Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 8, iPhone X

iPhone 8, iPhone X
Ham Sandwich
Sep 11, 2017, 09:51 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:50 AM. )

Brien
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2017, 11:49 PM

Apple will probably implement their own solution... I wouldn't bet on it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2017, 01:01 PM

The event opened with "All You Need is Love"
45/47

Ham Sandwich
Sep 12, 2017, 04:40 PM

[...deleted...]

P
Sep 13, 2017, 06:45 AM

In many ways, this will be a release that is a bit hard to sell. Wireless charging is nice, but a lot of things have it already. Face unlock is great, but it is only on the idiot-expensive model, and others have had it before. If it works better, great, but that is a hard argument to make. Basically the 8 is the quintessential s-model, while the X mostly sells on the design.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Ham Sandwich
Sep 13, 2017, 01:54 PM

[...deleted...]

Ham Sandwich
Oct 5, 2017, 09:42 AM

[...deleted...]

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2017, 01:05 PM

I... I... don't want a wired mousepad.

If my trackpad needs to sit on something with a wire, shouldn't it just have a wire?

Ham Sandwich
Oct 5, 2017, 02:23 PM

[...deleted...]

P
Oct 7, 2017, 12:48 PM

I never understood the need for a wireless keyboard in the first place. Wireless mouse OK, but keyboard?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2017, 01:27 PM

I like the clean look, which is why I don't want a wired charging pad on my desk, but in a general sense I agree.

It's nice for the one on my coffee table paired with my HTPC. Less tripping.

P
Oct 10, 2017, 02:47 PM

HTPC sure - I used to have an HTPC myself, and used a Logitech wireless desktop thingy for it - but that and for use with iPad are the exceptions.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2017, 03:04 AM

Dammit, Apple... it's already four minutes past!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2017, 03:11 AM

Ordered!

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2017, 01:16 PM

Looks like I managed to snag one from the November 3rd batch. Yay!

andi*pandi
Oct 27, 2017, 02:33 PM

which one did you order?

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2017, 02:59 PM

Black 256.

Because there's no bezel, I was tempted to go white for the first time, but in the end stuck with what I'm used to.

I could get away with the smaller size, but it's really nice having room for activities not be a question.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2017, 11:34 AM

Not to sound too hyperbolic, but the iPhone X is a game changer for me. Granted, I had been using an iPhone 5 for the last few months (I gave my 6S Plus to my husband), but this thing rocks. I honestly don't even notice Face ID. It works best when you have raise to wake turned on. I grab my phone and swipe up and before you know it, I'm at the home screen. I've seen videos where people complain about having to tap the screen first to wake it up, but as far as I'm concerned, "they're using it wrong". I immediately took to the lack of a home button. I haven't once tried pressing the bottom of my screen. I adapt to change quickly so I'm sure others will have a different experience. I've adapted to the swipe gestures easily as well. Compared to the 6/7 design, the X is miles ahead in appearance and quality feel. (I hated the look of the 6/7, I thought it was cheap looking). I like the look and feel so much I'm going without a cover for the first time. I've added AT&T's insurance plan just in case. This is also the first time I've used my iPhone one-handed. Maybe I'm a klutz but with the 6S Plus I would tend to flip the phone out of my hand when reaching down to push in the home button. The OLED screen is beautiful. Apple is being a little disingenuous with the whole no-bezel hype (I think the bezel is still significant). As Apple has stated, there is noticeable color shift when viewed at an angle but that seems to be an OLED thing. It happens to my Apple Watch as well. They are warning about possible subtle burn-in as well. Samsung makes amazing displays so I'm not too worried about that.

I got the Silver 256 version. I'd always gone with black in the past but I wanted the shiny stainless band. The space gray has a gray band and it looks like it would show fingerprints more. Also, the silver still has a black front.

TL;DR version: The iPhone X is awesome!

Ham Sandwich
Nov 5, 2017, 06:18 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 08:59 AM. )

OreoCookie
Nov 6, 2017, 12:23 AM

I had a look at the iPhone X in person, and I have to say wow. The silver iPhone X is tied with the black iPhone 4S in terms of best design. It's too bad I had to buy a phone last year … Just trying it for a short while, it is clear to me that Face ID is really a step forward, and not just a Plan B, because Apple couldn't figure out how to put a finger print sensor behind a display. It is seamless.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2017, 03:16 AM

Finally got mine going! Been using it about four hours.

The screen is very nice.
The notch isn’t bothersome.
With one exception, swiping for the home button is awesome. Took to it immediately. This may be a “duh” observation, but it feels so natural because after tapping a physical home button, swiping your thumb up to the screen is what happens anyway.

FaceID works well. There’s a tilt angle it likes which is a little off from my natural stance, but I’m sure I’ll acclimate. This is the exception with “swipe for home button”. I’m so used to having my still thumb on the home button, FaceID will unlock, and I’ll just stand there waiting for something to happen. I’m sure I’ll get used to this too.

The one thing which is kinda actively bad is when I’m typing, the crook of my hand keeps whacking the microphone button. It’s super annoying.

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2017, 04:02 AM

I just played with one in the local Apple store, and I have to agree with you on the home button. That just wasn't an issue. And I read that one of the advantages is that FaceID allows you to unlock your phone while checking notifications on the lock screen. By default, some of them are hidden (e. g. the content of emails), and you have to unlock your phone before they show up. In some sense, FaceID makes the authentication step transparent.

BTW, what color did you get, subego?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2017, 01:19 PM

Black... out of habit.

This was the first time I seriously considered another option though, since the silver doesn’t have the “bezel contrast” issue of previous, lighter colored iDevices.

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2017, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
This was the first time I seriously considered another option though, since the silver doesn’t have the “bezel contrast” issue of previous, lighter colored iDevices.
I've always had black iPhones so far, but I have to say, the black front, pearlescent back and the stainless steel rim looks so much better to me than the space gray. I really wish it were my year to buy a phone, but apart from cosmetics, my iPhone 7 is still perfect.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2017, 11:18 PM

I’m going to bet the silver takes fingerprints better. The back of my phone looks all smudgy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2017, 07:52 AM

Now that I’ve spent more time with the phone, I’m loving it. Feels like a new device in a way the last three haven’t.

FaceID has its flaws, but it’s just so much better than TouchID it doesn’t matter.

The skinny bezel may be too much of a good thing, at least with my hands. That problem with accidentally activating the microphone with my palm when I’m typing is unbelievably annoying.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 9, 2017, 10:05 AM

[...deleted...]

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2017, 03:12 PM

Except for a bumper on the 4 to fix the antenna, I’ve always gone nekkid. Only broke one so I’m going to risk it with the X.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2017, 03:14 PM

And so it doesn’t seem like I’m being unnecessarily whiny about the mic being activated, it can crash Safari... I’ve lost four posts mid composition in two days of use.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2017, 04:24 AM

Unintended design clash... I find myself doing a home button swipe in Safari instead of the tap for tabs and bookmarks. I don’t think they were meant to share like that.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 10, 2017, 11:16 AM

[...deleted...]

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2017, 06:09 PM

I can’t figure out why... I kinda like the notch.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2017, 06:32 PM

Winter hit Chicago today.

Can confirm: cold jacks the touchscreen. Bad Apple.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 11, 2017, 01:16 AM

I’ve found a grip which better isolates my palm from the microphone button, but that puts my stubby thumb just out of “natural” reach of the home swipe.

Now, my hasty attempts to unlock the phone abortively pull up notifications.

Brien
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2017, 03:18 AM

You’re colding it wrong.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2017, 11:30 PM

I’m willing to accept this is the truth. Not every device can accommodate every body. I’ll have to deal with it regardless of how frustrating it is.

Except when tapping the microphone crashes Safari and destroys everything you’ve typed. This accommodates no body.

Ham Sandwich
Nov 16, 2017, 08:59 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:00 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2017, 03:59 AM

I give up.

Shut off dictation.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2017, 12:18 AM

Now that I’ve fixed that problem, the only other thing is the do not disturb icon got displaced by the notch.

This will materially **** me over at some point. I forget it’s on every day.

I have no schedule, so unfortunately, putting it on a timer won’t help.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2017, 12:23 AM

Now, my hasty attempts to unlock the phone abortively pull up notifications.
This turned out to be an OS issue. Reboot fixes it.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2017, 07:47 PM

I couldn’t wait for the Apple version and impulse bought a wireless charger. I know it’s a small thing, but I’m in love with just putting the thing down right before I go to bed rather than fiddle with plugging it in. That’s invariably way more difficult than it should be when lying in bed.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2017, 03:26 PM

FaceID isn’t anywhere near as efficient as TouchID. When TouchID is working well, I’m authenticated before the phone is in front of my face. FaceID will never beat that.

What’s surprised me is how little I care.

The biggest contributor is how freakishly solid FaceID is for a 1.0 release from Apple. Failure to unlock is 1 in 100. They knocked this one out of the park.

andi*pandi
Dec 19, 2017, 05:25 PM

I couldn’t wait for the Apple version and impulse bought a wireless charger. I know it’s a small thing, but I’m in love with just putting the thing down right before I go to bed rather than fiddle with plugging it in. That’s invariably way more difficult than it should be when lying in bed.
It's wireless charging in the car I'm looking forward to.

OreoCookie
Dec 19, 2017, 09:29 PM

FaceID would be a boon during my bike rides: due to sweat and in cold weather gloves, I end up having to enter my pin over and over again. Glad to hear Apple did a great job out of the gate. When I replace my iPhone 7, I expect Apple to have nailed FaceID

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2017, 03:57 PM

I’ve been thinking about it, and the conclusion I’ve reached is what makes FaceID work so well is the amount of “effort” required by the user for it to function.

It’s not surprising Apple could make good facial recognition software. The hurdle is getting users to point the invisible sensor in the right place.

I’d say 10-20% of the time I don’t get it right, thus causing a failure to unlock, but the system has trained me unconsciously how to fix it. I tilt either the phone or my head a few degrees and poof... it unlocks.

This may be mildly frustrating, and as I said earlier, there’s an efficiency hit, but it turns out (to me) all that is far less bothersome than a feature which just shits the bed if your thumb is moist.

Full disclosure: genetic lottery gave me sweaty hands and fingers.

andi*pandi
Dec 25, 2017, 11:56 PM

So, can anyone recommend a good case for an iphone 8? or should I start a new thread? #santawasnice

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2017, 01:09 AM

Congrats!!!

I’m a noodist, so no help unfortunately. I’m in love with wireless charging, so you may want to check it out before committing to a case which borks it.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 7, 2018, 10:38 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 09:38 AM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2018, 01:26 PM

You’re popping it wrong.

KrusaPisk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2018, 07:50 AM

What does this mean? What 3d scanner Iphone X has? Or do they call Face ID a 3d scanner? I'm kinda confused.
( Last edited by KrusaPisk; Feb 5, 2018 at 04:15 AM. Reason: message looks senseless withous showing the source of information.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules