Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Xbox One / UI / Kinect / Controller Discussion

Xbox One / UI / Kinect / Controller Discussion
Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Nov 25, 2013, 03:29 PM

Looking forward to hearing from any other early adopters but my quick impressions

The dashboard is lighting fast. Although i'll agree with impressions that the friends list is buried along with party chat options, the remainder of the dashboard UI is a huge improvement over X360.

Pins, finally a homepage full of the items you use frequently, from ESPN and Killer Instinct to Achievements and Netflix everything you prefer to have quick access to can be put here.

Snap, Gimmicky? Yes. More or less something to show off your console with but real world it has limited use. Example from last night, playing BF4 with AP and some friends in lobby i'm ready to go but decided while i'm waiting "Xbox, Snap ESPN" and in less than 3 seconds live sportscenter is playing on the right side of my screen, as my game begins "Xbox, Unsnap". I'm not sure this ability will lend it self to daily use but a quick snap of IE to search for a achievement guide/game guide could be useful.

Kinect, Mehh. Log me in when i walk into the room, cool. Voice commands and party chat, cool. Head tracking, dumb. The actual usage of motion controls remains to be seen for me.

Controller, The best controller ever made (X360 IMO) ,improved. Not a huge fan of the new bumpers they feel stiff and hard to depress but everything else is a great evolution. The sticks are slightly smaller with much better grip and the triggers are much smoother with a shorter throw. Impulse Triggers, fantastic. Playing Forza 5 each shift can be felt in the right trigger with a short small burst along with some ABS breaking in the left during a loss of traction. Remains to be seen how developers utilize this but so far it makes rumble relevant in the next gen (i've had it turned off anytime prior) Most importantly the impulse is much more tame than the normal rumble in previous iterations.

Console, Ugly. Design is terrible although the Kinect doesn't look terrible on the shelf.

So far It seems like a great start with some improvement coming, missing apps, poor to react Kinect voice (no natural speech, you must use specific commands) but the potential is great.

Minor gripes...

Why can't i sort my friends list by active/online
Instant on requires "Standby", not a fan
Game installations take years (although you can play some parts about 10% in) example, BF4 campaign was available after 10 minutes but multiplayer took the entire install (45mins?)
How can i choose which "Snap" i'm listening too?
HBO go MIA
Time Warner App MIA
Power Brick WTF year is this
AA Batteries...no seriously WTF year is this

More to come as i spend more time with the system, any specific questions just ask!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 03:33 PM

YEAAAAAAHHHHH

(next gen is fully here)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
AA Batteries...no seriously WTF year is this
This is a good thing. What are you gonna do if you battery dies while gaming?

"Oh gee, I guess I'll get out this USB cable, plug it into the front of my XBOX and hope it reaches the couch"

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Nov 25, 2013, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
YEAAAAAAHHHHH

(next gen is fully here)
...why now?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 04:56 PM

...why now?
Both consoles are released

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 25, 2013, 04:57 PM

Is there any way of seeing

How much hard drive space is used?
The battery level of a controller? (360 was a quick press of the home button in the UI)

Liking mine so far, now that the first day downloads are all done (thank you fibre internet connection), the voice control is iffy for me, sometimes I'm sitting there saying the same thing over and over again. I found out lastnight that IE has hand movement control, I managed to pull the menu up from the bottom of the screen and put it back again. Haven't waved arms around enough yet to see what else has gesture control.

I also tried out a few video sites, nowtv.com (the Sky version of Netflix, I suppose) won't play videos because it runs on Silverlight video, and it wants to download a plugin for Windows, Silverlight being a Microsoft technology...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

No. Apparently the file management is automatic and it will delete games as necessary.

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Nov 25, 2013, 05:05 PM

No, and add that to my complaint list

The battery level of a controller? (360 was a quick press of the home button in the UI)
Don't know the answer to this but if not add it to the list

I also tried out a few video sites, nowtv.com (the Sky version of Netflix, I suppose) won't play videos because it runs on Silverlight video, and it wants to download a plugin for Windows, Silverlight being a Microsoft technology...
lololololololol

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 05:07 PM

lololololololol
Didn't this happen on the 360 as well? I wouldn't consider internet browsing high on the list of concerns on launch (or ever).

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Nov 25, 2013, 05:08 PM

This is a good thing. What are you gonna do if you battery dies while gaming?

"Oh gee, I guess I'll get out this USB cable, plug it into the front of my XBOX and hope it reaches the couch"
I see the point but I think for me the play and charge is a must buy, because it sounds more like this...

"Oh gee, i guess I'll run down the stairs and dig through a drawer for some AA batteries that i probably bought in 1998, now let me put them in....wait + / - which one has the nipple..."

Kevin Bogues  (op)
Senior User
Nov 25, 2013, 05:09 PM

Didn't this happen on the 360 as well? I wouldn't consider internet browsing high on the list of concerns on launch (or ever).
It did but the irony of it is pure M$... Hey silverlight is great...forgot to put in on our own products...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 25, 2013, 05:21 PM

I see the point but I think for me the play and charge is a must buy, because it sounds more like this...

"Oh gee, i guess I'll run down the stairs and dig through a drawer for some AA batteries that i probably bought in 1998, now let me put them in....wait + / - which one has the nipple..."
I should make a clarification – I like external power solutions. Using the cord on the 360 controller to charge the battery sucked. Swapping out batteries is great. DS4 having internal battery sucks.

Edit: Between remotes and the apple wireless keyboard I still needs the AAs

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2013, 07:15 PM

The PS3 charging cable length was a joke, the Xbox 360 charging cable is long enough for me to charge and sit on the couch, which I greatly prefer over swapping out batteries.

In the PS4 thread you (Dakar) mentioned not realizing how much you use your right had to control the D-pad, I use my right hand exclusively to use the D-pad, since I can maintain walking around while my right thumb selects the appropriate action. Having to use my left hand to use the D-pad seems rather, annoying.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 26, 2013, 12:04 PM

Kinect, Head tracking, dumb.
Really? I could see it being more useful than sixaxis for looking around in BF4, but I've always been curious how it works so that you look left without actually looking away from the tv.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
In the PS4 thread you (Dakar) mentioned not realizing how much you use your right had to control the D-pad, I use my right hand exclusively to use the D-pad, since I can maintain walking around while my right thumb selects the appropriate action. Having to use my left hand to use the D-pad seems rather, annoying.
That's exactly why I do it. Getting used not having access, but it slowing me down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules