Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Click update and can't use computer for an hour

Click update and can't use computer for an hour
kevs
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2019, 04:43 PM

I clicked the pesty Apple update badge and now frozen out from working for 1 -2 hours. NO real warning that this is a large update or even what it's regarding. Or how long it will take. Apple seems to be the master of the sneak attack. Anyone have strategies for this?

I don't why I keep falling for this. I'm consciousness guy who likes to get things done quickly but seem to keep falling for this; and then I'm shut out of my computer for the day.

There were no option drop own visible.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 19, 2019, 04:59 PM

macOS tells me what the update is, before I click [Update]. OS updates always lock you out for a time. App updates, or feature updates (Safari, iTunes, Remote Desktop) may want a reboot after, but do not lock you out in the meantime.

In SysPrefs -> Software Update -> [Advanced...], I have [_] "Install macOS updates" unchecked. So it presents updates to me, and I can choose when/if to apply them.

[_] "Install app updates" and [_] "Install system data files and security updates" is also unchecked. Again, so it leaves me in control of the schedule.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2019, 08:36 PM

Yes, thanks went and unchecked the OS.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 19, 2019, 11:43 PM

Better uncheck the "system data files and security updates" too. Security updates are really OS updates.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2019, 12:37 AM

I don't do full OS until 8 months all bugs are out. or most are... but why not get security updates automatic?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 20, 2019, 12:41 AM

Because they're really OS updates. ie - they will lock you out of your computer, same as official OS updates. Until they're done.

You do want security updates. But you'll want manual control over when they happen.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2019, 01:42 AM

ok good idea. Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules