Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Odd texting behavior

Odd texting behavior
Thorzdad
Feb 17, 2018, 09:49 PM

My wife, daughter and I have iDevices. They have phones, and I have a wifi iPad Air. When we group text, they always come through as a Messages text for all of us, as they should.

My daughter just sent us a text with a picture. She also included her mother-in-law in the group text, and she has an Android phone of some sort. The text came to my wife as a standard text, not as a Messages text. It came to me as an email with a photo and the text part was an attached .txt file

Anyone have any idea what happened? Was including an Android phone in the group the culprit? FWIW, my wife’s phone is AT&T and my daughter’s and the MIL’s phones are Verizon. My iPad is wifi only.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2018, 02:11 AM

My vote is this being due to the SMS message. Your iPad can’t receive one since there’s no cellular number attached.

Fun fact: though you can’t make calls, cellular enabled iPads get a phone number.

Thorzdad  (op)
Feb 18, 2018, 09:42 AM

But, since the text originated on an iPhone, and two of the three recipients were also iDevices, shouldn't they, at least, have received the text as a Messages text? Does the existence of a lone non-Apple device in the receiving group mean everyone gets downgraded?

P
Feb 20, 2018, 12:34 PM

Yes, it means everyone gets downgraded. The reason is that if the message were sent to you and your wife as an iMessage and as a text to MIL, any response from either of you would only go to one side of the group. In fact, there is no way for you to send a message to the MIL Android phone at all, nor for her to respond to you, so at some point including both an iPad and an Android phone in the same message chain would break the illusion.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules