Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: 15" Powerbook w/ 17" LCD Stuido Display!

FS: 15" Powerbook w/ 17" LCD Stuido Display!
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 05:01 PM

I need to know if anyone wants this before I post on eBay.

Here it is:
Product Specifications: 15" Albook (Backlit Keyboard!!!!) and 17" LCD Studio Display (And, it'll come with DVI to ADC Apadter in box (3 months old).
Processor: PowerPC G4 1.0 GHZ Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Memory: 512 MB DDR SDRAM
Hard Drive: 80GB 4,200RPM UltraDMA ATA/100 Hard Drive
Optical: Combo 8x DVD-ROM / 24x10x24 CD-RW Drive
Ports and Connectors: 1-Digital Video Interface (DVI) port; 1-TV Out S-Video port; 2-USB 2.0 ports; 1-FireWire 800 port; 1-FireWire 400 port; 1-Network RJ-45 port; 1-Modem RJ-11 port; 1-Audio Line In port; 1-Audio Line Out port
Operating System: Mac OS X (10.3.5)

Included Software: Mac OS X Mail, iChat, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, iSync, iCal, DVD Player, FAXsft, Microsoft Office v. X and many more.

This powerbook is only 11 months old now and is in EXCELLENT condition, no dead pixels and all taken care of like a baby. I even completed the Halo game with this powerbook and 17 LCD studio display, it worked EXCELLENT.

(I can add Microsoft Office 2004, Adobe Photoshop CS, Adobe Illustrator CS, Adobe Indesign CS, Keynote 1.1, and more If you want to)

It also comes with original box, manuals, cds and Radtech powerbook cover called "PowerSleevz ".

You can't miss out this good deal. Am asking for 1,950 but decided to reduce to 1,850 for a good deal.

Feel free to email me at [email protected]

( Last edited by Matt OS X; Sep 15, 2004 at 11:27 PM. )

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 11:15 AM

How much for just the PB?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
How much for just the PB?
I would say $1,200- But I want to sell the whole set together.
( Last edited by Matt OS X; Sep 3, 2004 at 09:01 AM. )

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

nesuser2
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 02:21 PM

Well, I'm somewhat interested but isn't there another way you can do things other than holding the PB until your new mac gets in? You're asking somebody to send a money order and then give you atleast an extra week after you receive it. Usually it's a stretch asking somebody to pay with money order...

nesuser2
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 02:26 PM

Oops....double post
( Last edited by nesuser2; Sep 2, 2004 at 05:23 PM. )

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by nesuser2:
Well, I'm somewhat interested but isn't there another way you can do things other than holding the PB until your new mac gets in? You're asking somebody to send a money order and then give you atleast an extra week after you receive it. Usually it's a stretch asking somebody to pay with money order...
Hey, I'm glad you asked me this question because I would like to buy a new G5 iMac, the order will come in 3-4 weeks. The problem is that I need to get the money to make sure that someone's interested in it. I will order G5 iMac the same day when i get your money. I can't sell my powerbook and where will i store all of my informaton and etc? (I will have no access to a computer). That's the problem. If you're willing to wait for like 3 weeks, then that'd be perfect. Or we can work things out? Like pay in some now then some later? Something like that.
( Last edited by Matt OS X; Sep 2, 2004 at 04:32 PM. )

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 10:48 PM

Anyone??

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2004, 12:53 AM

I'll take it, PM or email me direct.

Ike

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 08:13 AM

It's still for sale, anyone? I want to sell the whole package, not just powerbook.

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2004, 11:55 PM

still for sale-- $1,850
( Last edited by Matt OS X; Sep 15, 2004 at 05:09 PM. )

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2004, 05:24 AM

Is it possible we don't have to wait till you get your new iMac? can you just transfer all the data you have into external drives or something? it's a good deal but the hassle to wait another three weeks is not really good idea.

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 10:47 PM

I just called a nearby apple store and they said they'll get 20" G5 iMac this weekend. So- the good news is that you dont have to wait for 3-4 weeks. Once we make a deal that you pay me, I'll go to store and get g5 imac right away and send you my item right away.

HOpe some of you out there are interested in this for 1,850 + shipping. Thanks!

Matt

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2004, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by Matt OS X:
I just called a nearby apple store and they said they'll get 20" G5 iMac this weekend. So- the good news is that you dont have to wait for 3-4 weeks. Once we make a deal that you pay me, I'll go to store and get g5 imac right away and send you my item right away.

HOpe some of you out there are interested in this for 1,850 + shipping. Thanks!

Matt
I hope this is a good news?

JoeFriday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2004, 06:04 PM

just an FYI for everyone....

I emailed this seller 2 days ago and we had an agreement at his asking price.. I was just informed via email by him that someone else offered him more money and that it was 'sold to that person'

the seller didn't mention that he decided to up his asking price on here ($100 from what he and I agreed upon).. so whoever is buying this, be aware that there might be legal action ensuing

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2004, 10:32 PM

Wow, hope this not going to be nasty!.

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2004, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by JoeFriday:

I emailed this seller 2 days ago and we had an agreement at his asking price.. I was just informed via email by him that someone else offered him more money and that it was 'sold to that person'

the seller didn't mention that he decided to up his asking price on here ($100 from what he and I agreed upon).. so whoever is buying this, be aware that there might be legal action ensuing
Dude, you gotta chill out.. Relax... I didn't do anything illegally. It's just that I happened got a better offer from someone else. I'm sure most of you would do the same thing by taking a good offer, right?

Plus, there are millions of powerbooks out there and you shouldn't get upset if you didn't get mine. I'm sure you will find a good deal better than mine someday.

JoeFriday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 09:18 AM

I'd explain it here, but my attorney said to let him handle it

don't worry.. it'll all be explained in the letter.. a court date will be set up in Wisconsin.. hope you can make it

wbjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 10:12 AM

Man, you're crying about this small thing? Lawsuit? I think you are just doing this to scare the seller and it's kinda stupid.

Hey, there is no such law until they both come on the agreement by a written paper with their names on it. It was all talk and talk without any final words of the product will be sold and delivered to you.

I gotta say, Matt OSX, you don't have to worry about this immature behavior and go on with your day! He'll just cry and accuse lot of thing. Let him be.

WBjr
WBjr

JoeFriday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 10:32 AM

true.. and a signed email is now considered by law to be a written agreement.. an agreement was reached in that manner.. this is stuff you learn in Business Ethics 101

but whatever.. it'll get figured out in a week or so

JoeFriday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 10:55 AM

sorry.. was that supposed to mean something?

all I wanted was the equipment that the seller agreed to give me at his agreed price.. it's not like I was trying to screw him over.. he quoted a price and I said "fine.. just tell me where to send the money" in so many words

apparently he decided afterward that he wanted more money and reposted it on here at a higher price.. I'm not being a jerk here.. I turned down two other people with better units at the same price because I made a deal with this guy, and once I give someone my word, I stick to it.. certain ethics apply.. not to mention laws

I'll think about it over the weekend and figure out what I'm going to do.. sorry about making this a public spectacle

wbjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 10:58 AM

Life goes on. Move on. Bye.
WBjr

diehlr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 12:23 PM

While it was not cool that he backed out of the deal, you need to grow up. It's just a laptop. You still have your money so relax.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 02:36 PM

I don't think an underage people like you can file a suit. Better leave it to adults only.

I can understand if you're grieved over losing a great deal but let's look at this other way, you lost absolutely NOTHING out of this other than words and pictures of something you wanted.

Perhaps instead of paying a lawyer to cover up your insecurity, go find yourself a psychiatrist (fyi: they are cheaper).
( Last edited by Adam Betts; Sep 17, 2004 at 02:42 PM. )

amphora
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2004, 03:17 PM

We have divorced divorced our morals so far from business to the point that a guy who did something pretty low and was very disrespectful, is now being supported. The guy who is standing up and saying " Wait guys, there is something wrong here", is getting treated like he is insane.

I have had this happened to me several times before. I have never considered suing but it can make you quite angry. I have alo dealt with several people who have sold me a machine at an agreed upon price even though that had already got a higher offer. I would prefer to deal with and be the latter person, I'm sure most of you would as well, so if this is what soebody has to do to inject some sense of decency into procedings like this then why not just stay out of it.

mattshepherd
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 04:26 PM

I am the one who ended up purchasing it. I think we need to realize that you had not paid yet. I don't know how many times on these forums someone has agreed to purchase something I have been selling at a price and failed to come through with payment. So basically the rules I follow online is that an item is not sold until payment is made. Now as far as legal action, good luck! How many people a day don't pay for an eBay auction they won, many!!! Even though eBay states in their rules that bidding is a legal binding contract. I have never heard of one of those cases being prosecuted. Basically, when your selling something online I don't think there is anything wrong with looking for a buyer until a payment has been made.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by amphora:
We have divorced divorced our morals so far from business to the point that a guy who did something pretty low and was very disrespectful, is now being supported. The guy who is standing up and saying " Wait guys, there is something wrong here", is getting treated like he is insane.

I have had this happened to me several times before. I have never considered suing but it can make you quite angry. I have alo dealt with several people who have sold me a machine at an agreed upon price even though that had already got a higher offer. I would prefer to deal with and be the latter person, I'm sure most of you would as well, so if this is what soebody has to do to inject some sense of decency into procedings like this then why not just stay out of it.
Here's a summary for you:

1. Unknown Being read MacNN Forum > Marketplace

2. Unknown Being saw a deal that he liked

3. Unknown Being contacted the seller through unencrypted e-mail. Deal between two is still in discussion as no money have been paid or package being sent.

4. Seller found a better offer later on (it just doesn't make sense that you HAVE to accept the very first email you got from interested buyer. Emails from several people doesn't come in mailbox at same time)

5. Unknown Being got so mad so he registered 'JoeFriday' (anonymous username without any profile information or credibility) just to discredit Matt OS X, threatening with lawsuits.

Now tell me who's being low?

JoeFriday
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 04:53 PM

not quite, Adam.. good story, tho

I offered the seller his asking price.. he accepted.. we were working out the payment/shipping details, and two days after he agreed to sell it to me, he told me he got a better offer

seems to me I didn't do anything wrong.. yet I'm being low? funny!

Chrisfayaudio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2004, 09:05 PM

This has got to be the most intertaining post i have ever read. for one to justify a lawsuit under this context is unfathomable. i think if we all realize that this is a free market economy based on the highest price being king, the rediculous nature of this incident is apparent.,

If i where selling the computer, had agreed to sell it to someone at 1300, then received an offer for 1500 before payment was made, your damn right i would sell to the 1500.
anyone saying differently is either too rich for their own good and/or omish. seeing as omish arn't rich nor sell computers, your choice is clear.

Now had the higher offer been made followed by the original payment, thats a different story. but seriously man, thats rediculous to get angry cause you couldnt have your way. in no way is your email agreement a binding contnract. I cant count how many times a dead beat bidder has cost me huge final value fees from not following through on his agreement. at least in your case, your out absolultely nothing.

advice------ stop your bitching; in the time you've spent raging here and to whomever else, you could have found ten deals better than this guys. direct your anger at something more productive, it will be more bennificial for you in the end.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 12:28 AM

not quite, Adam.. good story, tho

I offered the seller his asking price.. he accepted.. we were working out the payment/shipping details, and two days after he agreed to sell it to me, he told me he got a better offer

seems to me I didn't do anything wrong.. yet I'm being low? funny!
I thought your lawyer want you to be quiet and let him handle it? In your previous post, you said "I'd explain it here, but my attorney said to let him handle it"

You've completely lost your credibility here, JoeFriday.

jbmitt
Sep 18, 2004, 02:24 AM

Wow...I can't believe this...save the legal fees for a new computer. While you're saving grow up and move on, life isn't always fair.

Forum Links
Forum Rules