Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 1/3 of US adults diabetic or pre-diabetic

1/3 of US adults diabetic or pre-diabetic
ambush
Banned
May 28, 2006, 12:53 PM

http://digg.com/science/One-Third_of...r_Pre-Diabetic

We need a "Only in America" badge.
Anyone?

Secret__Police
Mac Enthusiast
May 28, 2006, 01:23 PM

It's the high fructose corn syrup in all the soda pop.

tavilach
Mac Elite
May 28, 2006, 02:53 PM

I hate this "Only in America" crap. You're generalizing an entire nation.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

ambush  (op)
Banned
May 28, 2006, 05:47 PM

Yeah, statistics are generalization.

Kevin
Baninated
May 29, 2006, 12:06 PM

Only in..

ambush  (op)
Banned
May 29, 2006, 12:48 PM

rottttfllll

Monique
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 12:58 PM

The consumption of sugar has nothing to with diabetes. Because you can find sugar is the vast majority of food; then food becomes dangerous to a diabetic. Diabetes means that the pancreas does not process sugar properly.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2006, 07:09 PM

digg post ftw.

-Owl

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 07:35 PM

Diabetes is prevalent everywhere just not in the US. It mostly has to do with diet and lifestyle. India has one of the largest population of people with diabetes (35 million+ known cases). China also has a large population of people with diabetes. It's no where close to being "only in America."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2006, 07:38 PM

Interesting, Albert. Source?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
May 29, 2006, 07:40 PM

Sure thing.

http://www.idf.org/home/index.cfm?node=37

My aunt is a doctor working in India right now. According to her being a doctor who specializes in diabetes in India can get you very rich very fast.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 29, 2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
The Canadian version of Bobby Hill?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ambush  (op)
Banned
May 29, 2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
The consumption of sugar has nothing to with diabetes. Because you can find sugar is the vast majority of food; then food becomes dangerous to a diabetic. Diabetes means that the pancreas does not process sugar properly.
You mean you don't acknowledge that high sugar diets can lead to diabetes

Monique
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 11:46 AM

No it has nothing to do with it. It is a simply a dysfunction of the pancreas. You will have other problems if you have a high sugar diet; like an increase in weight, problems with your teeth. Before you go crazy here Ambush, I worked for the Quebec Diabetes Association.

Sugar itself will not cause diabetes, before insulin existed people were put on strict diet with no sugar at all but they would still have huge problems, why because you can find sugar in almost every type of food. So, for some who is diabetic or prone to it (meaning their pancreas does not process sugar at all) any type of sugar will be dangerous.

Intake of high sugar will not cause diabetes. Even today no one really know what cause diabetes, they have doubts but no proof. But, I must they are getting better at treating it.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-myths.jsp
Read #3.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2006, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
Nope. Neither do I.

I suppose that in combination with a sedentary lifestyle, high-sugar diets might indirectly lead to diabetes. This logic comes from the theory that obesity might lead to diabetes, and high-sugar diets combined with sedentary lifestyles can cause obesity. But there is no direct causal link between high-sugar diets and diabetes; you have to add links in the chain between the two.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ambush  (op)
Banned
May 31, 2006, 02:58 PM

Always glad to learn something new
I stand corrected.

*Munches a MilkyWay*

finboy
May 31, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Secret__Police
It's the high fructose corn syrup in all the soda pop.
And in everything else, too.

I developed diabetes after eating several years of a low fat, high carb diet, not realizing that HIGH CARBS (even low sugar) could promote diabetes. Lifestyle doesn't help -- if I could work out an hour per day I'd be able to lick it, for now. It was a long term thing, and I should have done things differently when I was younger. It's not just a disease for alcoholics anymore.

Diabetes is no fun, so heed the words of your elders. Don't eat junk, get off your a$$ and work out. In ten years, you'll notice the difference.

finboy
May 31, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Nope. Neither do I.

I suppose that in combination with a sedentary lifestyle, high-sugar diets might indirectly lead to diabetes. This logic comes from the theory that obesity might lead to diabetes, and high-sugar diets combined with sedentary lifestyles can cause obesity. But there is no direct causal link between high-sugar diets and diabetes; you have to add links in the chain between the two.
Not true. The link is in insulin resistance. You can develop it by being obese, or out of shape, or being a sugar junky. The reason so many folks are pre-diabetic is because their pancreas haven't given out yet, but they're riding on too much insulin most of the time. So...sugar can cause insulin resistance, which then causes diabetes. Even healthy, active people can get Type 2 from too much sugar intake -- I've seen several of my 19, 20 and 21 year old students develop it. Sad.

Monique
Mac Elite
May 31, 2006, 05:03 PM

You need a strong pre dispostion to diabetes to develop it. Being fat alone won't make you a diabetic. It does not help your heart or your brain to be fat but it might and doctors are not totally sure make you into a diabetic.

Like I am hypoglycemic and I could not develop in this world or the next develope diabetis.

ghporter
Administrator
May 31, 2006, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
No it has nothing to do with it. It is a simply a dysfunction of the pancreas. You will have other problems if you have a high sugar diet; like an increase in weight, problems with your teeth. Before you go crazy here Ambush, I worked for the Quebec Diabetes Association.

Sugar itself will not cause diabetes, before insulin existed people were put on strict diet with no sugar at all but they would still have huge problems, why because you can find sugar in almost every type of food. So, for some who is diabetic or prone to it (meaning their pancreas does not process sugar at all) any type of sugar will be dangerous.

Intake of high sugar will not cause diabetes. Even today no one really know what cause diabetes, they have doubts but no proof. But, I must they are getting better at treating it.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. For Type I diabetes (formerly called insulin dependent or "juvenile" diabetes), it is well known that the cause is an autoimmune reaction that damages or destroys the islet cells in the pancreas. It almost always starts shortly after a noticable infection event, like chicken pox or mumps.

There's a genetic component to Type II (formerly non-insulin dependent or "adult onset" diabetes), but it's easy to see it being caused by (or triggered by) diet and lifestyle. I live in San Antonio, TX, one of the largest U.S. populations of diabetics and prediabetics. We have at least three major research projects going on at major medical schools and other research facilities RIGHT NOW that are working on this. The increased incidence of Type II diabetes is directly related to the increase in obesity in this population.

Take a look at this article from the International Diabetes Foundation, titled Fight Obesity Prevent Diabetes. Or this article from the Medical University of Wisconsin titled Childhood Obesity Causes Diabetes and Other Health Problems. Or any of these articles in Diabetes-A Joural of the American Diabetes Association..

Further, Type II diabetes is typically linked to later life, often after 40 years of age. Not so here-there are huge numbers of obese kids here, and yes, they are becoming Type II diabetics at an alarming rate.

Theories range from wearing out the pancreas to overwhelming insulin receptors in cells to some other issue, but yes indeed, too sweet a diet WILL cause Type II diabetes.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules