Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Dashboard Question

Dashboard Question
stevesnj
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 06:27 PM

How do I get a widget to stay on the desktop like Konfabulator does?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

ryju
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 06:37 PM

Start dragging the widget out of the dashboard and while still holding the mouse down hit F12 to make Dashboard go away.

Of course if you go back to Dashboard it will reset, since it's not really a feature. As far as I know..

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 06:40 PM

Tnks it works but stays on top always ...to me a desktop widget should remain on the desktop...am I wrong on this? I hope Apple updates dashboard to allow this to happen even with restarts.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 29, 2005, 06:46 PM

You're missing the Dashboard metaphor.

They're not actual applications, they live on the Dashboard layer, allowing you to have quick access to wee bits of information. Just like when you glance at your speedometer in your car - hence the name.

You're exploiting a bug in the Dashboard at the moment. I can't see it being 'fixed' into how you want it, and hope it never is. It's not what widgets are for, I'm afraid.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 06:53 PM

Well i guess Konfabulator got it wrong...lol...i think i will go to Konfabulator....anyone know how to turn off Dashboard so it doesnt load at stratup?

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Black Book
You're missing the Dashboard metaphor.

They're not actual applications, they live on the Dashboard layer, allowing you to have quick access to wee bits of information. Just like when you glance at your speedometer in your car - hence the name.

You're exploiting a bug in the Dashboard at the moment. I can't see it being 'fixed' into how you want it, and hope it never is. It's not what widgets are for, I'm afraid.
That's silly, it's not a bug.

What if i'm typing an email and want to include a phone number? I activate Dashboard and look up the number. Now I still need to be able to see the number to type it into my email, so I drag the address book widget out of the Dashboard layer to where I can see it while completing my email.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2005, 07:28 PM

Why don't you use the proper Address Book application?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2005, 07:29 PM

It is a bug. When you go back to Dashboard, the widget gets stuck on the Dashboard layer like it was supposed to be in the first place. If it weren't a bug, it would stay on the desktop and you'd be able to drag any widget to the desktop, not just new ones (which probably exhibit the bug because the actual widget isn't properly created yet).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2005, 07:31 PM

I have another dashboard question.
How do you add widgets to the 'widget dock' at the bottom. I have tried adding them to the /Library/Widgets folder but this doesn't seam to work, anyone else got any ideas?

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
It is a bug. When you go back to Dashboard, the widget gets stuck on the Dashboard layer like it was supposed to be in the first place. If it weren't a bug, it would stay on the desktop and you'd be able to drag any widget to the desktop, not just new ones (which probably exhibit the bug because the actual widget isn't properly created yet).
When I asked the same question a few months ago, it was touted as a feature that was added in build 294...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=241860

Now it's a bug?

TETENAL... Forget address book, what if I needed info from a widget that didn't have a proper application like weather or flight tracker, or one of the hundreds of widgets that have yet to be created?

osxisfun
Apr 29, 2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by mattyd
When I asked the same question a few months ago, it was touted as a feature that was added in build 294...

Now it's a bug?

TETENAL... Forget address book, what if I needed info from a widget that didn't have a proper application like weather or flight tracker, or one of the hundreds of widgets that have yet to be created?
then those types of apps should allow copying of text..

if that's possible with dashboard. i don't know...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2005, 08:07 PM

Now it's a bug?
It would appear that my opinion differs from Matt's opinion half a year ago. But the behavior certainly doesn't seem intentional � if it is, it must have been implemented in a drug-induced stupor.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 08:09 PM

Isn't that how most softeware development happens? Nicotine, caffeine and all the rest of it.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 08:14 PM

Isn't that how most softeware development happens? Nicotine, caffeine and all the rest of it.
hatred of Microsoft?

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 09:36 PM

How do I actually DEINSTALL a widget w/o deleting it manually from the system?

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

wreising
Apr 29, 2005, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by malique
Widgets you install are located in user/library/widgets

I couldn't find a way to pull one out of the Dashboard widget drawer.
A beautiful woman who is not a fool is a dangerous thing.
- Nero Wolfe

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2005, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by stevesnj
How do I get a widget to stay on the desktop like Konfabulator does?
This (multiple Widgets on the desktop) will be possible next week, via a third-party application.

stevesnj  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by saddino
This (multiple Widgets on the desktop) will be possible next week, via a third-party application.

...and you know this how???

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2005, 01:25 AM

I always hated the idea of widgets on the desktop. Why would I want to clutter up my desktop with a million inconsistent GUI elements.

For me, Dashboard takes the best of Konfabulator and places it in a place that's easily accessible.

Also, if you are typing an email, and need a phone number from address book, why not just open the address book? I agree that Address book should be selectable within Dashboard, but that's another thread.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by saddino
Ick... I'll remember to avoid that.

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2005, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by malique
Just move the widget to another folder? If it's not in /Library/Widgets or ~/Library/Widgets then it wont show up.
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

d.fine
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mediaman_12
I have another dashboard question.
How do you add widgets to the 'widget dock' at the bottom. I have tried adding them to the /Library/Widgets folder but this doesn't seam to work, anyone else got any ideas?
Copy the widget into the /Library/Widgets folder on your hard drive (not inside a users folder) and then log-out and then log back in and the widgets should be in the widgets dock. Worked for me.

edit : I also removed the visible '.wdgt' extension and left just the name, maybe that has something to do with it. Good luck.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2005, 09:04 AM

What if i'm typing an email and want to include a phone number? I activate Dashboard and look up the number. Now I still need to be able to see the number to type it into my email
Just copy and paste the number?

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 30, 2005, 12:06 PM

Well, I installed Tiger last night. I can niether copy/paste from widgets nor drag them to the desktop, so I'm screwed from both ends.

Seriously... are people able to copy text from widgets by just highlighting it? When I try it just moves the widget.

Edit: OK I figured out how to drag them out -- you have to do it with a new widget from the bar at the bottom of the screen, I was trying it with widgets I already had open. Still haven't figured out how to copy from them.
( Last edited by mattyd; Apr 30, 2005 at 12:22 PM. )

mattyd
Senior User
Apr 30, 2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
Also, if you are typing an email, and need a phone number from address book, why not just open the address book? I agree that Address book should be selectable within Dashboard, but that's another thread.
I thought the whole point of Dashboard was that you didn't have to open applications.

Also, you can open Address Book, by clicking the red dot in the address book widget.

Forum Links
Forum Rules