real deli instead of just having them pre-sliced in bags, they'll double your meat for not much more and they have great meat variety and excellent sauce options. Thinking about it, it's one of the first places I'll go the next time I'm there.
The kosher ones are only reasonably priced compared to other kosher places. I've been to kosher subways in Maryland, Illinois, and Brooklyn and while I always walked away satisfied, it was never so great to make me go back with any regularity.
I've never heard of New Deli, but I have a Burgers Bar that is walking distance from me and I have yet to go there since I am never impressed with them.

I'm lucky to have a ton of restaurants I like that are close to me.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I don't think I've EVER spent $13 at Subway, even with a large juice and chips.

And I happen to like the $5 footlong meatball sandwich, and the cold cut combo too.
Happened to me last week Admittedly it's CDN $ but with the parity it should be about the same. Furthermore, I know a few employess who confessed their boss are employing tactics to deceive/defraud customers: first, they often instruct the staff to under-fill the steak trays so the customer receive less meat than ordered by Subway. And they conveniently use all the Monterrey Jack cheese on the bread so there's no more when the customer ask for it instead of Swiss or cheddar (and notice how they never mention the "secret" third option when asking what kind of cheese do we want (swiss or cheddar), and most of the time they will only sprinkle a bit of it. And let's not forget the time they changed the way the bread was cut so the customers could not fit as much ingredients as they could before...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2011, 04:09 PM

An employee admitted all that to you? That's stunning.

Makes a guy want to buy his own cold cuts and bread and made his own sandwiches! With blackjack and hookers!

Ah, forget the sandwiches.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2011, 04:45 PM

We don’t have Subways here, but we do have Sunset Boulevard, which is basically a more health-aware Subway spinoff. Their subs are fairly good, and low in calories. Their chips are oven-baked, rather than fried—but they’re actually really, really good. They’re more expensive than McDonald’s, but also better.

McDonald’s do have the best milk shakes, though. And they’re one of the few places that’ll actually mix milkshakes if you ask them (I like mine to be one third strawberry, one third banana, and one third chocolate).

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 9, 2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
McDonald’s do have the best milk shakes, though. And they’re one of the few places that’ll actually mix milkshakes if you ask them (I like mine to be one third strawberry, one third banana, and one third chocolate).
Obviously Danish McDonalds are very different from American stores. You get "a shake" when you order a shake, no matter what you ask for. Oh, you get "vanilla" or "strawberry," but it's just one flavor.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Obviously Danish McDonalds are very different from American stores. You get "a shake" when you order a shake, no matter what you ask for. Oh, you get "vanilla" or "strawberry," but it's just one flavor.
Having worked at a McDonald’s myself, and having many times cleaned out the tubes and canisters (or whatever they’re called) that hold the milk shake syrup in all four flavours in the milk shake machine there, I can definitely vouch for the fact that the four flavours are quite distinct here.

The milk part, though, the ‘shake mix’ (dunno what it’s actually called, that’s just what we always called it) is quite disgusting on its own. It looks basically like milk, if a bit creamier. But it smells like a wet goat. Bleurgh. It doesn’t develop its shaky deliciousness till it’s cooled down to half-frozen temperatures and shaken around in the machine for a bit.

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 9, 2011, 07:41 PM

I've always ranked the McDonalds shake as the lowest on the fast food totem pole. From my recollection, Jake in the Box and Carls Jr. were significantly better.

And the odor emanating from a Subway restaurant near my work makes me nauseous. And I used to like it, long ago.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
But it smells like a wet goat. Bleurgh.
I have no clue how a wet goat smells.

Do you have any other hobbies ?

-t

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 9, 2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I have no clue how a wet goat smells.

Do you have any other hobbies ?

-t
Hobbies?

I grew up in the countryside, in Denmark. On Røsnæs, more specifically. Where it rains, on average, about 200 days a year, and every farm in the area keeps cows and sheep/goats. There’s no such thing as not being exposed to the smell of wet goats, except if you’re one of those lucky (sometimes) people who have no sense of smell, of course.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2011, 08:08 PM

Subway in the UK bugs me. In the US, whenever I ate at Subway in the states, I always got oil and vinegar dressing. They don't have that here. The closest they've got is sweet onion, which is way too sweet and not that close. Disappointing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules